frida_e

Help! Fiance "approved" but now called back to 2nd interview!?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi, everyone!

My fiancé went to his interview for the K1 visa last Thursday and was "approved" but told that they had to check his records and if nothing came up then he would receive his visa in two weeks. They kept his passport. Today, my fiancé received a phone call from the embassy telling him to come in as soon as possible because the CO had to talk to him again... Let me explain how my fiancé's interview went last Thursday in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

He got sent to a CO who told him he could not find his file and to go back to the previous window. He got there and they told him that there was an error in his fingerprints and he would need to take them again right there and then. He was sent to a CO who was very kind and took his biometrics once again. Finally, he was sent back to the green chairs and by chance got the same CO who had not found his file. The CO greeted him and began looking over my fiances documents. The first questions asked were about our relationship. For example, how he proposed, how did we meet, how long we had dated for and he replied eight months and the CO commented it was a short time and asked again, then he asked what our plans were, and what I did for a living, where I worked and lived, If I spoke Spanish or if he spoke English. Then began the personal questions asking if he had gone to the U.S. Before and how, if he had tried to cross illegally, then seed if he had a criminal record, if he had tattoos and used drugs, then once asked again if he had had problems with the police in Mexico or the US. Then the CO said to my fiance: OK, I will check your record and if everything goes well and you're clean then your visa will arrive at the DHL office you requested. He did not congratulate him nor asked if he had any doubts or worries. He gave him a green sheet that tells us hoe to track the passport package. My fiance says he would overhear other CO'S kindly asking questions to the other people there and even congratulating them but his CO was just straight forward. This is why we began to have worries about him receiving his visa.

Let me explain my fiances situation: his passport and visa expired about ten years ago when he was underage. He did not renew because he wasn't well off economically and honestly he didn't have an interest in going to the U.S. Again. A few years after it expired, his passport was stolen from his home. He reported it but again never got a new one until a few months ago. Obviously, this situation is suspicious to the CO'S. Also, my fiancé's father lives in America as well and he is a permanent resident and we mentioned that as well when we filled out his DS-160. He doesn't see his father much. His father became a permanent resident a while back and has not done anything legally to claim his son for the permanent residency... I don't think my fiancé would be eligible anyway because he is already 24.

Now we are not sure what do expect at all. My fiancé has booked his flight again to fly all the way to the embassy for tomorrow night and to go on Thursday morning to the second interview. This has been an emotional drain! We do not know what to expect nor why he would get asked to come in again.

Filed: Timeline

Hi, everyone!

My fiancé went to his interview for the K1 visa last Thursday and was "approved" but told that they had to check his records and if nothing came up then he would receive his visa in two weeks. They kept his passport. Today, my fiancé received a phone call from the embassy telling him to come in as soon as possible because the CO had to talk to him again... Let me explain how my fiancé's interview went last Thursday in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

He got sent to a CO who told him he could not find his file and to go back to the previous window. He got there and they told him that there was an error in his fingerprints and he would need to take them again right there and then. He was sent to a CO who was very kind and took his biometrics once again. Finally, he was sent back to the green chairs and by chance got the same CO who had not found his file. The CO greeted him and began looking over my fiances documents. The first questions asked were about our relationship. For example, how he proposed, how did we meet, how long we had dated for and he replied eight months and the CO commented it was a short time and asked again, then he asked what our plans were, and what I did for a living, where I worked and lived, If I spoke Spanish or if he spoke English. Then began the personal questions asking if he had gone to the U.S. Before and how, if he had tried to cross illegally, then seed if he had a criminal record, if he had tattoos and used drugs, then once asked again if he had had problems with the police in Mexico or the US. Then the CO said to my fiance: OK, I will check your record and if everything goes well and you're clean then your visa will arrive at the DHL office you requested. He did not congratulate him nor asked if he had any doubts or worries. He gave him a green sheet that tells us hoe to track the passport package. My fiance says he would overhear other CO'S kindly asking questions to the other people there and even congratulating them but his CO was just straight forward. This is why we began to have worries about him receiving his visa.

Let me explain my fiances situation: his passport and visa expired about ten years ago when he was underage. He did not renew because he wasn't well off economically and honestly he didn't have an interest in going to the U.S. Again. A few years after it expired, his passport was stolen from his home. He reported it but again never got a new one until a few months ago. Obviously, this situation is suspicious to the CO'S. Also, my fiancé's father lives in America as well and he is a permanent resident and we mentioned that as well when we filled out his DS-160. He doesn't see his father much. His father became a permanent resident a while back and has not done anything legally to claim his son for the permanent residency... I don't think my fiancé would be eligible anyway because he is already 24.

Now we are not sure what do expect at all. My fiancé has booked his flight again to fly all the way to the embassy for tomorrow night and to go on Thursday morning to the second interview. This has been an emotional drain! We do not know what to expect nor why he would get asked to come in again.

They are running a thorough background check because of his eventful past and a 2nd interview because of the several red flags - his father is a Permanent Resident and as you said your fiance is 24. The CO might assumes that your fiance is trying to marry you to have a fast way to the US. Your fiance is 24 and if his dad petitioned him, it would take much much longer.

Edited by YouAndMeForever

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Mexico/Latin/South America regional forum, for possible country-specific insights. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Yes it must be the background check. I agree with YouAndMeForever. Also there may be the issue of the stolen passport and the passport number may have come up, may have been flagged. Don't give up. I'm sure he will pass the background check though he may have to wait longer for the process to be completed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

They are running a thorough background check because of his eventful past and a 2nd interview because of the several red flags - his father is a Permanent Resident and as you said your fiance is 24. The CO might assumes that your fiance is trying to marry you to have a fast way to the US. Your fiance is 24 and if his dad petitioned him, it would take much much longer.

Agreed. ^

OP,

Animo, everything will go well so just try to stay calm and positive. Full support and encouragement goes a long way for both you and your fiancé. It will all pan out. :)

Please keep us posted. All the best!!!

-Gera

K-1

August 1, 2014: I-129F packet sent (USPS Priority mail)

August 5, 2014: NOA1 received (email/text)

August 9, 2014: NOA1 hardcopy received/Alien Registration Number changed

October 3, 2014: RFE notice received (email/text)

October 9, 2014: RFE hardcopy received (General question missed on I-129F part 3) *Oops

October 10, 2014: RFE response inquiry sent (USPS Priority mail)

October 15, 2014: RFE response review (USCIS)

October 21, 2014: NOA2 I-129F was approved (email/text)

October 28, 2014: NOA2 hardcopy received

November 13, 2014: NVC received and case number assigned

November 25, 2014: NVChard copy received (case was forwarded to Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Consulate)

November 30, 2014: Filled out forms DS-160 online for fiancé (K-1) and step daughter (K-2)

December 3, 2014: Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Consulate received case

December 18, 2014: NOA3 hardcopy received from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Consulate

December 22, 2014: Paid visa fees online and scheduled ASC Biometrics + Interview

January 20, 2015: Biometrics for fiancé in Guadalajara Jalisco, Mexico

January 22, 2015: Medical exam at Clinica Medica Internacional (Ciudad Juarez, Mexico)

January 26, 2015: Picked up medical results for fiancé (K-1) and step daughter (K-2)

January 27, 2015: Interview APPROVED!!! (Ciudad Juarez, Mexico)

January 30, 2015: CEAC status "Issued"

January 31, 2015: DHL tracking number received via email

February 3, 2015: Passports ready for pickup via email/DHL tracking (DHL Ciudad Juarez, Mexico - Lopez Mateos) POE El Paso, TX

April 11, 2015: MARRIED 

AOS

April 23, 2015: AOS/EAD/AP packet sent USPS Priority mail (K-1/K-2)

May 5, 2015: NOA1 received (email/text)

May 9, 2015: NOA1 hardcopies received (6) - Dated "4/28/15"

May 16, 2015: Biometrics appointment letter received

May 18, 2015: Biometrics completed (early walk-in)

July 10, 2015: EAD/AP approved (K-1/K-2)

August 25, 2015: AOS interview (K-1/K-2) Fresno, CA "APPROVED" 

September 4, 2015: Green Card received

ROC

May 26, 2017: ROC packet sent USPS Priority mail (K-1/K-2)

June 3, 2017: NOA1 received 

June 17, 2017: Biometrics appointment letter received

June 20, 2017: Biometrics completed (early walk-in)

Timeline

EVERYONE!!!

WE GOT APPROVED OFFICIALLY, NOW!

The CO that he first got, forgot to swear him in!! Like he forgot to ask my fiancé to swear that what he was going to say or had said was the holy truth!!!!!!!!!!! JUST FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

I HOPE THAT CO IS IN DEEP TROUBLE BECAUSE HE HAS MADE US SPEND $700 DOLLARS EXTRA AND HAS MADE US GO THROUGH EMOTIONAL DISTRESS!

At the end of the day, luckily he will get his visa issued tomorrow and ready for pick up at the embassy tomorrow. Thank you all for the support and help, it is greatly appreciated!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

EVERYONE!!!

WE GOT APPROVED OFFICIALLY, NOW!

The CO that he first got, forgot to swear him in!! Like he forgot to ask my fiancé to swear that what he was going to say or had said was the holy truth!!!!!!!!!!! JUST FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

I HOPE THAT CO IS IN DEEP ###### TROUBLE BECAUSE HE HAS MADE US SPEND $700 DOLLARS EXTRA AND HAS MADE US GO THROUGH EMOTIONAL DISTRESS!

At the end of the day, luckily he will get his visa issued tomorrow and ready for pick up at the embassy tomorrow. Thank you all for the support and help, it is greatly appreciated!!

Glad to hear all is settled. Bad break on that additional trip but on the bright side... You will now be with your loved one and that is "PRICELESS".

Best of luck to you both on your future together! :)

K-1

August 1, 2014: I-129F packet sent (USPS Priority mail)

August 5, 2014: NOA1 received (email/text)

August 9, 2014: NOA1 hardcopy received/Alien Registration Number changed

October 3, 2014: RFE notice received (email/text)

October 9, 2014: RFE hardcopy received (General question missed on I-129F part 3) *Oops

October 10, 2014: RFE response inquiry sent (USPS Priority mail)

October 15, 2014: RFE response review (USCIS)

October 21, 2014: NOA2 I-129F was approved (email/text)

October 28, 2014: NOA2 hardcopy received

November 13, 2014: NVC received and case number assigned

November 25, 2014: NVChard copy received (case was forwarded to Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Consulate)

November 30, 2014: Filled out forms DS-160 online for fiancé (K-1) and step daughter (K-2)

December 3, 2014: Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Consulate received case

December 18, 2014: NOA3 hardcopy received from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Consulate

December 22, 2014: Paid visa fees online and scheduled ASC Biometrics + Interview

January 20, 2015: Biometrics for fiancé in Guadalajara Jalisco, Mexico

January 22, 2015: Medical exam at Clinica Medica Internacional (Ciudad Juarez, Mexico)

January 26, 2015: Picked up medical results for fiancé (K-1) and step daughter (K-2)

January 27, 2015: Interview APPROVED!!! (Ciudad Juarez, Mexico)

January 30, 2015: CEAC status "Issued"

January 31, 2015: DHL tracking number received via email

February 3, 2015: Passports ready for pickup via email/DHL tracking (DHL Ciudad Juarez, Mexico - Lopez Mateos) POE El Paso, TX

April 11, 2015: MARRIED 

AOS

April 23, 2015: AOS/EAD/AP packet sent USPS Priority mail (K-1/K-2)

May 5, 2015: NOA1 received (email/text)

May 9, 2015: NOA1 hardcopies received (6) - Dated "4/28/15"

May 16, 2015: Biometrics appointment letter received

May 18, 2015: Biometrics completed (early walk-in)

July 10, 2015: EAD/AP approved (K-1/K-2)

August 25, 2015: AOS interview (K-1/K-2) Fresno, CA "APPROVED" 

September 4, 2015: Green Card received

ROC

May 26, 2017: ROC packet sent USPS Priority mail (K-1/K-2)

June 3, 2017: NOA1 received 

June 17, 2017: Biometrics appointment letter received

June 20, 2017: Biometrics completed (early walk-in)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Congratulations!

If you want, file an after-visa complaint with the Bureau of Consular Affairs.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Congratulations!

If you want, file an after-visa complaint with the Bureau of Consular Affairs.

I will definitely do that! I already looked up the email where I am supposed to send my complaint. I hope this doesn't occur again to anyone else but hey I guess we are all humans but let's have a little more order when we do our jobs, right? Lol.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

Congrats...I'm this situation myself my husband went to his interview in 6/16/15 and the CO ask him some questions and the said congratulations your approved...but know I have called the Juarez consul and they advised me that he has been sent a letter for a follow up second interview in Juarez again...we are scared, frustrated , if he was approved at interview why would he need another one , he has submitted everything , waiver approved , affidavit , birth records of our kids , marriage certificate and court documents of a misdemeanor case , I'm so confused so know we are waiting for a instruction letter... :cry::cry::cry:

Timeline

Congrats...I'm this situation myself my husband went to his interview in 6/16/15 and the CO ask him some questions and the said congratulations your approved...but know I have called the Juarez consul and they advised me that he has been sent a letter for a follow up second interview in Juarez again...we are scared, frustrated , if he was approved at interview why would he need another one , he has submitted everything , waiver approved , affidavit , birth records of our kids , marriage certificate and court documents of a misdemeanor case , I'm so confused so know we are waiting for a instruction letter... :cry::cry::cry:

Hi! I have no idea but usually it's not even a grave problem from what I have read. For me, they waited a week until they called me and then he went to the interview and they gave him the visa there at the embassy the next day but he did have to fly back. Have you had any update on your case? Do not get scared because your case is impeccable if the record is clean! Mine was as well even though we had those tiny red flags that ended up not even being a big deal at the end of it. I do hope that you get your case resolved soon and are with your hubby asap!! :D

I am married now and we just sent in our AOS on Monday and now we must wait

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.