Tisa

Urgent ! Help needed with tax forms for self employed petitioner !!!

84 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

please refrain from answering if you aren't sure. He isn't self-employed. I am positive he at worst should get a 1099, although if you ask the OP about the circumstances of employment a W2 would be what is required (obviously his boss doesn't want that).

Always a good idea to read the question. OP clearly stated he was self employed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Always a good idea to read the question. OP clearly stated he was self employed.

If you read his posts, you would know that the OP isn't sure what he is. Doesn't know what taxes he is supposed to file or how - thus he asked his boss. Casually throwing out "self-employed" without explaining he needs a 1099 is negligent. I bet the OP has fixed hours and a schedule, meaning that he isn't even "self-employed" like he claims.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Very confusing post by the OP

If he is Self Employed then he needs to state his income and file his taxes, he doesn't need a 1099......

I am not sure what he is :( his "boss" said he works for him on a self employed basis. That's all I know. The gym doesn't belong to my fiancé

Timeline

You're being very confusing.

You cannot be self employed if you have a boss.

Does he work as a PT? And therefore pays rent to the gym? If so he would have to file his own taxes as self employed and would need those to show income.

No he does not pay rent to the gym :( his boss is not helpful at all. My fiancé worked at a different gym in a self employed basis before and got a form from his biss with which he did his taxes. I suppose it was a wrong info when he said he was "self employed" then :(

Timeline

If you read his posts, you would know that the OP isn't sure what he is. Doesn't know what taxes he is supposed to file or how - thus he asked his boss. Casually throwing out "self-employed" without explaining he needs a 1099 is negligent. I bet the OP has fixed hours and a schedule, meaning that he isn't even "self-employed" like he claims.

Does anyone of you guys know if it would help if we found a co sponsor ? Since my fiancé doesn't seem to be able to file taxes without the help of his boss. Would our petition be approved if we had someone else filling out the affidavit of support for us ?

Timeline

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are trying to bring another human being to the United States and you do not know how to file taxes you are in for a world of pain. What your boss doing is illegal by the way. I suggest finding a new job fast. You need to get your act together. By the way, as an independent contracter you need to be paying taxes every quarter. If you don't, it'll catch up to you.

I agree he should find a different job !! I'm so upset now :( you seem to be familiar with taxes .. Do you have any suggestions on how to go about this now ? I'm scared that we won't approved and won't be able to be together :(

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does anyone of you guys know if it would help if we found a co sponsor ? Since my fiancé doesn't seem to be able to file taxes without the help of his boss. Would our petition be approved if we had someone else filling out the affidavit of support for us ?

Why would he need help form his "Boss" for filing taxes.

If he was paid xxxx dollar amount from his boss or any other source of income he just puts that on his taxes.

I would say many self employed people never get anything from their clients or customers or in his case his Boss............

Timeline

If he was paid xxxx dollar amount from his boss or any other source of income he just puts that on his taxes.

I would say many self employed people never get anything from their clients or customers or in his case his Boss............

Because as an independent contractor he needs a 1099. Jesus. .

*Independent contractor income

If you are a worker earning a salary or wage, your employer reports your annual earnings at year-end on Form W-2. However, if you are an independent contractor or self-employed you will receive a Form 1099-MISC from each client that pays you at least $600 during the tax year.

For example, if you are a freelance writer, consultant or artist, you hire yourself out to individuals or companies on a contract basis. The income you receive from each job you take should be reported to you on Form 1099-MISC. When you prepare your tax return, the IRS requires you to report all of this income and pay income tax on it.*

Timeline

Thank you for this input. I'm sorry for coming off stupid but I come from germany and I don't know anything about US taxes. . :( it's just so confusing because. I am not sure if he can just file his taxes since he doesn't own that gym. He is just coaching and giving tumbling classes there. So I dont really know if that counts as "self employed" ... He works for that gym since may 2014 and he never filed taxes for this job before?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

So if he is considered self-employed, in other words he receives no pay from the gym, it is a different matter. Since you said his boss refuses to give him tax paperwork I guessed he is paid by the gym. If he is paid by the clients he is self-employed; if he is paid by the gym he is either an independent contractor or an employee. If he is paid by the gym the business needs to give him paperwork showing how much he received in wages. If he is self-employed he needs to file taxes as such.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Regardless of the visa situation and I-134, he is required to file taxes assuming his income is over a certain amount (which I'm sure it is if he's supporting himself). He could get into trouble with the IRS down the road if he doesn't file a tax return.

The gym owner sounds pretty shady. I don't know why he would have a problem giving a 1099 to your fiance though. I assume the owner is the one paying your fiance? And it isn't the client/customer that is paying your fiance directly?

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline

Blind leading the blind

He should go see a CPA.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Blind leading the blind

He should go see a CPA.

you happen to be the blind one. I was right. He needs a 1099 from his boss. He probably should be considered a W2 employee but considering his boss' stance, that is not happening. So a 1099 it is. It hurts to be wrong, doesn't, it?

Timeline

You have no idea, OP seems to have no idea, but then why should she.

Anyway he needs to get it sorted and not going to happen just posting on this thread.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.