TeaCup

What to pack?! Am I bringing too much?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ok guys, we are anticipating our move will be in January sometime, I dont want to leave everything to last minute so I have began packing, I've sold off and got rid of everything big, furniture and what not.

Now, for the little things

I have quite the collection of mugs! I'm bringing just about all of them, out of the 50 or so that I have I'm willing to part with 5! I've sent most to the states already and I'm only bringing my most precious with me in my hand luggage. I have lots of baking items, I'm bring all of my rubber moulds and shapes which is quite a lot! lol I have a lot of clothes, and I've gotten rid of a lot too (hopefully going to get rid of more) ! Am I mad bringing so much?! and I'm quite petite, it'll be impossible to find clothes? I also have a huge collection of baking magazines that over the years cost me hundreds! There's around 130 magazines, bring or not?! hmm.. I feel it will be expensive to replace all these in the states

Also, I have a lot of cr*p (MY CR*P!!) I just can't seem to part with, just stupid things, things I wouldnt look at one day to the next, like knick knacks and what not, but they are all just so sentimental to me. I feel like I'll regret it if I don't bring them!

I have 4 suitcases set aside 2 large and 2 medium. I'm considering getting rid of one of the large ones and forcing myself to downsize!

So tell me, am I mad bringing everything? What did you pack?! Looking forward to hearing other peoples experiences!! :)

Edited by TeaCup

Met Online - July, 2009
To see our full timeline see "Spolier"

USCIS
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Dublin, Ireland
Marriage : September, 12th 2012
I-130 Sent : November, 11th 2013
I-130 NOA1: November, 20th 2013
I-130 NOA2 : April, 28th 2014

NVC
Shipped to NVC: May 1st, 2014
Case Received: May 13th, 2014
Case Number Assigned: June 6th, 2014
AOS Bill Paid: June 22nd, 2014
AOS Packet sent Express: June 27th, 2014
AOS Packet Received and signed for by "NVISA*: June 30th, 2014
AOS Packet scanned into system: July 3rd, 2014
IV Bill invoiced and paid: August 7th, 2014
DS260 completed: August 8th, 2014
IV Packet sent Express: August 9th, 2014
ATTEMPTED DELIVERY UNITED STATES 16-Aug-14
11:58 NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS (tried to deliver on a saturday) :lol:

IV Packet Received and signed for by *NVISA CENTER*: August 18th, 2014
IV Packet scanned in: 19th August, 2014
AOS Checklist - August 21st, 2014 http://prntscr.com/4gsyod click link to see the checklist
Fixed AOS (I-864a) Sent to NVC - September 8th, 2014
Fixed AOS Received and signed for by *NVISA CENTER*: September 15th, 2014

CASE COMPLETE - 20th October 2014
Medical Scheduled: November 12th
Interview December 23rd (called October 30th)

Interview Changed to December 8th! (Embassy called me!!)

Interview Result: APRROVED! :dance:

Visa in hand: December 11th!

event.png event.png

Bring all your stuff, dont let anything behind! its part of your life, so its fair take all that with you! (ll do it!) :)

event.png

Nov/28/2017 -- Mailed I- 751 ROC to USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.

Nov/30/2017 -- Package was delivered in USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.                                                                       

Dec/04/2017 --  Fee check cash out.  

Dec/07/2017 --  NOA 1 with December 01/2017 as the date.

Dec/23/2017 --  Biometrics letter dated December 15/2017 and appointment scheduled 01/02/2018 at 10 am. 

Jan/02/2018 --  Biometrics appointment at 10 am.      

Aug/11/2018 --  NOA 18 months extension letter dated Aug/06/2018   from Vermont Service Center.    

Feb/25/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Feb/27/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Jan/30/2019 -- Case Approved. New card is being produced (DHS- USCIS website & USCIS tracker)     

Feb/04/2019 --  Received  letter with Approval notice 1-797 (notice date Jan 30/2019).

Feb/05/2019 -- Green card in hand! 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

mainly bring the necessities

April 15, 2014 : I-129F Package Sent

April 19, 2014 : I-129F Package Delivery Confirmation via USPS

April 24, 2014 - NOA1 received via email/text

April 25, 2014 - Alien Registration Number changed

April 28, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail.

May 23, 2014 - RFE received in mail.

June 5, 2014 - Response to RFE Sent

June 11, 2014 - NOA2 Approval via website!!!

June 14, 2014 - NOA2 received in mail.

June 24, 2014 - NVC Case # via phone!

June 25, 2014 - NVC forwarded case to Embassy

June 26, 2014 - Embassy received case.

June 26, 2014 - NVC letter in mail.

August 4-5, 2014 - Medical

August 6, 2014 - CFO Seminar

August 13, 2014 - VIsa Interview (Expedited)

August 19, 2014 - VISA ready for pick up!

August 20, 2014 - Packet 3 Arrived

August 26, 2014 - POE!

August 26, 2014 - Notice to schedule an Interview...

October 23, 2014 - AOS/EAD Package Sent

October 30, 2014 - NOA1 via website

November 1, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail

November 6, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled in mail

November 19, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment

Ok guys, we are anticipating our move will be in January sometime, I dont want to leave everything to last minute so I have began packing, I've sold off and got rid of everything big, furniture and what not.

I have quite the collection of mugs! I'm bringing just about all of them, out of the 50 or so that I have I'm willing to part with 5! I've sent most to the states already and I'm only bringing my most precious with me in my hand luggage. I have lots of baking items, I'm bring all of my rubber moulds and shapes which is quite a lot! lol I have a lot of clothes, and I've gotten rid of a lot too (hopefully going to get rid of more) ! Am I mad bringing so much?! and I'm quite petite, it'll be impossible to find clothes? I also have a huge collection of baking magazines that over the years cost me hundreds! There's around 130 magazines, bring or not?! hmm.. I feel it will be expensive to replace all these in the states

Also, I have a lot of cr*p (MY CR*P!!) I just can't seem to part with, just stupid things, things I wouldnt look at one day to the next, like knick knacks and what not, but they are all just so sentimental to me. I feel like I'll regret it if I don't bring them!

I have 4 suitcases set aside 2 large and 2 medium. I'm considering getting rid of one of the large ones and forcing myself to downsize!

So tell me, am I mad bringing everything? What did you pack?! Looking forward to hearing other peoples experiences!! :)

I'm petite as well ( 4'10") and I also believe couldn't find clothes that fit with me in the US. I had 4 large boxes, 2 large suitcases, one small one, handbag, and 2 backpacks ( mine and my husband's backpack). I brought all my clothes, some of my kitchen appliances since my husband never cooked and I love those so I can cook immediately.

I left behind all other things like television set with home theatre, I brought some of my books. I donated other books to my friends and family. I gave away things that can't work in the US like blender and other electronic stuff. I think I brought more that you have already planned.

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Is there anyplace you can store some of the things?

Hopefully you are able to return back in a year or so and bring more if it is needed.

Timeline

I'm petite as well ( 4'10") and I also believe couldn't find clothes that fit with me in the US. I had 4 large boxes, 2 large suitcases, one small one, handbag, and 2 backpacks ( mine and my husband's backpack). I brought all my clothes, some of my kitchen appliances since my husband never cooked and I love those so I can cook immediately.

I left behind all other things like television set with home theatre, I brought some of my books. I donated other books to my friends and family. I gave away things that can't work in the US like blender and other electronic stuff. I think I brought more that you have already planned.

Wow!! I'm 4'9!! lol I went through more clothes today and managed to donate 8 more items!! I'm just so bad at this! I'm going to mail one of the suitcases full this week, (works out cheaper at $75 instead of $100 at the airport) I'm allowed 20kg so I was able to send a bunch of clothes and some mugs.

I'm going to get rid of my hairdryer and stuff and replace when we get back. We'll be living at his moms temporarily so I'll be able to use his sisters.

I'm getting rid of all my books except 2, the rest are going to charity. Hubby won't part with his and is bringing like 30 books. There's no changing his mind!! haha

Thank you for your answer!!

Is there anyplace you can store some of the things?

Hopefully you are able to return back in a year or so and bring more if it is needed.

Unfortunately no, my family all have kids etc and I just wouldnt burden them with my things. Parents are not an option and paid storage is just too expensive :/

Met Online - July, 2009

USCIS

NVC

AOS Checklist - August 21st, 2014 http://prntscr.com/4gsyod click link to see the checklist

event.png event.png

Wow!! I'm 4'9!! lol I went through more clothes today and managed to donate 8 more items!! I'm just so bad at this! I'm going to mail one of the suitcases full this week, (works out cheaper at $75 instead of $100 at the airport) I'm allowed 20kg so I was able to send a bunch of clothes and some mugs.

I'm going to get rid of my hairdryer and stuff and replace when we get back. We'll be living at his moms temporarily so I'll be able to use his sisters.

I'm getting rid of all my books except 2, the rest are going to charity. Hubby won't part with his and is bringing like 30 books. There's no changing his mind!! haha

Thank you for your answer!!

Unfortunately no, my family all have kids etc and I just wouldnt burden them with my things. Parents are not an option and paid storage is just too expensive :/

LOL. Are you kidding me? I always have had a thought I am the smallest woman in the world, :lol: (normal size). You really are. I am trying to get used to US Units because in my country we use metric system - I am 148 centimeters by the way-.

Just donate things you can't carry. I had to let go some books that I had collected for years especially Paulo Coelho's books. It broke my heart. But my husband promises will buy me new ones in English version.

Good luck for the trip. And have a safe flight!

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Timeline

Thankfully, I'd built up a small wardrobe during my previous trips, through leaving items as well as US purchases. So even if I didn't bring any clothing items with me, I'd still have things to wear.

With an entire house to go through, downsizing was probably one of the most painful experiences during this part of the process. I left some winter clothes and a few bits and pieces with family. I ended up with one large suitcase and two rucksacks. And I was still left "panic-packing" half an hour before my taxi arrived to take me to the airport.

If I were you, I would think long and hard about what you want to keep. You are starting a new life and you won't have room to build that new life if you are still holding on to a lot of items from your past. This might sound a little hokey, but what I did was to hold some items to me, thank them for being in my life and giving me joy, then I told them that I would be letting them go now. Then I disposed of them, either through charity, as presents, recycling or the bin. You definitely should not be bringing items with you that need cleaning and/or repair - this should be the first lot of items to get rid of.

I'm also a petite woman. I've found casual clothes, e.g., basic t-shirts, in girl's junior departments as well as Forever 21, Wet Seal, H&M, etc. Jeans, I go to the Levi outlets. For more formal clothes, I shop the petite ranges of New York & Co, J. Crew, Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft. Underwear is harder, especially bras - I go to Target for their size 4s and junior t-shirt bras. I'm in California though and have access to a lot outlet malls.

Timeline

LOL. Are you kidding me? I always have had a thought I am the smallest woman in the world, :lol: (normal size). You really are. I am trying to get used to US Units because in my country we use metric system - I am 148 centimeters by the way-.

Just donate things you can't carry. I had to let go some books that I had collected for years especially Paulo Coelho's books. It broke my heart. But my husband promises will buy me new ones in English version.

Good luck for the trip. And have a safe flight!

Yeah, I'm super smal!! Thank you so much!

Thankfully, I'd built up a small wardrobe during my previous trips, through leaving items as well as US purchases. So even if I didn't bring any clothing items with me, I'd still have things to wear.

With an entire house to go through, downsizing was probably one of the most painful experiences during this part of the process. I left some winter clothes and a few bits and pieces with family. I ended up with one large suitcase and two rucksacks. And I was still left "panic-packing" half an hour before my taxi arrived to take me to the airport.

If I were you, I would think long and hard about what you want to keep. You are starting a new life and you won't have room to build that new life if you are still holding on to a lot of items from your past. This might sound a little hokey, but what I did was to hold some items to me, thank them for being in my life and giving me joy, then I told them that I would be letting them go now. Then I disposed of them, either through charity, as presents, recycling or the bin. You definitely should not be bringing items with you that need cleaning and/or repair - this should be the first lot of items to get rid of.

I'm also a petite woman. I've found casual clothes, e.g., basic t-shirts, in girl's junior departments as well as Forever 21, Wet Seal, H&M, etc. Jeans, I go to the Levi outlets. For more formal clothes, I shop the petite ranges of New York & Co, J. Crew, Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft. Underwear is harder, especially bras - I go to Target for their size 4s and junior t-shirt bras. I'm in California though and have access to a lot outlet malls.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

I'm such a hoarder and I really need to let go of some things, everything I find I feel is just too sentimental even though it's not!! lol . That's exactly what I don't want to happen, "Panic-Packing" I know I'll end up doing it and want to avoid it at all cost. Thankfully, The rented house I'm in now almost everything in it belongs to the landlord apart from some bedroom things and small kitchen items, we are having work done on the bedroom so I've had to take EVERYTHING out and it's really helping me find things to get rid of.

Underwear- I hadn't even thought of!! Now I'm afraid I won't be able to find a comfortable fit like I do here, especially with bras. I'm small chested so it might be hard for me. Maybe I should stock up before I leave!? lol Thank you for the reccomendations for small fit clothes , I'll be in Illinois and only 30 minutes from Chicago so I'll hopefully find some of those stores!

Met Online - July, 2009

USCIS

NVC

event.png event.png

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

If you know what airline you are flying, check the overage fees for weight and number of bags. Then check the postage cost for surface mail.

It's getting to the point now where it's not much difference to send by post than to go over the airline limits. Might work for the magazines or clothes and things.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

If you know what airline you are flying, check the overage fees for weight and number of bags. Then check the postage cost for surface mail.

It's getting to the point now where it's not much difference to send by post than to go over the airline limits. Might work for the magazines or clothes and things.

I just checked the airline we're most likely to fly with (Aer Lingus) They allow one 23kg checked bag free of charge and 1 small hand luggage free of charge then it's €100 per excess bag weighing 23kg

Now, the post office are saying €75 for a box weighing 20kg as that is the heaviest they can take, but for €80, I can send that same box registered with a tracking number so it's not a bad deal!!

I think I'll get rid of some suitcases and send everything over my box. and just bring my one suitcase and hand luggage. seems much cheaper!!

Thanks for the advice! :)

Met Online - July, 2009

USCIS

NVC

event.png event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It doesn't matter what size you are, clothes are EASY to find in the US. So are ordinary everyday household items like your baking magazines and baking supplies. Bring your favourites but don't think you 'have to' take anything in particular because they really will be easy to replace.

The things I really wish I'd brought with me were larger sentimental items that were left behind because of size/weight and my miniscule mailing budget of four or five 'flat rate' mailing boxes. I couldn't fit them into my three suitcases so I left them behind. I was going to go back and get them later, but I never did, and ten years later I still long for my paintings and my beautiful handmade quilt (that mama persuaded me to give to her because she wanted to keep it!) And my photographs... I scanned a bunch of them to save weight and thought I had EVERYTHING covered digitally but somehow I only ended up with a partial selection (I seem to remember a disk or so went bad). I still wish I had the (long gone) originals of my baby pictures etc.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Timeline

It doesn't matter what size you are, clothes are EASY to find in the US. So are ordinary everyday household items like your baking magazines and baking supplies. Bring your favourites but don't think you 'have to' take anything in particular because they really will be easy to replace.

The things I really wish I'd brought with me were larger sentimental items that were left behind because of size/weight and my miniscule mailing budget of four or five 'flat rate' mailing boxes. I couldn't fit them into my three suitcases so I left them behind. I was going to go back and get them later, but I never did, and ten years later I still long for my paintings and my beautiful handmade quilt (that mama persuaded me to give to her because she wanted to keep it!) And my photographs... I scanned a bunch of them to save weight and thought I had EVERYTHING covered digitally but somehow I only ended up with a partial selection (I seem to remember a disk or so went bad). I still wish I had the (long gone) originals of my baby pictures etc.

Thanks for your input!

I have things set aside that I need to still decided whether to keep or not. I'm really trying to let go, but when I do, my inner hoarder comes out lol

The only thing I'm keeping here with my dad until I have the money (only because he's using it right now) Is an old toy chest that I don't want to get rid of but it's way expensive to ship over right now.

Met Online - July, 2009

USCIS

NVC

event.png event.png