deedo79

Threatened deportation

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I moved here in 2006 on a K-1 Visa and got married. 8 years later I left my husband after an abusive marriage. Things were fine for the first 3 years but he turned and mentally tortured me for years until I found a way to leave. I've been gone for over a year now. I have a Green Card. He told me not to go for citizenship and I didn't. I wanted to.

We had a few years of happiness and he was my best friend. We had a dog and a cat and a lovely home together but no matter how hard I tried it didn't work out.

I'm currently in the process of filing for divorce because I want a clean slate. Now that I've left him his father has threatened to deport me saying the marriage was a sham. We spent over 12K on a wedding, paid for by my father. I supported my husband for years while he didn't work (he didn't want to) and found myself in a lot of debt, trying to keep up with his demands.

I'm wondering and concerned that his father will try to carry out the threat and if he could be successful. Can someone please let me know if this can happen?

Thanks for any advice.

Empty threats.

Apply for citizenship if you wish, if you qualify under the five year rule.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you have a 2 year card or a 10 year card? if a 10 year card, you are absolutely safe.

if a 2 year card - is it expired? you are deportable if/when caught on an expired green card, but it's rare ICE will come to find you.

as to anyone threatening your immigration status in his family, they can spew all they want to, it's exceptionally difficult to get a fraud case instigated with a FDNS officer at the uscis local office, the level needed to prove up fraud is rather high and specific.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I've a 10 year GC. The 2 year one expired a long time ago and I was sent a new one. I wanted to wait until my divorce was finalized as it's not cheap before I applied for citizenship. Plus they need a copy of the divorce otherwise doesn't he have to sign stuff to support my request? I feel stupid for not knowing this but I'm stressed out and should probably research it more.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Your father-in-law is an idiot. An 8 years marriage is not a sham. He can't deport you. Tell the SOB to go ahead and try.

There is no way for your FIL and your spouse to do a damn thing about your green card. Empty threats from people who don't know anything about immigration.

You have a 10 years green card. You can keep it for life. It's not dependent upon your marriage. It no longer has anything to do with your husband or his family.

Divorce and move on. These idiots can't do anything to you on the immigration front.

Best of luck

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I've a 10 year GC. The 2 year one expired a long time ago and I was sent a new one. I wanted to wait until my divorce was finalized as it's not cheap before I applied for citizenship. Plus they need a copy of the divorce otherwise doesn't he have to sign stuff to support my request? I feel stupid for not knowing this but I'm stressed out and should probably research it more.

Hi,

You would be applying for US citizenship under the 5 years of being an LPR rule. It has nothing to do with your marriage. You will not be applying under the 3 years rule based on marriage to a US citizen. You can naturalize without your husband. You don't need him to get US citizenship. You can apply under the 5 years rule while married, getting divorced, or after your divorce.

When you have some SOB threatening to deport you, it's okay that you haven't done any research. This is kinda of an emergency not of your making.

Best of luck

Thank you all so much. I have contacted my divorce lawyer and she said the same. It's amazing how someone can get into your head. I didn't think someone could be so full of malice. I gave my all.

I can't wait to move on and be done with them. I'm going to gather my paperwork together an apply for citizenship ASAP.

Thanks for reassuring me that I am entitled to stay here.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

cool - you've nothing to worry about in terms of any green card expiring.

so, study the harrassment laws in yer state... see if they apply to the father.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Intro. Members to Effects of Major Family Changes in Immigration Benefits Forum~

~Similar topic are often discussed at this forum.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Is his father head of ICE?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

It is theoretically possible to cancel someone's status, but at this point the bar is extremely high. They would have to show that you actively engaged in fraud, like explicitly paying him for the immigration benefit, or that you were married to someone else at the time of your marriage and therefore the marriage was void.

Just apply for citizenship and move on.

this is a common topic on the board, jilted spouses threatening to revoke residency. Only USCIS can do that. Once you have your 10-year green card, you are pretty much untouchable as long as you stay out of legal trouble.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you all so much. I have contacted my divorce lawyer and she said the same. It's amazing how someone can get into your head. I didn't think someone could be so full of malice. I gave my all.

I can't wait to move on and be done with them. I'm going to gather my paperwork together an apply for citizenship ASAP.

Thanks for reassuring me that I am entitled to stay here.

You will be fine.

If anything the immigration officer ask grill you for trips out of the country or taxes but nothing else.

Go ahead get the citizenship.

I-129F Mailed: Aug 16, 2013 | Interview at Embassy Jan 24, 2014

K-1 VISA IN HAND: March 6, 2014

I-485 Mailed: June 20, 2014 | NPIW: October 15, 2014 | Welcome Letter: June 23, 2015

2 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: June 26, 2015

I-751 Mailed: March 20, 2017 | Approval Letter: February 24, 2018

10 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: March 23, 2018

N-400 Filed Online: March 20, 2018

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.