Janelle2002

7 Things I Can Do That My Black Son Can’t

189 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I too have a biracial son (21 y.o) and I can attest to the truth in this article. At least some of the 7, I have witnessed firsthand. I have seen my son get followed in a store. I know so much more of his white ancestors' history than his black ancestors' history. And, something that was not mentioned, I know the casual racism of white people who truly feel that blacks (and browns) get unfair advantage in this country. I have heard racist sentiments uttered by people who think I must share those sentiments because I am white. And as an older white man, I know that I have much more leeway in my interactions with the rest of America.

Filed: Timeline
But that's what parents are for. To worry about the future of their kids. You wouldn't be a parent if you didn't worry about your child's future would you?

I disagree. Parents are there to guide their kids in making smart choices rather than to be fearful about the world.

If his parenting comes from a place of fear, God help his son.

I too have a biracial son (21 y.o) and I can attest to the truth in this article. At least some of the 7, I have witnessed firsthand. I have seen my son get followed in a store. I know so much more of his white ancestors' history than his black ancestors' history. And, something that was not mentioned, I know the casual racism of white people who truly feel that blacks (and browns) get unfair advantage in this country. I have heard racist sentiments uttered by people who think I must share those sentiments because I am white. And as an older white man, I know that I have much more leeway in my interactions with the rest of America.

Thank you for sharing that with us. And I'm sorry it is so. One can only hope that these things will change for the better. If not in our generation then perhaps in our children's.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sad his focus is only on the negatives.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Well, for most people, children are their future. They live for their children. Once you have a child, everything you ever were, wanted to be and so much more goes into that child, the moment you have been waiting for. To constantly think stupidity will take your child away is frightening. I am glad this father is taking steps to hopefully minimize the stupidity his child may face by educating people about the reality that others face. Thumbs up to this guy. If my husband was not so old, I would wait until I am able to move back to Sri Lanka to have a child. Which would be in another 5-6 years. I am too fearful of the future black males have in America sadly.

:rofl: You are frighteningly funny.

Somebody checked out my photos one too many times before I deleted them. lol

Okay. I'm kidding. Tell Su don't kill me.

Hahahaha that's actually my husband. I keep telling VJ I can't update my timeline properly. They have yet to fix it. :rolleyes:

Maybe you are. :wub: You are crushing on me a little too hard. shish I'm blushing through my computer.

But that's what parents are for. To worry about the future of their kids. You wouldn't be a parent if you didn't worry about your child's future would you?

She already on the flight to Texas right now. I think my blackness has rubbed off on her a little bit. She kept talking about cutting someone :rofl:

No, it's sad that his points are valid. That his son is going to go through things he will never experience just because he is a young black male.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Sad that you think that's the sad part. The sad part should be that there are negatives attributed to nothing but skin color at all.

She already on the flight to Texas right now. I think my blackness has rubbed off on her a little bit. She kept talking about cutting someone :rofl:

No, it's sad that his points are valid. That his son is going to go through things he will never experience just because he is a young black male.

:wow: Tell her please have mercy on me. I love Malaysian people!! :rofl::cry:

Sad that you think that's the sad part. The sad part should be that there are negatives attributed to nothing but skin color at all.

How do you live without focusing on one of the things that worry you the most? You can only think of ways to fix it.

:wow: Tell her please have mercy on me. I love Malaysian people!! :rofl::cry:

How do you live without focusing on one of the things that worry you the most? You can only think of ways to fix it.

I told her to stop at Whataburger and bring me back some food after she cuts you. Don't worry though, she's only a buck twenty armed with a knife. You're in Texas, you people wear guns like clothes. :rofl:

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

:rofl: I love the responses. If someone doesn't post within 90 minutes everyone is "See I told you so!"

Isn't that insane. Maybe we have or life or maybe we got suspended.

I guess is son could get elected president in a place that is over 70% white.

9. My son can't beat a police officer in the face and try to take his gun and shoot him, without getting killed.

The difference between Me and them, is I don't laser in on the color of who said what. Idiotic rhetoric is idiotic rhetoric. I don't see race in everything, unlike the 2 or 3 on here who claim we should be color blind.

I see it's true because a white man said it and questionable because a black man said, so say the color blind crew ROFL

Yes it's the bizarre.

Edited by The Nature Boy

I don't see anyone saying "see, I told you so" unless you're reading something into the responses that I'm not.

I think it's mostly just amusement that it seems there are people under the impression that black people are the ones who play the race card. And if a white man dares to suggest that hey, these complaints might be valid, nobody's around.

When a black man makes the exact same statements in this article, people are quick to jump on him for making excuses or seeing racism in everything.

Tell us again how many Black people live anywhere near you and how many you interact with on a daily basis.

If I were to post an article about something that deals with race, I'm accused of being obsessed with it. If you do a thread count and see how many posts I start that deal with race vs non-racial threads, I'd have a better count against the folks who are TRULY obsessed with race.

Translation-- I may be obsessed with race, but I am not as bad as so and so over there ...ROfl

Our usual suspects were quiet today. Maybe they were busy.

The usual suspects are having a field day talking in circles, pating themselves on the back, and playing a 100 diffrent what if scenarios without a damn fact anywhere.

Great you all think it's more important when a white man says something, and words are very important based on the race of the speaker.

But yet all of you are color blind

SMH

Quote from Article Geez

"I wrote an essay titled “I Hope My Son Stays White,"