Charolastra93

Filing for K3 visa after getting married on a K1 and leaving without AP and GC

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Most people who did K-1 can't even fathom leaving their spouse for no good reason, because most people do not think that your reasoning makes sense. The idea of just leaving your spouse because your bored and don't want to wait out the 90 days to work, you've already been not working for so long, what's 90 more days, it just seems like there is more to the story.

I understand. I'm only 22 years old, married my boyfriend of 4 years (we're both very young) and I've been in the US for over 7 months now. Yes, I do feel bored here a lot for not being able to do normal stuff, and yes, I miss my family and friends A LOT.

From what I read, it could take up to 12 months to get all my stuff, but that could be wrong. My husband and I talked about it, and we thought it would be nice for us even if we have to wait a year apart, because then we both could save up money to move out of his parents' house, and I'd get to spend some time with my family as well.

I don't know what you're trying to say with "there's more to the story", I'm not trying to run away or anything, or just move back home forever. I do want to come back, but if I have to wait for a while, why can't I wait next to my family?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

It will take about 3 months to get the card.

Why don't you do some volunteering work while you wait if you are bored? I'm sure there are churches or soup kitchens that could do with a helping hand. Or an animal shelter or such. There is stuff to to just go out and look for it

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: Timeline

People are confused because the situation you are proposing is odd.

Right now you can file for AOS and yes it can take up to 12 months to process and be done with it. HOWEVER you can apply for a work permit when you apply for AOS and you will get that within 90 days. You can then apply for a drivers license and start working. This is the common route people do. The main advantage is you are in the US with your loved one.

If you do it the other way (leave and apply again) You will be overseas and when you arrive you will get a GC, can then start working and be reunited with your spouse.

The decision is ultimately yours. But to say I am leaving because I am bored/cant work/cant drive. Well it doesnt have to be that way. If you apply for AOS with in 90 days (not 12 months) all those problems will be solved.

Timeline

Instead of staying inside and be bored why not just file for AOS get out of the house and explore the US! Volunteer or try out a new hobby. Why leave your husband that you've probably waited a long time to be with. Why throw all that away just because you're "bored"? Doesn't make sense at all. I would not even for a million dollars leave my husband for another year apart.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well,

Sorry that i will be another one telling you that it doesn't make sense AT ALL.. Don't know if you guys were really desperate to get married or what, but why in the world paying all the fees related to the K1 then? You mentioned you didn't want to get married on a tourist visa, however you could have done it and then returned to Brazil or even getting married in Brazil...But whats so ever. Sorry, I don't know your current situation but apparently you didn't take care of the stuffs you were supposed to: Why not filling for AOS right after getting married or on a reasonable time manner? As of now you could have your AP/EAD...I believe that money was not the issue since you're considering to apply for the CR1 + Returning to Brazil.. Drivers License? Depending on the State you can get a DL before receiving your GC (I got mine as soon as I got here and I still don't have my GC)...And the cold truth: You think that having your Green Card is the magic pass to find a job? I don't know your skills, experience and etc, however finding a job here can take a while (Of course depending on what you're trying to do). And I assume you read the news about Brazil, right? The Economy there is slowing down (I would say it's going downhill) so the money you would be making to help moving out from his parents home would be 4x times lessened, unless you get paid the big bucks and you mentioned you're only 22 so I can't say if you have that much experience to find a job that fulfill your needs that fast and with so many digits compensation. And one more thing: You miss your family (I bet we all do) but you're intend to come back here for good and they won't be moving with you so how does it change?

I can be wrong, judgmental or whatever you can call it, however I think you're trying to spend some time apart to make sure you want to go further with this relationship that costs you so much (Being away from the family, friends and etc). If so, it's okay to have doubts, sometimes a time out is needed so we can organize our thoughts and etc, however being ''bored'' is way to far from a reasonable reason to leave everything behind. Have you ever thought how your CR1 Interview could be if you got asked why you returned to Brazil (I assume they will ask you why, it seems obvious).

Anywhoo, think before making such a move and being sorry later. If you need somebody to talk to you can reach out to me..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello, Charolastra93!

I have done that. I left the country in the middle of my adjustment of status (which was already extending for 11 months), without a parole.

Now my husband had to reapply for a CR-1 visa so I can go back home.

Honestly, don´t do this mistake. It was the worst, most impulsive and immature thing I have ever done in my life and the distance from your husband is not worth it any homesickness you may be feeling. Don´t do it!

Take my words...I wish I could go back in time.

The CR-1 takes a long time to be granted and you can´t even visit your beloved one.

It´s better to be sitting around and homesick with your beloved one than at "home" without him. It´s the most horrible thing a couple can go through.

Please don´t do it.

Message me in private if you´s like...

11/17/2013: Our first date
07/18/2014: We moved in together s2
08/23/2014: Got married
Nov./2014: Sent AOS packages (I was living in the US)
Dec. 2014: Biometrics (didn´t go through)
Jan. 2015: Biometrics for the second time (didn´t go through again)
Feb. 2015: Biometric for the third time!!!!! (it went through this time)
03/06/2015: Interview scheduled ----> didn´t happen due to inclement weather
05/13/2015: I returned to Brazil :´(
06/19/2015: Our former AOS + I-130 were denied
08/14/2015: We filed our new I-130 for CR-1 visa
08/18/2015: Received receipt by mail - Routed to CSC
10/07/2015: NOA2
10/28/2015: NVC Received
11/18/2015: Case number + IIN over the phone
11/19/2015: Received AOS Bill
11/19/2015: Submitted DS-261
11/20/2015: Paid AOS Fee
11/24/2015: Reviewed DS-261 over the phone + unlocked IV fee bill
11/25/2015: Paid IV fee bill
11/30/2015: Mailed AOS and IV packages
12/03/2015: IV fee showed paid
12/03/2015: Filled out and submitted DS-260
12/02/2015: Scan date
12/07/2015: Received email about scan date
12/31/2015: New email, same scan date
01/11/2016: Case Complete at NVC
01/13/2016: Interview appointment letter by email
01/27/2016: Medical exam in Rio
02/26/2016: Interview in Rio de Janeiro
03/05/2016: Arrived to the US
04/25/2016: Green Card came in the mail...Thank God, we are done for now.

event.png
event.png

I understand. I'm only 22 years old, married my boyfriend of 4 years (we're both very young) and I've been in the US for over 7 months now. Yes, I do feel bored here a lot for not being able to do normal stuff, and yes, I miss my family and friends A LOT.

From what I read, it could take up to 12 months to get all my stuff, but that could be wrong. My husband and I talked about it, and we thought it would be nice for us even if we have to wait a year apart, because then we both could save up money to move out of his parents' house, and I'd get to spend some time with my family as well.

I don't know what you're trying to say with "there's more to the story", I'm not trying to run away or anything, or just move back home forever. I do want to come back, but if I have to wait for a while, why can't I wait next to my family?

Missing is def a normal part. Some people have straight up divorced their spouses simply because they missed their home country too much. Most people will say stick it out.

The entire process can take up to 12 months for EVERYTHING, -BUT- you can have your work authorization and AP within 90 days of filing your AOS papers. That means you could be working, driving, and doing normal things by Janurary.

You do not need your green card to work, you just need EAD which you apply for along with AP. After you send the entire packet, MOST people recieve their EAD and AP card within 90 days. Yes, you may not have your green card for a year, but you have what the green card gives you anyways, you can work, drive, and leave the country and come back without any issues as long as you have your EAD/AP card.

As for me saying there's more to the story, on our end, we see someone who could be doing things normally in less than 3 months or could have already been doing it, and is choosing to leave instead. Unless there was a misunderstanding on how the process works on your end, you being able to work in 3 months and help financially and move out of your husbands parents house could work out a lot better than going through the ENTIRE process again.

If you do CR-1, you basically have a harder version of the K1 interview, make sure to prepare for that well.

Either way, over all, personally, I would stay and start working in 3 months to help move out of his parents house. Things like moving and finances are incredibly important in most relationships. Some newer couples can't even handle it together let alone apart. The amount of money he should be able to save with you gone shouldn't be that much more than what he is doing now unless you are spending frivolously. I'd feel that I should be working, contribute both emotionally and financially to moving out, pick out the place together and move on like a normal couple would.

The BRL is -awful-. Any money you make will translate to almost nothing if you send it to him. Staying in the US and making USD will go A LOT longer ways to helping you guys start a life together than sending what you can over. ​100 BRL is 25 USD.

While it may look like it's saving him money or that you can work part time and send it, the money you make in Brazil may be pocket change to what you can make in the US if you just wait 3 months.

But again, no you won't be penalized for overstaying unless you leave after December, but remember, all of the problems you have right now could be solved in 3 months if you filed AOS. You could go visit your family for a couple of weeks after getting AP then come back here and stay working, but the choice is yours and I wish ya'll the best in what ever you choose.

It's something that I couldn't do, financially it's questionable when you get down to the details. If it were a country that had a strong exchange rate, it would be understandable because the money I make COULD actually help out. But when 1 BRL only gives you an American Quarter... yeah that's awful. But waiting so long to finally have the chance to start a life together, then put more strain on it (because it will be straining) simply because I didn't do the paperwork and don't feel like waiting. I'd be kicking my own butt and doing it now instead of thinking about leaving, but at the same time, I don't see my fiance ever NOT letting me AOS if I were the foreign one. We plan on sending in the AOS packet the week after we get married so my fiance can work asap and we can start doing everything we ever dreamed of, at least the little things. =]

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

This seems a little contradictory. Of course you are going to miss your family...that's normal. If you're bored, get out of the house and volunteer. Not only will you be occupied, but you can put that on a resume for the future.

Another thing...going back to Brazil and returning to the States isn't free. Neither is filing for a different visa. So, that could easily counteract the money you would "save up" in Brazil.

It seems to me that you are simply homesick and not acclimated yet. This is normal, but try to remember why you filed for a K1 visa in the first place. You knew coming into this that you would be in this situation.

K1 until Green Card

01/13/15 - I-129F package sent

01/15/15 - Arrived at Texas Service Center (sigh...)

01/27/15 - NOA1 in hand

07/16/15 - Case was approved!

07/21/15 - NOA2 in hand

07/24/15 - Case sent to NVC

08/03/15 - NVC Case # Assigned / Case sent to embassy (estimate)

08/05/15 - Arrived at embassy

08/12/15 - Packet 3 received

08/17/15 - Packet 3 sent

08/28/15 - Packet 4 received

09/28/15 - Medical

09/30/15 - Interview - approved

10/07/15 - K1 Visa in hand

10/22/15 - POE

11/06/15 - Married!

12/15/15 - I-485 package sent
02/29/16 - I-485 approved (interview waived)

03/08/16 - Green Card in hand

This seems a little contradictory. Of course you are going to miss your family...that's normal. If you're bored, get out of the house and volunteer. Not only will you be occupied, but you can put that on a resume for the future.

Another thing...going back to Brazil and returning to the States isn't free. Neither is filing for a different visa. So, that could easily counteract the money you would "save up" in Brazil.

It seems to me that you are simply homesick and not acclimated yet. This is normal, but try to remember why you filed for a K1 visa in the first place. You knew coming into this that you would be in this situation.

Agree'd. And the fact that the the currency in Brazil is so bad right now, they would be most likely losing money if she went back and worked there instead of working in the US in three months.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline

You want to go home to save money? But doing the cr1 isn't for free either.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.