foofighter38

K-1 visa flowchart

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

my fiance arrived in the United States last Tuesday so I decided I would look at the k1 visa flow chart.I noticed it showed that I should get a Social Security card for her as soon as possible but people are telling me that the Social Security Department wont even talk to us until we get a green card. I guess I'm just wondering what the process is now if the flowchart is incorrect.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I was able to get a SSN with just my J1 visa, there's some paper online you need to fill out and then bring passport to their office. I had my SSN within 2weeks :)

Get her I-94 form from here

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html;jsessionid=J2nQJhKNVWDLJT1w66M2f2f2SZJdKbyJ17Q3x3n9Dpyssk2wnb9j!2005623825

She'll only need that and her passport and a form she'll fill out at the SSA office. I submitted a request for a SSN within two weeks of arriving to the US and then waited for it for less than a week.

Good luck!

Edited by PerditaD
Spoiler

My AOS journey

Date Filed : 2014-11-26

NOA Date : 2014-12-06

RFE: 2014-12-26 (Translation of my international BC)

Bio. Appt. : 2014-12-31

RFE response received by USCIS: 2015-01-06

EAD/AP approved: 2015-02-18

NPIW letter: 2015-03-17

Service request: 2015-09-17

Response to service request: None

Service request 2: 2015-10-23

Service request 2 response: 2015-11-03 - USCIS anticipates a delay

EAD/AP renewal forms sent: 2015-11-04

Letter to Congressman sent: 2015-11-06

EAD/AP renewal electronic NOA1: 2015-11-10 (saying USCIS received and accepted my applications on 2015-11-06)

Email from Congressman's office - reviewing my case, will contact me with info: 2015-11-13

Received No Biometrics Required letter: 2015-11-20

Received letter of continuance asking for another translation of my BC (long story): 2015-11-20 (online status never changed)

Responded to letter of continuance: 2015-11-30

USCIS/DHS in Sacramento received my response (delivery confirmation): 2015-12.01

Received interview letter from Chatsworth office, CA: 2016-01-30

Received response from my congressman: 2016-02.02

AOS interview: 2016-02-10 Result:: RFE for medical

Medical done: 02/20/2016 - 03/03/2016

Medical Received By USCIS (UPS delivery confirmation): 2016-03-08

AOS approval date/Resident since: 2016-03-12

Card received: 2016-03-18

AOS took 15 months, 2 weeks and one day.

ROC:

Petition sent: 2018 - 02 - 22

Petition received by USCIS Laguna Niguel: 2018 - 02 - 23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

We got my husband's SSN about 2 weeks after we got married and about a month before we applied for AOS. You need as least her passport, I-94, and your marriage certificate along with the proper forms.

Edited by jenny8

my fiance arrived in the United States last Tuesday so I decided I would look at the k1 visa flow chart.I noticed it showed that I should get a Social Security card for her as soon as possible but people are telling me that the Social Security Department wont even talk to us until we get a green card. I guess I'm just wondering what the process is now if the flowchart is incorrect.

Your fiancé is eligible for a SSN. You can go now to the SSA office and get her the number.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I would recommend you wait 2-3 weeks to get the SSN as their electronic systems take some time to get the immigration files. But like everyone else said, kist the I-94 and their passport at your local SSA office is all you need. Once you're at the desk, takes about a half hour.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Timeline

I am K1 visa and I got my SSN yesterday by mail. You must get SSN 2 weeks of your arrival if you are k1 visa. When I got my SSN the girl who interviewed me says she glad I came getting my SSN before marriage cos everybody for k1 visa get SSN after marriage which is wrong cos its FIANCEE VISA you have to get SSN BEFORE MARRIAGE. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I am K1 visa and I got my SSN yesterday by mail. You must get SSN 2 weeks of your arrival if you are k1 visa. When I got my SSN the girl who interviewed me says she glad I came getting my SSN before marriage cos everybody for k1 visa get SSN after marriage which is wrong cos its FIANCEE VISA you have to get SSN BEFORE MARRIAGE. Good luck!

Depends on if you're changing your last name.

My fiance (now husband) wasn't changing his last name and got his after our marriage.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Timeline

Ohh really. Cos we follow the flow chart which is right thing to do. Then after our wedding I'll go back to SS office to change my last name. Well, I think way better to get SSN before marriage :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

No, those people are wrong....but if you wait too long to near the expiration of the I-94 visa then they'll have to wait for the CG.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You can get the SSN anytime before your I-94 has only 2 weeks validity left. Since the I-94 became automated/electronic, people have found that waiting 2 weeks after arrival has not been needed. Some have been able to get the SSN within days of entry with the K-1. If you wait until you only have 2 weeks or less on your I-94, then you will need to wait until you file for AOS and get your EAD in order to get the SSN.

Married yet or not, it is recommended to file for the SSN in your maiden name instead of bringing the marriage certificate and trying to get it in the married name. A lot of SSA workers don't understand the rules of their own job, so they tend give out misinformation and do things wrong a lot.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Social Security Numbers - topic about SSN~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

I'm not sure how it is in your local SSA office, but I arrived in LAX on a Thursday and got my SSN the following Tuesday (because Monday was a holiday). I just brought my passport with the K-1 visa and a printout of my I-94.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

which people are these?

That's great, sounds like the people I was listening to may have misinformation.

who are these people, and can they be fought against, overcome, with foo, soonish?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

"BUY ALL MEANS, GET A SS CARD AS SOON AS YOU UN-PACK"..,.,.,. do not make the mistake me and my now wife made, we waited until after the marriage, and her name was changed.,.,.,.,.there was no such name in the system under the I-94.,.,.,it took weeks to get straight.,.,.

Get the ss card asap.,.,.,then after marriage, before 17 days of your I-94 expiring go to ss office and get the name change.,.,.,.,.,changing the name is easy.,.,.,getting a ss card for a person not in the I-94 data base is pure hell!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.