Jenvds

Age difference, he's 18 years older, problem?

21 posts in this topic

Hi,

My husband and I met online in early 2013. We began a relationship in June of 2013. We met in person January of 2014. He came to visit me in the US for 2 weeks. In June of 2014 my daughter and I went to the Netherlands and lived with him for 8 month,but I needed to return here for family reasons, including finalizing the divorce from my first husband. My daughter and I came back in March of 2015. In June we went to Barbados to be married. We stayed there for 11 days together as a family. My husband is back in the netherlands now and we are about to file our CR1 application.

My question is will our age difference hurt our chances? I am 35 and he is 53. Is it an issue if the man is older? Does it matter as much if the beneficiary is from a prosperous country?

I miss him so much every day. I just want to do this right the first time and try to avoid RFE.

Thanks!

Married in Barbados: June 10 2015

***USCIS***

Jul 20 2015: Lawyer Mailed I-130 Packet to Chicago lockbox

Aug 7 2015: I-130 NOA1 (California!!!)

Nov 17 2015: I-130 approved (102 days since NOA1)

***NVC***

Nov 25 2015: NVC received our file

Dec 11 2015: NVC case # assigned

Dec 14 2015: AOS & IV billed (same time as we have lawyer)

Dec 14 2015: Received email with case number and invoice number

Dec 15 2015: Paid AOS & IV Fees

Dec 20 2015: Fees show as "paid".

Dec 20 2015: Email expedite request (financial & medical)

Dec 31 2015: Email from NVC. EXPEDITE APPROVED!

Jan 8 2016: Mailed AOS & IV packets

Jan 11 2016: Packets delivered to NVC & marked "in transit" to consulate!

Jan 12 2016: CEAC status "READY"!

Jan 14 2016: DHL tracking shows file" delivered"

Jan 16 2016: Appointment letter (pkt4) Feb 16!!!

Feb 9 2016: Medical

Feb 16 2016: Interview/Approved!!!!

Feb 17 2016: Issued!

Feb 29 2016: POE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Together! <3

ROC

Feb 22 2018: ROC packet sent

Feb 26 2018: USPS confirmed delivery

Mar 10 2018: NOA1 dated March 6 2018

His country isn't a high fraud country so it likely isn't a big deal. It can still a bit of a red flag though. Submit proof of time spent together and of a genuine relationship (including regular communication.)

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

We were thinking of submitting 50 pages or so of chat logs. A few emails from various times in our relationship, photos of us with his family, and him with my daughter. And our flight tickets together to and from Barbados.

I tried getting his name on my lease and bank account, but they said he must be here in person to sign for those.

***USCIS***

***NVC***

ROC

If you were 18 and he was 53, that may be something, but you are of an age that you can freely decide. I think the age difference is mostly a factor in any coercion in the relationship. In my unprofessional opinion, you should not have a problem. USCIS doesn't need proof of relationship, just proof of meeting within the last two years. Including pictures from the vacation will be great. When you get to DoS, then you will need to establish relationship and your fiance will be the one interviewed. So essentially, the officer may ask if he is taking advantage of you, but I doubt that they will. Like NLR said, proof of relationship may overcome this flag. It's probably more of a yellow flag, not really red flag; c'mon - it's the Netherlands!

Signature coming soon...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi,

My husband and I met online in early 2013. We began a relationship in June of 2013. We met in person January of 2014. He came to visit me in the US for 2 weeks. In June of 2014 my daughter and I went to the Netherlands and lived with him for 8 month,but I needed to return here for family reasons, including finalizing the divorce from my first husband. My daughter and I came back in March of 2015. In June we went to Barbados to be married. We stayed there for 11 days together as a family. My husband is back in the netherlands now and we are about to file our CR1 application.

My question is will our age difference hurt our chances? I am 35 and he is 53. Is it an issue if the man is older? Does it matter as much if the beneficiary is from a prosperous country?

I miss him so much every day. I just want to do this right the first time and try to avoid RFE.

Thanks!

Relax because if age made the real difference in these decisions many of us wouldn't have accomplished what you are now doing. You will because whats most important here is your relationship with him which is indicated by marriage & then your ability to support him in the USA.

Coming from his country helps in many ways except in timing I think. I mean his wont be given any special status.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We were thinking of submitting 50 pages or so of chat logs. A few emails from various times in our relationship, photos of us with his family, and him with my daughter. And our flight tickets together to and from Barbados.

I tried getting his name on my lease and bank account, but they said he must be here in person to sign for those.

Married should be enough as it was in my case . Emails from others are not worth much nor required but if you want to submit its ok. The chat stuff is way too much. They really don't have time to read all of that but again if you want to do it its fine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I really do not see an issue.

No flags for me.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

For what it's worth, you and your husband are approximately the same ages of my wife and me, respectively. We didn't incur any problems. Based on your visits, which are the primary evidence of a bonafide relationship, you'll probably do fine.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Thanks everyone, it definitely helps calm my nerves about this.

***USCIS***

***NVC***

ROC

If you were 18 and he was 53, that may be something, but you are of an age that you can freely decide. I think the age difference is mostly a factor in any coercion in the relationship. In my unprofessional opinion, you should not have a problem. USCIS doesn't need proof of relationship, just proof of meeting within the last two years. Including pictures from the vacation will be great. When you get to DoS, then you will need to establish relationship and your fiance will be the one interviewed. So essentially, the officer may ask if he is taking advantage of you, but I doubt that they will. Like NLR said, proof of relationship may overcome this flag. It's probably more of a yellow flag, not really red flag; c'mon - it's the Netherlands!

Please note the forum and visa type.

Proof of meeting once in the last 2 years applies to K1 visas not IR1/CR1 visas which need evidence of a bona fide (aka genuine) marriage.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

It depends on the bank. I was able to be put onto my husband's account but they're a military bank and used to dealing with foreign spouses. My bank in Canada required his presence so we didn't bother. You may be able to add him to your car insurance (may get a better deal as well) or as the beneficiary of life insurance etc...

But time spent together and communication will serve you best as the USCIS understands newly weds won't have a lot of co-mingling.

50 pages of chat logs seems excessive. You could probably prune it down.

Please note the forum and visa type.

Proof of meeting once in the last 2 years applies to K1 visas not IR1/CR1 visas which need evidence of a bona fide (aka genuine) marriage.

Yeah, my bad. Sorry for the misinformation; my brain registered K-1 when I looked at your bio on the side. Doink!

Signature coming soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.