Trumplestiltskin

What's Up With U.S. Maternity Leave?

113 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

They'll get by, just like small business owners in the rest of the developed world. Tired of the same old excuses, to get out of doing the right thing.

Exactly! I don't understand the proposition that US small business owners are somehow incapable of that which small business owners in the rest of the developed world are capable of. And many of those non-US small business owners are not only capable of that but actually are competitively better placed than their US counterparts. They don't just get by, they thrive. So, it's possible. Just not here. Why? Because America is the greatest?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In Ontario, at least, maternity leave pay is covered by EI, employment insurance. I don't understand why it would fall to the small business owners, necessarily. You pay into employment insurance from every pay cheque.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

In Ontario, at least, maternity leave pay is covered by EI, employment insurance. I don't understand why it would fall to the small business owners, necessarily. You pay into employment insurance from every pay cheque.

California has that same system, I'm not sure if other states do.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

We don't agree with allowing parents to bond with their children. One of the reasons for moral decay in this country. Not enough emphasis on family.

Exactemente !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

There are some states that have maternity laws but like everything else on this forum there are a bunch of foreigners that come here and then make a big deal out of things that are different than where they came from. The USA is not like England or Monaco ir wherever and the states (50 of them) make their own rules on a lot of things. The federal government doesn't have to intervene in every issue. Also, if a company is worth a beans they will most likely offer maternity leave without the government forcing them to.

Timeline

California has that same system, I'm not sure if other states do.

You mean one of if not the most broke states in the U.S. pays people to not work? Who would have thunk it?

You mean one of if not the most broke states in the U.S. pays people to not work? Who would have thunk it?

As far as I know, the maternity leave program in California is paid for by the workers of the state, it's deducted from their paycheck. Do you have any proof that California's maternity leave program is a financial drain on their budget?

Timeline

As far as I know, the maternity leave program in California is paid for by the workers of the state, it's deducted from their paycheck. Do you have any proof that California's maternity leave program is a financial drain on their budget?

http://caltax.org/homepage/caltaxuifactsheetupdate1013.pdf

There's an intersting article for you.

http://caltax.org/homepage/caltaxuifactsheetupdate1013.pdf

There's an intersting article for you.

That article is in reference to California's unemployment insurance program which is separate from their maternity leave program linked below.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/disability/

I'm not sure if it's a self supportive system or not.

Timeline

That article is in reference to California's unemployment insurance program which is separate from their maternity leave program linked below.

I'm not sure if it's a self supportive system or not.

Wouldn't that be the same as a person having $100 in their savings account and then having $10,000 in credit card debt but then claiming they aren't broke?

Wouldn't that be the same as a person having $100 in their savings account and then having $10,000 in credit card debt but then claiming they aren't broke?

I'm not sure what you're getting at but the wording on the website is as follows:

Overview - State Disability Insurance

California State Disability Insurance (SDI) is a partial wage-replacement insurance plan for California workers. The SDI program is state-mandated and funded through employee payroll deductions. SDI provides affordable, short-term benefits to eligible workers. Workers covered by SDI are covered by two benefits: Disability Insurance (DI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL). To learn more about SDI, visit About the Program.

It appears to be an insurance pool, no different from auto or home insurance. Like I said, I'm not sure of the financial standing of the program. If it's not self sufficient, then it should be changed or eliminated.

Let's say that hypothetically the Family Leave program is completely self sufficient, would you consider it a bad thing for families to be able to take time off to spend with their newborn?

Timeline

Let's say that hypothetically the Family Leave program is completely self sufficient, would you consider it a bad thing for families to be able to take time off to spend with their newborn?

Nope, I dont think it's a bad idea but I dont think employers need the federal government forcing another regulation

on them either.