smkr

Filing ROC while alien spouse is abroad - husband is in US

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am abroad and my ROC time is end of this month and I will return in 8 weeks to US. My husband (US citizen) is in US and we plan to file i-751 jointly while I am abroad.

Is this an issue? Of course, I will be mailing him the signed forms and I will be back in US for the interviews.

Thanks much!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

What are your plans for providing USCIS with the required biometrics?

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

When does your GC expire? If you are back before then just wait until you return. That will still give you one month to apply, if your ROC 90 day window starts at the end of Feb.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline

Mine is a unique story - I never received a green card after entering this country and made several infopass appointments and met with them - nothing happened (they have acknowledged that INS has received the payment).

I left the country with a stamp on my passport and this is the dilemma I am going through.

My stamp expires this month end however, I have a medical situation here that I cannot travel back. My husband made a visit to field office (Infopass) and they asked that I go to local Consulate and I cannot do that either because of my medical situation.

With that said, I am thinking, I did not get my green card (with no fault of mine) and if we file the ROC and obtain NOA, I can probably travel back in a month or worst case 2 months.

What do you guys think?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i say file it during the 90 day window, later to the last day if possible,

as that buys you some time to transit back in

and the scheduling for biometrics might be in your favour (ie, you are in the usa at the time)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Darnell - I re-read your email.

I am not sure if I understood but what I am thinking is, we file the ROC on Feb 28th and wait for NOC. Once, I get my NOC, I will be able to enter the country and continue with Biometrics etc.

If they had mailed my greencard, I would have not have any issues re-entering until the last day and then mailed it (this is worst-case). Now, I am running out of ideas and this is the only approach that comes to my mind.

Do you or anybody in this forum see any issues with this approach?

Timeline

oh. usually, the NOA-1 extends the green card for a year,

and since you don't have one to show at the border,

usually you show the green card plus the NOA-1 to get in.

Since you don't have the green card, do you think the NOA-1 letter from the ROC submittal is sufficient to re-enter the country?

I don't have an answer on that one.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

ok - so you have an I-551 stamp in the passport,

and that expires a certain day.

the NOA-1 letter from ROC should extend that I-551 stamp, if I understand properly.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am not sure, it sounds like you have been out of the country the entire time of your conditional green card time period. I don't know if you have to file for a re-entry visa, something else, or start over. Someone else might chime in with solutions.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Just wondering what you would show the airline.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

How do you plan to sign I-751 ?

And just to confirm - you will file because you are reaching 2 years since you became resident, not because a stamp in passport which typically has 1 year validity ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

ok - so you have an I-551 stamp in the passport,

and that expires a certain day.

the NOA-1 letter from ROC should extend that I-551 stamp, if I understand properly.

yes, along with NOA1 they provide an extension letter that extends for a year. BUT biometrics is scheduled within 30 days of receiving NOA1 and the extension letter. My husband's biometrics was 2 and a half weeks after receiving NOA1 and the extension letter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

you do that a requirement of having a green card is actually residing in the US, correct? Did you get a re-entry permit before leaving to go back to India?

Edited by mimolicious

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.