az143

Strange Pregnancy - Need Help

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thirty-five irrelevant, insulting, or off-topic posts have been removed. People failed to read the OP's very specific query and her follow-up post.

The OP has gotten her answers from the posters who provided Haiti-specific information. To minimize further replies that don't deal with the OP's precise country-specific query, this thread is moved to the Caribbean regional forum. If the OP is satisfied with the relevant replies, she may request that the thread be closed, by hitting the "report" button.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Coming from Africa where witch-craft is still practiced widely, I have heard just about every crazy thing there is to hear. These people believe it, just like we believe that the earth revolves around the sun. Personally I wouldn't want to be involved with someone whose beliefs are rooted in superstition and not science but that is entirely your choice to make.

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I don't know what to say. It is easy for me to saw this is impossible, BUT your guy is Haitian. Not to be stereotyping Haitians, BUT they are into herbs and things that is unknown to the average person. If you want to see a close representation of Haitian belief and origins of practices and not be scared to marry him, look up Cantanou Benin Republic Voodoo. Not saying that your fiance is into voodoo, but it sounds voodoo to me and I would RUN RUN RUN from him.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Either he's lost or not telling the truth or she is not being truthful about that being his child, I would ask him did he do a paternity test, cause if he says he knows for a fact that is his child then that means he's been sleeping with her this whole time.

Thirty-five irrelevant, insulting, or off-topic posts have been removed. People failed to read the OP's very specific query and her follow-up post.

The OP has gotten her answers from the posters who provided Haiti-specific information. To minimize further replies that don't deal with the OP's precise country-specific query, this thread is moved to the Caribbean regional forum. If the OP is satisfied with the relevant replies, she may request that the thread be closed, by hitting the "report" button.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

Good Morning,

Can you please tell me where to "report" button is. I would like to close the thread. Thank you.

Thank you for the information.

Yes, in Haitian folk religion/medicine many villagers believe in "perdition", a baby trapped for years in the mothers womb.

Here is a book about it >>>> http://users.clas.ufl.edu/murray/research/haiti/Phantom_Child_in_Haitian_Voodoo.pdf

Anthropologists have studied this belief.

It can be used to mask infidelity on the women's part or serves to prevent a breakup while trying to keep the man with her, she also must tell any new

husband that she is in "perdition" from a previous relationship. Some symptoms actually come with it, perhaps brought on by psychological

pressures as in psychosomatic signs and symptoms. Entire villages truly believe this is happening.

Read through the pages and it may make better sense to you.

It is very difficult to convince some people that such deep rooted beliefs are untrue and it would take time to steer them to reality once

they are no longer in such an environment.

It does not surprise me, I have heard other (to us ridiculous) claims from other cultures and because they believe it and aren't as educated as

we are in medicine doesn't mean that they are dishonest.

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You are in an interesting position, and I suggest you take it entirely at face value, as you have to trust your man has not been disloyal or unfaithful to you and I'm sure he has not.

He truly believes this, and it is part of his culture to do so - and that's fine, and you can happily believe him.

However, the lady in question is using this cultural story to avoid being shamed or other issues. She will know the truth, but it will never come through her.

What it would be good to avoid is taking on a baby that is not your young man's responsibility at all - and you could say "what if she was unfaithful to you all those years ago - and it's not your child held in perdition - we should have a DNA test to show it's yours"

..and then you will have the answer to many questions without questioning his cultural integrity?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.