10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi VisaJourney community! I appreciate the advice we have already received by reading so many posts here. Our particular question is about changing the location for the fiancé's interview/visa to another country (not his home country, but where we reside).

My alien fiancé, Alexandre (Brazilian), received an email saying that his file was received in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. However, we currently live in Paris, France and Alexandre will be moving to Germany at the end of July 2015 for a contract until December 2015. He was hoping not to return to Brazil until December and to complete the visa in Europe, due to the expense and nature of his work. Would it be possible for him to do his interview at the American consulate in Paris? The Rio consulate told us to contact Paris to see if they will grant permission for a transfer. Has this been successful for anyone else?

For information, our USCIS approval expires September 11, 2015. (We only received the email notice from Brazil June 10th and the NO2 from USCIS May 28th. Since we live in Europe, we thought the process would be in Europe...even though we are relocating to the USA after this year.)
Thank you so much in advance,
Kathleen & Alexandre

Met: September 2012

Engaged: March 2015

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2015-03-27

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? California Service Center on 2015-04-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2015-04-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2015-05-28

Consulate Received : 2015-06-10

Consulate : Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

NVC Received : no news from NVC, no case number... just got letter from USCIS for NOA2 and email from Rio Embassy

Currently: trying to change location from Rio to Paris

Did you contact Paris embassy? No one here has a crystal ball to tell you if he can transfer the case or not - up to you to contact them and find out.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Hi,

milimelo, they're just asking for people who successfully changed their interview country to understand a little bit more about it and assess their chances to do so, it's not a matter of having a ''crystal ball'' but experience exchange and that's why we're all here.

Anyways, OP you should contact them asap and please take a look at this forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/519781-change-country-interview/

You will find people who went thru the same and maybe it can be a good source.

Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

1. Would it be possible for him to do his interview at the American consulate in Paris?

2. The Rio consulate told us to contact Paris to see if they will grant permission for a transfer. Has this been successful for anyone else?

1. To the poster just above: This is the chief question that was asked.

2. To the poster just above: It's irrelevant whether transfers have been successful for anyone else. Every case is individual, so the OP must contact Paris to find out if they can successfully do it.

[Moderator hat on]

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Embassy/Consulate forum -- topic involves that stage. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Rtor1, thank you for your understanding and for the link. It is helpful, but also worrisome since it seems that the change of country could take a long time. Our Approval expires in September.

Milimelo and TBoneTX, we were coming to the forum for advice and solidarity. We have done our research, we have written and called the embassies + NVC (always busy) and since there is nothing official on the US websites, that is why we were looking for any small detail of advice here. Each case is different, yes, but whether or not it is possible and whatever issues came up for other people - we just want to be ready.

Met: September 2012

Engaged: March 2015

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2015-03-27

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? California Service Center on 2015-04-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2015-04-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2015-05-28

Consulate Received : 2015-06-10

Consulate : Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

NVC Received : no news from NVC, no case number... just got letter from USCIS for NOA2 and email from Rio Embassy

Currently: trying to change location from Rio to Paris

Timeline

Rtor1, thank you for your understanding and for the link. It is helpful, but also worrisome since it seems that the change of country could take a long time. Our Approval expires in September.

Milimelo and TBoneTX, we were coming to the forum for advice and solidarity. We have done our research, we have written and called the embassies + NVC (always busy) and since there is nothing official on the US websites, that is why we were looking for any small detail of advice here. Each case is different, yes, but whether or not it is possible and whatever issues came up for other people - we just want to be ready.

You're welcome and good luck! I hope it works fine!! I am sorry that some people here don't feel like helping other members and are so quick to throw their harsh words. Moderator, thanks for pointing out their ''chief question'' if we can call like that, I know how to read but I also can read between the lines and understood they came here for more support, further details and etc maybe because of their ''secondary''question looking for people who successfully went thru the same. They never said their case would be like everybody's else and again and to some people similar experiences can be helpful. I wonder what's the purpose of this website if people's experience can not be taken into account to help in whatever issues we can have during our journey? You know what? I am done with this website because lately I have been feeling very uncomfortable to come here and post a question or something like that. Everybody is so ready to use their smart mouths to judge and treat people like they're so stupid for not knowing the answers for their questions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It remains that the only way for the OP to find out in their own instance is to follow the advice of the Rio consulate to contact the Paris embassy.

Every case is individual. What good would it do the OP to receive 5 comments of "it worked for me" and 6 comments of "it didn't work for me" when each of those responses pertains to a situation different from that of the OP?

The very fact that the Rio consulate suggested this path indicates that it is feasible and potentially successful.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi All,

As an Irish Citizen currently living and working in Canada on a valid work visa.... Can I do my K1 interview in Canada or do I need to Interview in Ireland?

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
On 10/21/2016 at 0:21 AM, Lola800 said:

@Finton you can have your interview here, note you are going to have your interview in Montreal

Hi. May I ask how do you know it's ok for that? This is because Im in the same situation and Im not sure if thats doable. Hope to get your reply soon. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.