jd1982

I want to make my dream come true but don't know HOW

95 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well if that's the case maybe I should go the illegal route! Move to Mexico and cross the border with them and then get a visa because they're too lazy to kick the illegals out but they won't let decent honest people like me who want to start a new life over there move in. That was a sarcastic comment, by the way.

Ok, so my plan thus far..

1. take a holiday there to sample the country and culture and see if it lives up to its name (august-sept 2015) - this will mean learning where to go for the trip, saving for flight, and getting the right visa for the trip. If I get the wrong visa this might blow my chances in the long term if I find I like it there

2. if I like it there, start applying for jobs upon returning (from winter 2015). I think I'll keep my options open in terms of where to go, though I know places like California and NY will have too much competition as they're highly populated, so I'll 'look under' while everyone's 'looking upwards' for easier opportunities, so to speak.

3. keep saving up money and keep working in my job, building up experience and enough for an initial payment for a house there if offered a job (now)

4. apply for a visa upon getting a job offer (if ever), maybe an i-140? if anyone has any better ideas let me know

5. move if accepted a visa (if ever)

What does everyone think of this plan?

After reading that, it looks a little clear but for some reason it's left me nervous (?).

Edited by jd1982

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You do not need a visa to visit Look up VWP.

The Employer is the one that applies for a work visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Customs would not be involved. Would be an immigration matter. I have never heard of anything like that happening from the UK.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Customs would not be involved. Would be an immigration matter. I have never heard of anything like that happening from the UK.

I'm referring to US customs..... you know, customs & border control.. immigration in the airport. haha. It DOES happen, and yes, US customs IS involved. They're the ones making decisions on who gets let in. No one else. We witnessed it firsthand.

Edited by lovecometruex

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/2/14- I-129F form sent
♥ 10/3/14- USCIS received I-129F
♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
4/24/15- NOA2 [6.5 months; 199 days]
♥ 5/11/15- NVC received & case number assigned
5/13/15- NVC left
5/14/15- Consulate received & ready for interview
6/15/15- Interview- APPROVED!!

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

7/14/15- Marriage (Civil)

AOS

7/20/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent together

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

8/31/15- Expedited AP document (all in one day)

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

9/30/15- Received EAD/AP combo card

11/20/15- AOS NOA2 (no interview)

11/25/15- Green card received! Woohoo!!!

"Can my fiance(e) visit on VWP while awaiting K-1 visa?"
Check out our recent experience coming through JFK on VWP here!

*Fellow Ecuamerican couples: All info you need to know--

Concise post NOA-2 steps, advice, & consulate info here!*

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I saw a thread today or yesterday with someone Irish saying they went through their laptop.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Second that. You can come for 90 days or less without a visa. BUT make sure you bring some kind of proof of ties just in case (ie: pay stubs from your job or something like that ) because depeding on the airport, sometimes they can be hard on you in customs. My now fiance went thru 2 different airports.. He was in & out of JFK immigration. Took him 2 minutes. But at Newark they took him and his whole flight to second immigration, where they GRILLED them about their intentions, lying to them and trying to get them to say something wrong. They even called everyone's contacts & families and scared the hell out of us. They called me and were telling me my fiance was "telling a different story than me", which was a lie to try to get me to admit to something that wasn't true. Some airports just have terrible customs, so be ready to prove that you won't overstay past 90 days. Have EVERYTHING together. Your ESTA (research this), proof of ties to UK, and a letter explaining the purpose of your trip & how youll be back at such and such a date. Make sure you show a ROUND TRIP plane ticket. If they think youll overstay, theyll have no problem sending you on a plane back.

(Paragraph deleted by VJ Moderation)

You may not need this stuff, but it's good just in case. Better to be overprepared. But your plan seems like good short term goals! Good luck :)

The post above was removed from the thread, edited to remove a passage in which questionable behavior was mentioned, and returned to the thread.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

The post above was removed from the thread, edited to remove a passage in which questionable behavior was mentioned, and returned to the thread.

Um, please tell me where questionable behavior was mentioned. Everything I wrote was a true testimony of what my fiance experienced when going through customs.... Removing that was totally unnecessary. Nothing I said was inappropriate OR inaccurate. Please explain this, or I'll have to be going to someone about abusing some power here...

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
5/13/15- NVC left

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

AOS

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Answered via PM.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Since my original post was deleted (VJ is so touchy; I don't think I said anything wrong, but whatever), here's my EDITED post:

You can come for 90 days or less without a visa. BUT make sure you bring some kind of proof of ties just in case (ie: pay stubs from your job or something like that ) because depending on the airport, sometimes they can be hard on you in customs. My now fiance went thru 2 different airports.. He was in & out of JFK immigration. Took him 2 minutes. But at Newark they took him and his whole flight to second immigration, where they GRILLED them about their intentions, lying to them and trying to get them to say something wrong. They even called everyone's contacts & families and scared the hell out of us. They called me and were telling me my fiance was "telling a different story than me", which was a lie to try to get me to admit to something that wasn't true. Some airports just have terrible customs, so be ready to prove that you won't overstay past 90 days. Have EVERYTHING together. Your ESTA (research this), proof of ties to UK, and a letter explaining the purpose of your trip & how youll be back at such and such a date. Make sure you show a ROUND TRIP plane ticket. If they think youll overstay, theyll have no problem sending you on a plane back.

I won't say what I said earlier that was apparently misconstrued, BUT customs can check your phone, laptop, etc. So just know that that can happen, as well. (To VJ moderators- There is no reason to delete this part, as I'm just warning this can happen).

Hope that's a better post :) Thanks for explaining, TBoneTX.

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
5/13/15- NVC left

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

AOS

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Timeline

Planning a holiday is good idea, gives you a focus.

Timeline

What do people think of my plan in the meantime? thanks

We told you, hahaha. Your first step was to go there for a holiday. That's what my comment was referring to :) It's a good idea.

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
5/13/15- NVC left

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

AOS

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok. What about coping with my feelings from now to holiday?

My feelings because of the whole matter, if I sit down and think about it:

- I have trouble controlling anxiety

- this longing to be there and not caring about anything else around me at the present has made me feel numb,

- unable to concentrate,

- slow,

- unable to enjoy things that would otherwise give me pleasure (e.g. gaming),

- fatigued, feeling helpless and hopeless

- feelings of emptiness

- deep envy

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok. What about coping with my feelings from now to holiday?

My feelings because of the whole matter, if I sit down and think about it:

- I have trouble controlling anxiety

- this longing to be there and not caring about anything else around me at the present has made me feel numb,

- unable to concentrate,

- slow,

- unable to enjoy things that would otherwise give me pleasure (e.g. gaming),

- fatigued, feeling helpless and hopeless

- feelings of emptiness

- deep envy

Think long and hard, how would being in the US help those things?

Not everybody in the States has an idyllic lifestyle, you could get to the States and find yourself in just the same rut you're in right now of just work, go home, sleep, wake up and back to work again. But you wouldn't have your family or friends around you to give you support.

I'm not saying you should give up on your dreams, just don't let them consume you.

Visit, do some touristy things but also go off the tourist trail and see the real America that doesn't get shown on the telly.

There's no easy path to take to be able to live in the States and none of them are quick. Don't let dreams of the future stop you from living in the now.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.