Qilin

Was there ever any question which of you would relocate?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

As I've posted elsewhere, my husband and I are still deciding who will move -- me to the UK, or him to the States.

Did any of you go through a similar "decision" phase, or did you always intend that the UK fiance/spouse would move to the U.S.?

For those of who considered both options, why did you choose the one you did?

Just curious about other couples' experiences and reasoning. It seems that there are good reasons to go with either choice. :)

Cheers,

Lauren

Not yet ready to start the filing process. Still deciding which spouse will relocate: Husband to U.S. or wife to U.K.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey,

It honestly will be different for everybody. It's a very unique reason behind most decisions about this.

For myself and my now husband, we looked at him coming to Australia or me to the U.S.

We couldn't afford a wedding and the visa cost and housing cost for Australia, whereas he already had an apartment, a full time job, the visa is cheaper and is still working on his career, whereas I don't have a career. Just a job.

So for us it made sense for me to move right now, and we hope someday we can return to Australia to live and raise a family.

Good luck in your decision making, it isn't an easy one to make sometimes.

We did debate it, but in the end the decision became made for us, although a difficult one. Due to the new UK immigration rules there was never any realistic way that we would be together in his country any time soon. So he made the choice that he would leave his family and country behind and come to America, where there is at least a somewhat reasonable system and a country that welcomes him. We saved and got prepared for the process, filed, and now he's here.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was staying put and then the 2nd Grandchild and I moved.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

For us it was a financial decision that me and my son moved over to the US. My husband makes really good money here and what he does for a living isn't in high demand in sweden at all. My teacher salary over there didn't even come close to what he makes.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Jon and I discussed this but because the income requirements are so high there is no way he would be able to sponsor me. The bank I work for has a headquarters in England but I already checked and they would not sponsor me to move over and work at the UK headquarters. This made it so that the US was our only option.

We both were originally disappointed to find out that we couldn't really have a full on discussion and weigh pros and cons of both, but Jon is happy to come to the US. There are many things he loves when he comes over and he looks at it as a fresh start and as long as he is happy, then I am happy as well! We have plans to visit as often as we can so that he doesn't have to miss his Niece and Nephew too much and all of his family is excited at the opportunity to have a free place to stay when visiting Florida! So we have that as well which helped make us happy about being left with the decision to be in the US.

Kat & Jon

I am Kat the US Citizen

K-1 Timeline                                                       AOS Timeline

July 21 2016- K-1 Application mailed                                             May 1 2017- AOS/EAD/AP Mailed

July 27 2016- NOA1 Text/Email                                                     May 26 2017 - NOA 1 Text/Email x1 Received (Packet Fiasco ><)

August 1 2016- NOA1 Hard Copy                                                 May XXXX - NOA 1 Hard Copies Received

Sept 15 2016- NOA 2 Text/Email                                                   XXXXXX - Biometrics  Appointment

Sept 20 2016- NOA 2 Hard Copy                                                  XXXXX -EAD/AP NOA 2 Text/Email

Oct 12 2016- NVC Received Case                                                XXXXX - EAD/AP NOA 2 Hard  Copy Received

Oct 14 2016- LND Case # Received                                             XXXXX - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

Oct 25 2016- Case In Transit to LND                                            XXXXX - AOS Interview/ Approval

Oct 28 2016- CEAC Status shows Ready                                     XXXXX- Green Card Received

Dec 13 2016- Medical

Jan 06 2017- Interview (Approved!)

Jan 10 2017- CEAC Status shows Issued

Feb 28 2017- POE Tampa

April 21 2017- Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Jon and I discussed this but because the income requirements are so high there is no way he would be able to sponsor me. The bank I work for has a headquarters in England but I already checked and they would not sponsor me to move over and work at the UK headquarters. This made it so that the US was our only option.

We both were originally disappointed to find out that we couldn't really have a full on discussion and weigh pros and cons of both, but Jon is happy to come to the US. There are many things he loves when he comes over and he looks at it as a fresh start and as long as he is happy, then I am happy as well! We have plans to visit as often as we can so that he doesn't have to miss his Niece and Nephew too much and all of his family is excited at the opportunity to have a free place to stay when visiting Florida! So we have that as well which helped make us happy about being left with the decision to be in the US.

I'm relocating to Tampa too :) How is your process going so far? When do you think you'll move?

For Myke & I it was a no brainer really - I never really grew up in the UK. I was originally born in Durham, but my family and I relocated when I turned 1 and I never came back to live in the UK until I turned 18 and started uni in Leeds. I never built a connection with the UK - my family were based in China and I didn't seem to share common ground with the UK.. but I grew up in American schools so I always felt very at home with Myke in the US. We also have three cats together in Florida.. So we never had any debate as to where we would live together.. the UK was never and will never be an option but we will always be happy to explore other countries! (It's a little different when its meant to be your "home country" but you don't ever feel at home at all, if that makes sense)

It'll be different to everyone really, but it is interesting to hear everyones stories.

September 26th 2009: Started Dating (L)

June 6th 2015: Engaged :wub:

June 29th: K-1 Petition Filed

July 8th: NOA1

July 30th: NOA2

August 24th: NVC Received Packet

August 28th: NVC Case number and Invoice ID Number Received

September 10th: Case READY

September 21st: Received Chinese Police Certificate

September 22nd: Scheduled Medical

September 25th: Received English Police Certificate

October 1st: Submitted Readiness form

October 2nd: MEDICAL :dead:

October 2nd: CEAC status updated to "ready"

October 7th: Received Korean Police Certificate

October 8th: CEAC status updated to "ready" (received medical results)

October 13th: CEAC status updated

November 9th: Interview / APPROVED

November 12th: Status to AP

November 13th: Status to ISSUED

November 17th: Received email from courier

November 18th: Passport Delivered

November 30th: Flying home :dance::wub::thumbs::dancing:

18 weeks from filing to entering the USA.

AOS TIMELINE:

March 25th, 2016: AOS/AP/EAD Sent off

March 29th, 2016: All forms accepted

April 5th, 2016: NOA1

April 15th, 2016: Biometrics letter received

April 22nd, 2016: Biometrics appointment

May 27th, 2016: EAD Card Produced

May 31st, 2016: AP approved

June 2nd: EAD Card mailed

June 4th: EAD/AP combo card received --- YAY :D

June 30th: GC being produced -- NO interview

July 7th: Card picked up by USPS

July 9th: GREEN CARD RECEIVED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I'm relocating to Tampa too :) How is your process going so far? When do you think you'll move?

Hurrah for more people in Tampa! We will have to put together a VJ meet and greet sometime!

Our process hasn't started yet. I continue to collect documents that we need so when we are ready to begin I can just send in the docs and be good to go. We are waiting for a couple of things regarding the City Council where Jon is from in order to make sure his Mum will be okay when he leaves the country. We hope that we can start the process in Spring of 2016 but its really a waiting game with the Council at this point. :bonk:

I currently live in Tampa and I am the USC sponsor, Jon will be the UK beneficiary. As with others I just hope that they reduce the requirements to move back in case later on Jon wants to be back with family over there since I hope we can keep it equal on missing family!!! I always hate it when I think about the time he will be away from his family but I understand its a sacrifice!

Kat & Jon

I am Kat the US Citizen

K-1 Timeline                                                       AOS Timeline

July 21 2016- K-1 Application mailed                                             May 1 2017- AOS/EAD/AP Mailed

July 27 2016- NOA1 Text/Email                                                     May 26 2017 - NOA 1 Text/Email x1 Received (Packet Fiasco ><)

August 1 2016- NOA1 Hard Copy                                                 May XXXX - NOA 1 Hard Copies Received

Sept 15 2016- NOA 2 Text/Email                                                   XXXXXX - Biometrics  Appointment

Sept 20 2016- NOA 2 Hard Copy                                                  XXXXX -EAD/AP NOA 2 Text/Email

Oct 12 2016- NVC Received Case                                                XXXXX - EAD/AP NOA 2 Hard  Copy Received

Oct 14 2016- LND Case # Received                                             XXXXX - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

Oct 25 2016- Case In Transit to LND                                            XXXXX - AOS Interview/ Approval

Oct 28 2016- CEAC Status shows Ready                                     XXXXX- Green Card Received

Dec 13 2016- Medical

Jan 06 2017- Interview (Approved!)

Jan 10 2017- CEAC Status shows Issued

Feb 28 2017- POE Tampa

April 21 2017- Wedding

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We definitely back-and-forthed for a while, and at one point actually decided on the UK. There are pros and cons either way, but in the end it was the easier system to get into the US and there's the size issue.... in the US, once you're inside you can go anywhere in a giant country. The UK, by contrast, is less than half the size of Colorado.

Also there were climate and family considerations... it was a difficult decision and we still sometimes wonder about it. Definitely pros and cons either way.

June 11th 2015 - NOA1. off to California Service Center :D

July 27th - NOA2 !!! much faster than expected

August 19th - rang NVC, got LND case number and told our file is 'about to go to London'

August 20th - booked medical at Knightsbridge for September 16th, 10:10am. Feels good.

September 1st - rearranged medical for October 5th, 13:30, because reasons.

September 4th - packet 3 received.

October 5th - medical completed at Knightsbridge. X-ray technician suggested playing Barry White during the procedure.

November 12th - visa interview. Nailed it!

November 20th - collected visa package from DX Southampton

December 6th - one way flight to Philadelphia!

December 31st - getting married! :wow:

NOA1 to Interview: 5 months and 1 day.

Hi there.

longdistancelovesongs.wordpress.com

https://instagram.com/jonathan9six

https://instagram.com/moose9six

https://twitter.com/Jonathan9six

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We did debate it, but in the end the decision became made for us, although a difficult one. Due to the new UK immigration rules there was never any realistic way that we would be together in his country any time soon. So he made the choice that he would leave his family and country behind and come to America, where there is at least a somewhat reasonable system and a country that welcomes him. We saved and got prepared for the process, filed, and now he's here.

Ooooh! What are the new rules about coming to the UK? I haven't looked into that at all. I thought it used to be really quite simple.

We didn't have any debate - well, she did mention not liking the cold... :) But for me, moving to the USA is all part of this amazing journey - I feel lucky to be presented with this new enormous country to live in and discover - and she is very happy to stay at home. (She also has two dogs who wouldn't like to emigrate)

*** N400 Citizenshi🇺🇸

Filed online: Apr 16, 2022

Interview APPROVED: Sep 28, 2022

Oath Ceremony: Sep 28, 2022

I-751 Green Card ROC

Mailed: Dec 6, 2018

Interview APPROVED: Oct 12, 2021 

EAD / AP / AOS

Filed at Chicago Lockbox: Mar 4, 2016

EAD and AP APPROVED: Apr 26, 2016

Green Card interview APPROVED: Dec 12, 2016

K1 - UK to USA

Proposed: Aug 7, 2015

Mailed I-129F: Aug 18, 2015

K1 visa APPROVED: Dec 2, 2015

P.O.E. @ Las Vegas: Jan 10, 2016

Elvis Wedding: Feb 19, 2016

No it was never a debate, once we decided our future was together it could only be me moving.

Joe loves his hunting and shooting, lives up a mountain, no way would I ever consider asking him to leave all that to live life in small town England :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Ooooh! What are the new rules about coming to the UK? I haven't looked into that at all. I thought it used to be really quite simple.

We didn't have any debate - well, she did mention not liking the cold... :) But for me, moving to the USA is all part of this amazing journey - I feel lucky to be presented with this new enormous country to live in and discover - and she is very happy to stay at home. (She also has two dogs who wouldn't like to emigrate)

It used to be yes, and then the new government took over.

US citizens are classed as non-EEA citizens, this means strict rules apply relating to financial test of means and there is no 'free movement' that would apply to EU specific citizens. Only the finances of the UK citizen are taken into account. There are no co-sponsors, offers from friends or family, or even specific living arrangements taken into account. The UK citizen must make £18,600 per year in a job that they have held for at least six months. For each child this increases a further £2,4000. The UK citizen can use savings, but this must be in the amount of £62,500 and held for six months. For each child this increases a further £6,000. You can do the conversion math on this and you suddenly realize the amount compared to the US is quite large. The statistics on this is staggering.in that a large number of Britons live on different means compared to those who may live in more wealthier economic areas. A large percent of the population would never be able to bring their spouse over to live. These rules have separated families and has been challenged multiple times, the latest will be heard in the Supreme Court. It has also made it more difficult for non-EEA spouses to even simply visit their UK citizen loved one. Many UK citizens immigrate to the US with the hope of bringing their spouse back with them one day, without realizing the difficulty. It's a subject of heavy debate.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

My fiancee graciously said she will come here to the USA. I come from a small family, brother and dad passed away so it leaves only me to take care of mum. We figured it would be easier for her to come here first to help with my mum because mum don't have all that many years left anyway. We figure that when mum passes, i should be able to retire if not retired already and then we will start the move over to England to be with her mum since her dad passed already too. We also have 2 wiggle butts (Dogs) now who do not like to travel. Guessing this is a 5 to 10 year window at most.

From what I am reading on the rules to move to England, we should be able to make it if it doesn't get any harder then it is now. Selling the house and banking the money would give us the money needed for the UK requirements. We will be able to live off the retirement accounts we have and social security if it is around.

Once her mum passes then it is off to any county that is warm all year round and has a large body of water next to or around it. Not saying the southern or western parts of the US are off the table! I would love to live in Hawaii but very very expensive.

This is the plan anyway at this point in time.

Our Timeline AOS Timeline

10/24/13 - Met online 04/30/16 - Sent AOS Forms I-864, I-485, I-765, I-131, G-325a, G-1145 with check

01/16/14 - Fell in love online 05/07/16 - Received text & email with case#

05/03/14 - Met for first time - He went to England 05/09/16 - Check cashed for $1,070.00

08/07/14 - She came to USA 1st time 05/13/16 - Received NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765

12/28/14 - She came to USA 2nd time 06/03/16 - Biometrics Appointment

02/10/15 - Officially engaged at the Grand Canyon 08/01/16 - Email & Text saying I-131 & I-765 Approved

04/27/15 - She came to USA 3rd time 08/06/16 - Received letters of approval for I-131 & !765

07/14/15 - She came to USA 4th time 08/12/16 - Received Combo card in US mail!

10/14/16 - Received RFE for proof of marriage

K1 VISA Timeline 10/15/16 - Sent in RFE paperwork

09/23/15 - Sent info to Rapid Visa 10/19/16 - Received text - AOS APPROVED!!!!

10/13/15 - Conformation from USCIS - NOA1 10/22/16 - Received hard copy of I-485 approval

11/06/15 - I-129F Approved! via USCIS Website! 10/22/16 - Received text - Your 2 year Greed card has mailed

11/13/15 - Received hard copy in mail - NOA2 10/25/16 - Received Green Card in the mail! - Yahoooo!

11/23/15 - Received by NVC (called on 24th)

11/24/15 - Called NVC and got LND#

11/30/15 - Case status at NVC: READY!

01/12/16 - Medical completed!

01/23/16 - Packet 4 received

01/27/16 - Interview - APPROVED!

02/05/16 - Visa In Hand

02/11/16 - POE - Ohio

04/02/16 - Wedding - Yahooo!

For those couples where both come from 1st world countries (US/Canada/UK/Germany/Australia/etc), it's a tough choice.

For those of us whose SO come from the 2nd or 3rd world, the choice is usually pretty simple, I think. There's no way that I would leave my Wall street job to move to Costa Rica. It's probably the nicest country in Central America, that's not saying much, with high crime (in the city) targeted towards visitors, ridiculously low wages and high unemployment, high cost of living, and 3rd world infrastructure. I'd have to work illegally because their Immigration timelines are worse than USCIS, and then it would take me about 8 years to make what I make here in a year. My wife wanted and hoped that I would move there, but our choice was clear, and she realized and accepted the fact.

The only thing I would suggest is communicate. Make lists to compare finances, employment, immigration, family, crime, raising family, infrastructure, etc... all the things that are important.

Edited by Eric-Pris

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

See Costa Rica mentioned a lot as a retirement destination, have thought about it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.