visaqueries

New York Airport Advice Needed

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My mother-in-law died yesterday, so my husband flew back to Egypt to be with his family. When we tried to book the round trip ticket from Kansas City to Cairo online, the takeoff time in Kansas City was too close to the time we were booking, so the payment would not go through. The phone agent was only able to secure our direct flight from JFK to Cairo (which we purchased). He told us to go to the airport and talk to the agent, telling them which airline and flight to take to assure my husband could get to the JFK flight. We left to purchase the ticket at the airport, but when we tried to book the return trip from JFK to Kansas City (MCI), we all agreed the inbound flight from Cairo (arriving at 3:15) was too close to the outbound flight to MCI (departing around 5:30). So, they advised us to purchase the one way ticket, and when I had a little more time and a little more calmness within me, I could book the flight from JFK to MCI. I've been looking, and it seems all JFK flights will be leaving at the 5 o'clock range. With customs (he is a conditional permanent resident) I don't know that it would be enough time. There's a 7:30 flight from EWR, but again I don't think that would be enough time. However, I have never done a transfer, so I don't know. With this background...

1. Would any of these flights be feasible? The airlines said that because we didn't book all the flights as one, there's no guarantee that if he missed the connecting flight that he would be able to get on another flight.

2. How long does it take to transfer from JFK to the other airports?

3. Would it be more advisable for him to stay the night in New York and fly home the next day? If so, are there any recommended, inexpensive but safe hotels near JFK?

Thanks for your help. We are in mourning, but I am still trying to work out the logistical parts of this whole process.

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm a New Yorker. You should have enough time for the connecting flight at JFK unless there is a delayed arrival. You can look at recent and historical arrival times on http://flightaware.comto get a feel for this particular route.

if you elect to stay at a hotel, please know that the hotels in the immediate proximity of JFK are safe and most provide shuttle service and frequented by airline staff. There are also neighborhoods relatively nearby that are easy to get to and have shuttles.

Feel free to reply or message me directly if you want help with any particulars or to get a local opinion on any accommodations you make.

Best of luck.

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

So your flight arrives at 3:15, take 15 to 20 minutes to deplane. that is 3:30 at least.Go to immigration, wait on bags, zigzag through the lines and what not, wait on a computer to declare..... 30-45 minutes depending on if another international flight comes in at the same time. that is 4:00 minimum. if he needs to transfer to another airport, that is another 45 minutes or if he is transferring withing JFK, 10 mimutes, that puts him between 4:10 and 4:45. he has to be on the plane at 5:15. that is cutting it close. If your husband is not familiar with the airport or how to maneuver, he might not make the flight.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

My mother-in-law died yesterday, so my husband flew back to Egypt to be with his family. When we tried to book the round trip ticket from Kansas City to Cairo online, the takeoff time in Kansas City was too close to the time we were booking, so the payment would not go through. The phone agent was only able to secure our direct flight from JFK to Cairo (which we purchased). He told us to go to the airport and talk to the agent, telling them which airline and flight to take to assure my husband could get to the JFK flight. We left to purchase the ticket at the airport, but when we tried to book the return trip from JFK to Kansas City (MCI), we all agreed the inbound flight from Cairo (arriving at 3:15) was too close to the outbound flight to MCI (departing around 5:30). So, they advised us to purchase the one way ticket, and when I had a little more time and a little more calmness within me, I could book the flight from JFK to MCI. I've been looking, and it seems all JFK flights will be leaving at the 5 o'clock range. With customs (he is a conditional permanent resident) I don't know that it would be enough time. There's a 7:30 flight from EWR, but again I don't think that would be enough time. However, I have never done a transfer, so I don't know. With this background...

1. Would any of these flights be feasible? The airlines said that because we didn't book all the flights as one, there's no guarantee that if he missed the connecting flight that he would be able to get on another flight.

Transferring to another 5:30 plane after arriving at 3:30 is possible but risky if the inbound plane is delayed, baggage arrival is delayed and/or there is huge line on immigration due to multiple planes landing at similar times)

From JFK to EWR is around 1.5 hrs on Cab during day time and more than 2 hours on public transportation.

JFK to LGA is around 20-40 minutes on cab depending on traffic.

3. Would it be more advisable for him to stay the night in New York and fly home the next day? If so, are there any recommended, inexpensive but safe hotels near JFK?

It is more advisable for him to stay the night in New York. Hotels around Jamaica, Queens would be inexpensive compared to the ones near JFK. From Jamaica, Air Trains run to all terminals of JFK or cab would also be an inexpensive and short commute to JFK.

Thanks for your help. We are in mourning, but I am still trying to work out the logistical parts of this whole process.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Thanks for the help so far. Unless he is bringing an extra bag home with him of some of his mum's things, he should only have one carry on. So, he won't need to wait for baggage. However, I looked at the flight record for EgyptAir Flight 985, and it is all over the board. It might be a bit too risky. Yesterday when he flew, his flight from Chicago to JFK was delayed 90 minutes, so he arrived around 5:40 with an international departure at 6:30. I made calls to explain the situation, and with a ton of begging from my husband's end they did allow him to board. He was at the Tram outside Terminal 8 at 5:47 and was heading to Terminal 4. He texted at 6:20 stating he was getting on the plane. For our purposes, it was awesome that the plane was delayed. I'm just not so sure we want to take that same gamble again.

ROC

3.7.2017     NOA sent

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

Naturalization

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Ugh, in the future, buy the ticket straight through straight away, they would be more likely to work with you if there are delays. 2 different tickets i can't see they would be as willing to work if he misses the second half. I can't say it's ever taken me more than maybe 45 minutes at JFK, but I'm a citizen. Just cross fingers the flight isn't delayed and there isn't a super large amount of people arriving at the exact same time.

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

They probably wouldn't allow you to book the ticket straight because it didn't meet guidelines for minimum connection times at JFK, which is probably something like 3 hours for international to domestic. Aside from immigration and baggage claim, you also have to go through security again, even if he's in the same terminal and on the same airline. I believe this is because everyone has to pass through baggage claim before going to customs, so they have to check you again to make sure you didn't take anything from your bags.

Two hours with no checked bags is possible, but risky. I'd agree with arken's assessment on travel times. I see Delta has a direct flight from La Guardia to Kansas City at 7:45pm which should be easy enough to make via cab. Newark is a much bigger risk and it would probably be pretty expensive.

I don't see any nonstops from JFK (though I'm just guessing at dates), so if he's planning to take a connecting flight, my suggestion would be to fly to the connection city and spend the night there. An inexpensive NYC hotel, even at the airport, would probably be 3-4x what you could find in another city and probably a lot less nice. Plus, you eliminate any worries of missing your connection the next morning. I use Kayak.com to search for flights - you can filter for later flights and multiple airports to see which ones he'll make.

AOS from TN (I'm the petitioner)

05-14-14: Married!

05-22-14: (Day 00) - AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-131/I-765) overnighted to Chicago

05-23-14: (Day 01) - Package delivered and signed for by J.C.

05-30-14: (Day 08) - Email/text notifications received at 12:24am

06-05-14: (Day 14) - NOAs received in the mail

06-07-14: (Day 16) - Biometrics appointment received in the mail

06-20-14: (Day 29) - Biometrics complete as scheduled

06-26-14: (Day 35) - Received text that I-485 was moved to "Testing and Interview" stage

08-12-14: (Day 82) - EAD/AP card in production

08-20-14: (Day 90) - EAD/AP card arrived

08-27-14: (Day 97) - Received email for interview October 3rd

08-29-14: (Day 99) - NOA2 for interview received in the mail

10-03-14: (Day 134) - Interview at Federal Plaza - APPROVED! Card in Production email 20 minutes later!

10-09-14: (Day 140) - Received email that card was mailed

10-10-14: (Day 141) - Green card, Welcome to the US notice, and approval of I-130 received in the mail

ROC

08-02-16: Mailed ROC package to VSC

08-09-16: Check cashed

08-12-16: Received NOA dated 8-5

08-26-16: Received biometrics appointment for 9/8/16

07-13-17: New card is being produced!

Timeline

Ugh, in the future, buy the ticket straight through straight away, they would be more likely to work with you if there are delays. 2 different tickets i can't see they would be as willing to work if he misses the second half. I can't say it's ever taken me more than maybe 45 minutes at JFK, but I'm a citizen. Just cross fingers the flight isn't delayed and there isn't a super large amount of people arriving at the exact same time.

We tried to do this. However, he found out at around 4:45 in the morning, and we were trying to purchase the round trip ticket from MCI to CAI by 6am. We had a phone agent helping us, but try as he did, they would not allow him to purchase the 8:30am flight from MCI to ORD to JFK online on our behalf because the takeoff was too close to the time we were talking. In hindsight, we probably should have waited to purchase the whole ticket when we got to the airport, but we wanted to make sure he was on that Egypt Air flight--it was the only direct flight from the states. We were hoping he could get home prior to the burial (he didn't make it :(). So, when we went to purchase the round trip from MCI to JFK to complete the trip, the gate agents just felt that would not be enough time. That's why we are in this predicament. It was really just a timing issue. Had we learned an hour earlier of her passing, I think the original purchase attempt would have gone through.

ROC

3.7.2017     NOA sent

Naturalization

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I live in KC, and flying from JFK to MCI is a constant problem. Clearing customs in JFK can take anywhere from 40 mins to a couple of hours, but they are usually pretty nice to let people who have a short connection to get through. Still, I try to allow at least a three hour connection to make it through. I would suggest looking at a flights from La Guardia. The transfer takes only about 40 mins, and they have way more and better options to the MCI airport. Also try to look into doing a connecting flight. I don't know what your airline is, I usually fly with Delta, but connecting through Atlanta (as in JFK, ATL then MCI) might be a good idea, as they have many flights going from ATL to MCI. Also look into Detroit and Minneapolis. I am sorry for your loss. Let me know if you have any questions, I have been flying into MCI for over 10 years now, and know almost every connection you can make :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn JFK, which is one of the least expensive, and it has a free shuttle. Your husband will need to take AirTrain (free) to the Federal Circle stop. He can call the hotel, and they will send their shuttle bus to pick him up at Federal Circle. It's worth it. Trying to connect - either at JFK or at other local airports - can be a breeze, but it also can be a nightmare. Most likely, he'll be exhausted anyway. Let him have a night of rest before continuing home...

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

After a deep search (and talking to an airline agent who pointed my research), we found a flight out of JFK to ORD at 7:30. I think that is enough time if he arrives in JFK at 3:15 from Cairo. There was even a later flight from ORD to MCI , so he should be home the same night. Thank you to everyone who provided insight. It caused me to look a little deeper for a better solution. I'm thankful he won't have to spend the night at JFK, and I'm grateful he won't feel rushed to make his connecting flight. The price was quite decent, considering, and I think we saved more than we would have if he stayed the night in New York and flew out the next morning. Now, if all our flights play nice, he'll make it home.

ROC

3.7.2017     NOA sent

Naturalization

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for the positive update. Let us know how it works out.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

My husband is home! He arrived to JFK from Cairo at about 3:15 and called me about 4:00 EST. He said it was very quick especially because so much of it was computerized. They asked him how long he'd been out of the country and if he'd left Egypt while he was gone. After that, he was welcomed back to the States. We both were fine with the wait until 7:30PM for him to fly to Chicago and 10:20 to Kansas City as we were unsure how long it would take. He was exhausted, but there were no complications to the trip home. Thanks for all your thoughts and advice! I'm relieved he's home again.

ROC

3.7.2017     NOA sent

Naturalization

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for returning with the "all's-well" update!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.