Trumplestiltskin

What's Up With U.S. Maternity Leave?

113 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What's Up With U.S. Maternity Leave?

The U.S. guarantees no paid leave for new mothers. How do we stack up?
The United States’ record on regulating employment practices has come under some scrutiny of late. It is the only industrialized nation that does not mandate a single day of paid vacation, leaving it to employers to offer something that has been shown to boost productivity. Iraq and Afghanistan, countries that America invaded to free from oppressive regimes and has administered to for a decade, each mandate twenty days paid leave every year, for every worker.
Another issue on our cultural radar is maternity leave. In a familiar story, the U.S. has no law guaranteeing any paid maternity leave and is the only industrialized nation to do so.

1414603917669.cached.jpg

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/29/what-s-up-with-u-s-maternity-leave.html

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In the Philippines, we get 2 months paid maternity leave for normal delivery, 3 months for C-section.

I was surprised that so many jobs in the US only provide 10 days of paid vacation.

Pretty much any job in the UK provides at least 20, at that's on the low end.

The US lags far behind when it comes to workers benefits. We even have a ballot question here in Mass for next weeks election requiring all employers to give their employees paid sick days if it passes. Currently there is nothing mandating that in the state of Mass.

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Most Canadian jobs seem to only give 2 weeks vacay yet we have a year maternity/paternity leave. I always give big ups to the dad's who choose taking paternity leave. Awesome!

However, one thing that seems to not be taken into account with these stats is how many people actually take advantage of this leave? Having had two C sections I could not imagine returning to work after two weeks especially for a job that requires physical labour.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

We don't agree with allowing parents to bond with their children. One of the reasons for moral decay in this country. Not enough emphasis on family.

Yea right. Its always someone elses fault isn't it? Ever here of personal responsibility?

Edited by Merle

Filed: Timeline

I was surprised that so many jobs in the US only provide 10 days of paid vacation.

Pretty much any job in the UK provides at least 20, at that's on the low end.

In my current job I used to get 5 vacation days. I get 10 now. In the UK I received 25 days. I didn't know how good I had it back then......

1d35bdb6477b38fedf8f1ad2b4c743ea.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
It is the only industrialized nation that does not mandate a single day of paid vacation,

Good.I support this.

I also support up to 6 months unpaid leave. If an employer wants to give more...I also support that.