1,449 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

several posts have been removed along with other posts that quoted those removed posts.
cease the drama on your own or moderation will make it cease.

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

The law is the law. Sandra is an extremely knowledgeable member, advocate, and attorney in this field. She is correct that 99% of the time, maybe even 99.9%, a state ID or driving licence will be sufficient; however that is not what the law states with regards to carrying your green card. In addition, it is against the ToS of this site to advocate breaking the law.

It is entirely your choice as to whether you carry your green card on your person - in compliance with federal law requiring you to do so - or you do not. I choose to do so, as I am a guest in this county and do not wish to break any law which I can comply with easily. If I lose my green card or have it stolen then I will have to pay out of pocket for a replacement. I accept that.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

The law is the law. Sandra is an extremely knowledgeable member, advocate, and attorney in this field. She is correct that 99% of the time, maybe even 99.9%, a state ID or driving licence will be sufficient; however that is not what the law states with regards to carrying your green card. In addition, it is against the ToS of this site to advocate breaking the law.

It is entirely your choice as to whether you carry your green card on your person - in compliance with federal law requiring you to do so - or you do not. I choose to do so, as I am a guest in this county and do not wish to break any law which I can comply with easily. If I lose my green card or have it stolen then I will have to pay out of pocket for a replacement. I accept that.

I accept your opinion Hypnos but to speak out of turn is another matter entirely either way the law states you must carry your green card at all times i agree but realistically I don't think a law abiding resident will be deported for not doing so I would like to believe they have alot more important things on their agenda than to arrest me for such.... law enforcement will an can find out if you are a resident or not.

Agreed. I don't think anything untoward is likely to come of not carrying it, but I just don't want to give them any ammo, you know? I don't want to be that edge case of 1/1000, or 1/10,000 which they decide to make an example out of.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Filed: Other Timeline

You guys, I think that this whole thing is being blown up way out of proportion. Really. I think, in my humble opinion and please don't crucify me on this one, this whole thing about carrying the ID all the time is being used to personally attack Sandra. Its like somebody who is just waiting and aching to find a reason. The law states that the green card should be carried at all times. But the law also states that any immigrant should report immediately if they moved from a different address. I have moved and I was late to inform USCIS about my address. But USCIS did not prosecute me because of that even when the law stated so. It is true that they have way more priorities than immigrants who do not carry their green card all the time. And I agree, if USCIS followed all the laws on the book, there would be waaaay less of us that gets a green card. They are also human being that we can reason with. They are not robots who follow 0 and 1 algorithm. And lets face it, America is the melting pot of the world. America has all types of immigrants. From Germans to Italians to Mexicans to Asians and so on and so forth. Nobody is going to stop people and ask them if they have in green cards in their pockets. That would be harrasment. Unless of course, the person is doing something peculiar or weird or broke the law, then and then, that person is asked for an ID. And if that person can present a valid photo ID at that point, its not going to be that big of a deal.

This forum is for everyone to productively help each other with their issues, support each other. Not destroy each other. It clearly states that there is no legal abiding contract between what users advice to each other. If you seek legal representation and technical legal advice then hire a lawyer. I think to personally accuse Sandra of misleading people and implying that she is advising people to break the law is ridiculous. She takes a lot of her time to help people. And that, i think a lot of people here would appreciate. Time is precious. Anybody can just say they care and they support you. But not all of us here really gives the time and effort to help people. Lets be honest. So lets keep this forum informative but also friendly. Lets all help each other achieve our goal here. And thats to be here in the USA legally and law abiding immigrants.

My VAWA Timeline

May 5, 2014 - Filed First VAWA

September 3, 2014 - Filed I485 and I765

September 7, 2014 - Found out USCIS administratively closed my i360 because US postal service sent my RFE letter back to Vermont

October 10, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment for i485

Sent USCIS to reopen case, scheduled infopass, wrote to ombudsman

November 4, 2014 - Filed Second VAWA

December 23, 2014 - i765 Approved

January 2, 2015 - Received i765 Card

January 5, 2015 - Applied for SSN

January 12, 2015 - Approval of second Vawa

Approval of second vawa took 2 months and 12 days! No RFE. God is great!

February 9, 2015 - I-485 File is transferred to NBC

May 5,2015 - Received Interview letter for I 485

May 14, 2015 - Interview date

June 22, 2015 - Received Welcome letter and Approval letter. Will receive Green Card within 2-3 weeks

TO GOD BE THE GREATER GLORY! AMDG!

I have nothing but the greatest regard for Sandra; she is far more knowledgeable than I about many subjects, and is a lawyer, which I am not. As I said though, federal law requires an LPR to carry their green card on their person at all times. This is a fact, it is not an opinion. It is also against VJ's ToS (see below) to advocate illegal activity. Again, this is a fact, not an opinion. Everyone is free to choose what they will do in their personal circumstances.

As to the subject of AR-11 address changes, it is again a federal misdemeanor to willfully not file a change of address form within 10 days of permanently moving to another address. Willfully meaning, you were aware of the obligation to do so and chose not to do it. Can USCIS prove willful? I would imagine in the overwhelming majority of circumstances they cannot. That's not really got anything to do with taking the five minutes to comply with the AR-11 obligation, but again that's everyone's individual choice.

This will be my final comment on the subject, as this thread is straying significantly away from its intended purpose, as a mod has already pointed out.

Edited by Hypnos

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Agreed. I don't think anything untoward is likely to come of not carrying it, but I just don't want to give them any ammo, you know? I don't want to be that edge case of 1/1000, or 1/10,000 which they decide to make an example out of.

Haa haa agreed!

You guys, I think that this whole thing is being blown up way out of proportion. Really. I think, in my humble opinion and please don't crucify me on this one, this whole thing about carrying the ID all the time is being used to personally attack Sandra. Its like somebody who is just waiting and aching to find a reason. The law states that the green card should be carried at all times. But the law also states that any immigrant should report immediately if they moved from a different address. I have moved and I was late to inform USCIS about my address. But USCIS did not prosecute me because of that even when the law stated so. It is true that they have way more priorities than immigrants who do not carry their green card all the time. And I agree, if USCIS followed all the laws on the book, there would be waaaay less of us that gets a green card. They are also human being that we can reason with. They are not robots who follow 0 and 1 algorithm. And lets face it, America is the melting pot of the world. America has all types of immigrants. From Germans to Italians to Mexicans to Asians and so on and so forth. Nobody is going to stop people and ask them if they have in green cards in their pockets. That would be harrasment. Unless of course, the person is doing something peculiar or weird or broke the law, then and then, that person is asked for an ID. And if that person can present a valid photo ID at that point, its not going to be that big of a deal.

This forum is for everyone to productively help each other with their issues, support each other. Not destroy each other. It clearly states that there is no legal abiding contract between what users advice to each other. If you seek legal representation and technical legal advice then hire a lawyer. I think to personally accuse Sandra of misleading people and implying that she is advising people to break the law is ridiculous. She takes a lot of her time to help people. And that, i think a lot of people here would appreciate. Time is precious. Anybody can just say they care and they support you. But not all of us here really gives the time and effort to help people. Lets be honest. So lets keep this forum informative but also friendly. Lets all help each other achieve our goal here. And thats to be here in the USA legally and law abiding immigrants.

Well said NorthArcher!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Five posts and one quoting have been removed from this thread for violating this tenet in the VisaJourney Terms of Service:

Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

What's more, some of the posts advocated casual, cavalier behavior in regard to one's responsibilities as a Permanent Resident -- stating absolutes as to what "will" or "will not" happen. Nothing is ever that absolute. If everyone were to follow such advice, some people would end up in deep trouble and would be spittin' mad at having believed such advice on VisaJourney. This is further justification for removing the pertinent posts.

Administrative action will be forthcoming if anyone continues to promote or refer to the referenced advice. This subject and the accompanying drama are not to be imported to other threads.

Please return to the topic of VAWA and stick to it.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

This is my last post in VJ .I ask VJ please to delete my profile,no idea how to do that. For those (Melanie UK,Hypnos,,TX bones)that think that I am instructing members to do illegal activity you have now chance to do what I did in VJ for 10 years, but you need to go to a Law school and work at least 20 years as an attorney to know half that I know. Life is made of choices,I chose not to be disrespected.Good luck to everyone.

This is my last post in VJ .I ask VJ please to delete my profile,no idea how to do that. For those (Melanie UK,Hypnos,,TX bones)that think that I am instructing members to do illegal activity you have now chance to do what I did in VJ for 10 years, but you need to go to a Law school and work at least 20 years as an attorney to know half that I know. Life is made of choices,I chose not to be disrespected.Good luck to everyone.

After having spoken to Sandra this morning I am saddened by her decision but I have to admit she being the experienced attorney that she is I don't blame her for removing herself from this website an forum.

Sandra has never given advice that was of an illegal nature and having known her personally now I thank God everyday for having met her because without her help I would not be a permanent resident today even having paid my attorney 10,000.00 an got no true help from him.

She has helped countless people have their VAWA application approved an assistance in their I485 application. So many people now will no longer have that genuine help from someone who truly is passionate about this cause.

Thank you Melanieuk for making this a reality for the hundreds of domestic violence victims who come on this forum seeking comfort advice an a legal perspective from someone who has over 20 years experience in the field of law. In the beginning I thrived totally on the advice an kind words found here on Visa journey but you have now made it all NOT the case for folks just like us who are to follow. I hope you can review vawa statements assist in writing up letters an oh do this after working hours until wee hours of the morning!

This is what Sandra did on this forum for 10 YEARS!!! After you receive your Greencard you may or may not even venture this way again. But Sandra has been here day after day helping us looking for nothing else in return. I am very disappointed an saddened by this. But thankful to have remained her friend.

This forum has lost a giant with a heart of gold an so many will not know of her goodness again.

so MelanieUK the baton is yours your free to give all the advice now as you see fit an challenge everyword/statement made by the member/s.

Filed: Other Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

This is so heartbreaking. Sandra has been a mother to everybody here,advicing and helping. I got help from her and she never stired any of us wrong.

Did melanieUK got her PR as yet?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one member thread banned from this thread due to pot stirring.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.