Niceb

Health Insurance for DV winners

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

I have just been granted my DV visa and am super excited about moving to the US. However, I am 4.5 months pregnant. It will take a least another two months to wrap everything up before we can make the move. My husband lost his job before Christmas so it makes sense to move sooner rather than later.

We are terrified about the medical costs in the US. As I will arrive when I am over six months pregnant I am not sure how I will obtain health insurance without a waiting period? I don't know where to go to get advice on this. I called the immigration centre in Philly and they didn't know. Also the various government websites seem to have conflicting information (some saying that pregnant women would be covered under Medicaid , others saying there is a six month or a five year waiting period. The insurance site says three months waiting period before coverage kicks in). I am really confused and don't mind paying someone for proper advice on this matter. Has anyone got any experience in this area or know who I can talk to?

Edited by Niceb

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Diversity Lottery Visas forum to Moving To the US and Your New Life In America forum; similar topics are discussed in this particular forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

You can use emergency medicaid for delivery. Normal one is off limits for 5 years for LPRs.

For regular pregnancy check ups, you should be able to walk into an obgyn office and negotiate a self-pay price.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Check out www.healthcare.gov, it has a lot of helpful information. Since the affordable care act, most states have created an insurance marketplace for individuals to explore and sign up for insurance. From all of the research I have done, legal permanent residents are eligible to sign up for insurance through healthcare.gov or their state marketplace without any negative repercussions.

USCIS

10/11/2014 – Mailed I-130 packet to the Chicago Lockbox
10/14/2014 – I-130 packet signed for
10/15/2014 – Priority date assigned
10/19/2014 – Acceptance confirmation email received
10/20/2014 – Check cashed
10/24/2014 – Received I-797C (NOA1)
10/27/2014 – Faxed the USCIS expedite packet to the Senator's office
10/29/2014 – Expedite request sent to USCIS from the Senator's office on my behalf
11/05/2014 – USCIS approved I-130 petition
11/07/2014 – USCIS sent case to the NVC for processing
11/08/2014 – Received I-797, Approval!!! (NOA2)

NVC

11/11/2014 - Emailed the NVC Expedite Packet to the Senator's office
11/12/2014 - Expedite request sent to NVC from the Senator's office on my behalf
11/12/2014 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/28/2014 - Received confirmation email from NVC, expedite request was received and is being processed
12/09/2014 - NVC Case number assigned
12/10/2014 - NVC Welcome letter email
12/10/2014 - Submitted form DS-261
12/11/2014 - AOS fee invoiced
12/12/2014 - AOS fee submitted
12/15/2014 - AOS fee shows paid
12/16/2014 - Sent AOS and IV packets
12/17/2014 - AOS and IV packets received by NVC
12/17/2014 - Embassy denied expedite without a reason, informed over the phone by Hazel from NVC

12/19/2014 - Received email from NVC confirming AOS and IV packets received, scan date 12/17
12/19/2014 - IV fee invoiced

12/19/2014 - IV fee submitted
12/23/2014 - IV fee shows paid

12/26/2014 - Submitted DS-260
02/17/2015 - Case complete!!! :)
05/04/2015 - Interview date received by phone, scheduled for 06/10/2015

05/08/2015 - Received P4 email

US Embassy Cairo

05/12/2015 - Embassy received case from NVC

06/10/2015 - Interview approved!!! :)

07/20/2015 - Visa received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

I have just been granted my DV visa and am super excited about moving to the US. However, I am 4.5 months pregnant. It will take a least another two months to wrap everything up before we can make the move. My husband lost his job before Christmas so it makes sense to move sooner rather than later.

We are terrified about the medical costs in the US. As I will arrive when I am over six months pregnant I am not sure how I will obtain health insurance without a waiting period? I don't know where to go to get advice on this. I called the immigration centre in Philly and they didn't know. Also the various government websites seem to have conflicting information (some saying that pregnant women would be covered under Medicaid , others saying there is a six month or a five year waiting period. The insurance site says three months waiting period before coverage kicks in). I am really confused and don't mind paying someone for proper advice on this matter. Has anyone got any experience in this area or know who I can talk to?

What exactly do you mean by obtaining insurance ?

Your choices are Obamacare, private insurance plan or just pay everything out of your pocket. You will be eligible for Obamacare day you enter US being permanent resident, just recognize you have to pay for insurance and you will have to pay deductible before it even kicks in. Insurance in US in most cases doesn't mean you pay nothing.

Timeline

What exactly do you mean by obtaining insurance ?

Your choices are Obamacare, private insurance plan or just pay everything out of your pocket. You will be eligible for Obamacare day you enter US being permanent resident, just recognize you have to pay for insurance and you will have to pay deductible before it even kicks in. Insurance in US in most cases doesn't mean you pay nothing.

I just spoke to the healthcare.gov people. It looks like a minimum of $500 for a basic plan with a $9,000-12,000 deductible per person because we don't have jobs. We don't smoke or have any preexisting conditions (except the pregnancy). Do those figures sound right to you? They seem extremely high.

Timeline

I just spoke to the healthcare.gov people. It looks like a minimum of $500 for a basic plan with a $9,000-12,000 deductible per person because we don't have jobs. We don't smoke or have any preexisting conditions (except the pregnancy). Do those figures sound right to you? They seem extremely high.

Don't have a good benchmark since I have employer provided insurance plan with relatively high deductible which is - however - several times lower than what you quoted. Heard deductible around $6k for ACA applicants - maybe somebody that does have one will chime in.

Bottom line - having insurance means you still will spend money, just less than without it. Be ready for it.

Timeline

I just got off the phone from Medicaid in PA. They said that all legal residents with a low income qualify which is great news. However, I need to apply when we arrive and find somewhere to live. Not sure if I will really qualify given I will be a new resident without employment history in the US...

Timeline

I just got off the phone from Medicaid in PA. They said that all legal residents with a low income qualify which is great news. However, I need to apply when we arrive and find somewhere to live. Not sure if I will really qualify given I will be a new resident without employment history in the US...

Just make sure using it will not prevent you from getting naturalized down the road - if you're interested in it. DV winners are not supposed to become public charge and certain benefits (not sure if Medicaid is one of them) will put you in that place.

Timeline

Just make sure using it will not prevent you from getting naturalized down the road - if you're interested in it. DV winners are not supposed to become public charge and certain benefits (not sure if Medicaid is one of them) will put you in that place.

It doesn't according the link below. I would only use Medicaid. I have never claimed benefits in my entire life.

http://www.nilc.org/pubcharge.html

I just, understandably, don't want to face financial ruin by having a baby. If there was reasonable health insurance available purchase I would buy it for sure, but I can't afford to spend $12k while out of work.

Edited by Niceb

Timeline

!2 k is nothing for medical care involving a hospital in the US, my son had a ruptured appendix and the hospital alone was 100k.

Seriously, did you not have medical insurance?

Healthy people get sick every day. How can Americans get by if the medical bills are so high? Has the ACA not put a stop to those insane costs?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

ACA has very little to with costs.

Makes insurance compulsory.

Rating factors can not include pre existing conditions.

Varies by State so I have a good idea of Colorado but not elsewhere. Somebody with PA specific knowledge would need to comment.

Medicaid is something else, here you have to be a PR for 5 years. I thought Colorado was relatively generous. Bit it varies.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

This might be a dumb reply by me, but can you not take travel insurance for say 6 months (from your home country) before you travel?

I'm in the UK, if I am intending to go for just a few months, is it better for me to take travel insurance from here before traveling? at least till I get a job in the US?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They are not visiting, they are migrating.

She wants cover for the foreseeable pregnancy.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.