Janelle2002

7 Things I Can Do That My Black Son Can’t

189 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Let me see if I can clear this up a bit:

1. NB's and quite a few others view on racism is based on an older view. NB grew up in the time when racism was in your face. Lynchings, dogs, water hoses and such were the norm. Because this doesn't happen anymore on a grand scale, he doesn't see it as racism. It's become more of an uncomfortable situation rather than discrimination. This is why unless the N word is deployed or something that happens screams bigotry people like him won't see it.

2. The other thing is justifiable racism. Meaning, if you're wearing baggy pants, dreads, gold teeth, etc, you're going to be more watched. Which is not true since I'm pretty sure Mr. Whitaker and Mrs. Davis are as far removed as they can be from that and it didn't help them. This is why when something happens to a black person, there's a scramble to justify what happened to them as a product of their own doing. Got arrested for buying a belt? What clothes were you wearing? Hell, I've been followed in stores and it's irritating because they don't ask you for help, but just stay out of range watching you.

There's also another side to that portrayal. Someone who has grown up in the 1970s and seen things like bussing, affirmative action etc. etc. Govt. programs designed to integrate races when they actually separated them even further and created even more resentment.

Programs instituted to help the poor, that have done nothing except keep them poor and dependent on govt.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

There's also another side to that portrayal. Someone who has grown up in the 1970s and seen things like bussing, affirmative action etc. etc. Govt. programs designed to integrate races when they actually separated them even further and created even more resentment.

Programs instituted to help the poor, that have done nothing except keep them poor and dependent on govt.

You do realize at list a little over 8,000,000 blacks are not on any kind of government assistance. And, this program was not solely created to help blacks, which to me is what you are implying although not stating.

It is not my fault, my government didn't know what to do with my ancestors so they shoved them into communities, threw food stamps and shut the doors.

Instead they should have given them land and a means to create income without having to depend of the exact same people that enslaved them.

Please tell me another way that could have helped qualified blacks gain employment? You can't tell people to work if no one is willing to hire them because they are black. Please give me an alternative to affirmative action. Which is not only used for black people. Because white women had a hard time getting jobs as well because they were women. Their men wanted them barefoot, pregnant cooking stew instead of working.

Timeline

You do realize at list a little over 8,000,000 blacks are not on any kind of government assistance. And, this program was not solely created to help blacks, which to me is what you are implying although not stating.

It is not my fault, my government didn't know what to do with my ancestors so they shoved them into communities, threw food stamps and shut the doors.

Instead they should have given them land and a means to create income without having to depend of the exact same people that enslaved them.

Please tell me another way that could have helped qualified blacks gain employment? You can't tell people to work if no one is willing to hire them because they are black. Please give me an alternative to affirmative action. Which is not only used for black people. Because white women had a hard time getting jobs as well because they were women. Their men wanted them barefoot, pregnant cooking stew instead of working.

I don't think anyone threw black folks in to communities and shut the doors. What I do see, here and other places, is a tendency to blame all the ills of the black community on slavery, segregation, racism, etc. etc. while not accepting responsibility for their actions. Try to take a cops gun and assault him, end up dead, Racism! Beat a man within an inch of his life and end up dead because he defends himself, Racism! Raised in a single parent household without finishing school, and then can't get a job, Racism! Break the law and then end up in jail, Racism!

While there are racial problems in this country, it's nowhere near what it used to be. The pendulum has swung so far the other way that it's now the default go to response whenever something bad happens to a black person. It HAS to be racism. When in reality, most of the time it's just life. All the race blaming business has given people an easy way to not accept responsibility for their own actions. It's "I'm in jail because I'm black" Not "I'm in jail because I broke the law"

I don't think anyone threw black folks in to communities and shut the doors. What I do see, here and other places, is a tendency to blame all the ills of the black community on slavery, segregation, racism, etc. etc. while not accepting responsibility for their actions. Try to take a cops gun and assault him, end up dead, Racism! Beat a man within an inch of his life and end up dead because he defends himself, Racism! Raised in a single parent household without finishing school, and then can't get a job, Racism! Break the law and then end up in jail, Racism!

While there are racial problems in this country, it's nowhere near what it used to be. The pendulum has swung so far the other way that it's now the default go to response whenever something bad happens to a black person. It HAS to be racism. When in reality, most of the time it's just life. All the race blaming business has given people an easy way to not accept responsibility for their own actions. It's "I'm in jail because I'm black" Not "I'm in jail because I broke the law"

And where exactly have you read this from many of black people that post here on VJ? You have never heard us say ALL of the ills of black people are because of racism.

If you think a stalker should get away with stalking someone and killing them, this is your thought process.

I grew up in the 70's as well. The problem is without AA, how would people of color or even women advance? AA has benefited white women more than anyone else since it's inception.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

And where exactly have you read this from many of black people that post here on VJ? You have never heard us say ALL of the ills of black people are because of racism.

If you think a stalker should get away with stalking someone and killing them, this is your thought process.

Well maybe I'm reading things wrong, but I could swear this Ferguson thing and the Sanford thing were blamed on racism by you and others here. I may have misread you. I apologize.

What are you talking about stalking? Are you referring to the TM/GZ thing? If so, then I rest my case.

I grew up in the 70's as well. The problem is without AA, how would people of color or even women advance? AA has benefited white women more than anyone else since it's inception.

There are more white people on welfare than blacks

Crack is pushed by white people and is destroying the black race. (oldie but goodie)

I could go on and on

Do they issue a black person a flash card with all the appropriate responses and cliches when the become of age

Timeline

How much harm has it done? I'd argue that it's created resentment among many. How about the more qualified white person that didn't get a job because of his race? And here I thought giving someone preferential treatment based on their race was the very definition of racism, yet it's considered ok depending on which race you happen to be.

TM and M Brown, where unarmed young black men minding their own business they were executed for being black.

Pay attention

Actually, this is pretty much what happened. When you start talking about things such as white flight, gerrymandered districts, etc. You grew up in Detroit right? When the population started to become more diverse, what happened?

How much harm has it done? I'd argue that it's created resentment among many. How about the more qualified white person that didn't get a job because of his race? And here I thought giving someone preferential treatment based on their race was the very definition of racism, yet it's considered ok depending on which race you happen to be.

And what cases have there been that the white person was more qualified than the black person who wasn't?

That's the biggest myth about AA. Companies that hire unqualified minorities over white people who were.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Actually, this is pretty much what happened. When you start talking about things such as white flight, gerrymandered districts, etc. You grew up in Detroit right? When the population started to become more diverse, what happened?

And what cases have there been that the white person was more qualified than the black person who wasn't?

That's the biggest myth about AA. Companies that hire unqualified minorities over white people who were.

You mean when the crime rate went thru the roof, what happened right ?

TM and M Brown, where unarmed young black men minding their own business they were executed for being black.

Pay attention

Remind me what TM was doing when he was being stalked by a grown man?

And we still don't know what happened with M Brown. Didn't you say we should wait until all the evidence comes to light?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

They elected a corrupt criminal balck mayor that blamed all the city's problems on racism. They instituted bussing where kids had to ride a bus to school miles away from where they live in the name of racial harmony. They watched their property values go in to the toilet because of all that. What would you do? Would you hang around? Those are the simple facts. Now look at the place. It's a real shining beacon of racial harmony. Unfortunately, hardly anyone lives there now. I'd call that a failure.

Edited by Karee

You mean when the crime rate went thru the roof, what happened right ?

Yeah, but that had nothing to do with white flight or urban decay now would it?

Urban decay is the sociological process whereby a city, or part of a city, falls into disrepair and decrepitude. Its characteristics are depopulation, economic restructuring, abandoned buildings, high local unemployment (and thus poverty),fragmented families, political disenfranchisement, crime, and a desolate, inhospitable city landscape. White flight contributed to the draining of cities' tax bases when middle-class people left. Abandoned properties attracted criminals and street gangs, contributing to crime.

Any more questions?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

I guess all these stories I hear about white people with high test scores being overlooked for minorities with lower test scores are made up? Same with university admissions.