Lee&Ana

Motivation behind bringing a foreign woman to your country

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am pondering the motivation that a man has when he decides to look outside his country for a wife. I have my own thought process but I am interested in hearing what other men have to say on the subject. Perhaps this would be an opportunity to examine the phenomenon that is occuring now where many men are bringing foreign women to their country for marriage. I am about to start the k1 process for my girlfriend. I have my ideas as to what life could/would/should or will be like and what our respective roles in the marriage will be. Let the conversation begin.

My husband said a lot of American women now are nags or are annoying feminists, that's why most men now prefer women from other countries. Filipino women in particular are raised to attend to their husband's needs and this is a trait that my husband really appreciates.

I pretty much assumed that American men are finding foreign wives because American women suck. But then I found out that a lot of American women are finding foreign husbands; so maybe American men suck too. I guess we all suck. Pretty soon all those foreigners are going to find out we suck, divorce us, and then hook up with each other.

This thread makes me happy. and sad.

So I've seen a version of this thread about every six months in the last seven years I've been on this site (probably more than that actually). And it always ends badly - and gets locked down.

Your reply made me laugh out loud. Best response I've seen.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Who has no money for AOS? And more responses that are not contributing to the conversation but have a mocking and sarcastic tone to them. Forgive me for starting a thread and actually wanting to learn other people's reasoning for getting a partner from another country.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think if it's on the rise, I'd suspect the internet as a culprit. Simply put, introverts chill on the internet. They make good friends. Good friends become more. The border seems like a mere barrier to happiness, not an insurmountable gulf when you can talk to someone every moment of their waking life for minimal cost.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

If you want serious answers, here's a few:

Reason 1. Here is how I found a foreign bride. I was checking my retirement and I thought to myself, "That's not good." So, I started looking at other countries to retire to. My ideal country would have a low cost of living, speak English, and not have an overwhelming fondness for killing Americans. So, I found the Philippines. Then, I thought, "Hey, it would be kind of cool to know somebody from there." So, I found my wife online, we started talking, next thing you know....she's here and we're married - probably not part of a major phenomenon. I know that's not what you're looking for, but that's my story.

Reason 2. I have found that some men look for foreign wives, especially in the Philippines, for less than honorable reasons. Having spent enough time with Fil-Am couples here and there; I've noticed something. Some, but not all, Filipinas have an overly optimistic view of America and American men. They think we are all kind and generous and polite. So, some American men, but not all, find out that they can take advantage of this optimistic view. So, they find someone that they can fool into thinking he's all of these wonderful things and then, when she's finally here, she's stuck. He's happy and she's stuck in a horrible situation. This is not every situation, but I've seen it more than once. So, to summarize, some American men look for foreign brides because these men are total A-holes and they can fool someone online and for a two week visit and then control them the rest of their lives.

Reason 3. This is a very common reason. Some American men, and women, simply have not found somebody here - no real reason, it's just the way life is - so they look elsewhere. They find somebody, they fall in love, they go through the whole visa process, they get married, and they are happy. I really don't know what is the reason for this phenomenon. But I'm happy that others are happy.

I really hope you fall into the 3rd category.

Edited by B_J

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Mine wasn't looking for it. I was visiting my parents in Florida, we met and fell in love. I went back to Canada and he felt strongly enough to continue our relationship. His mother passed away suddenly and I came back to be with him. We decided on my visit that we didn't want to be apart anymore so we married.

I imported him to America because frankly I like 6'6" men who are good providers and fathers, can do house renovations, and are actually manly.

:pop:

Amen to that. Mine is a mechanic and I love that if I need my car fixed he won't charge me for it :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I can only speak for myself. I live in a small town(pop 200). I used Match,POF to meet local women. The results were poor. Not to many women I was interested in and or vice versa. I expanded my search to 3-4 hours distance. Very few(almost none in my case) were interested in starting a long distance relationship. I was talking to a woman in Canada….but there was something weird about that too. I think she was just scamming(may have even been a man…who knows)

So I decided to look abroad. The results were much different. I ended up flying to meet one,only to find we were not compatible. I met another one and we are more compatible than any women I have been with. It is more about compatible personalities than anything. Plus….she is more attractive than any of the women I have been able to date in my area.

Filed: Timeline

We fell in love and didn't want to be apart from each other.

It was a mutual decision that due to my husband's current commitments, we chose to make our home in the US for the foreseeable future. If my husband didn't have any of his current commitments, we would have stayed in the UK.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was checking out Belize and China was talking to some Chinese women and ended up on Cherry Blossoms met my Fiancee in chat box never knew I'd end up in Philippines engaged . I could have had a relationship in USA with American women but now enjoy mine with Filipina . I was just lucky