hagoyz

I-134 is hard....

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Modern women do not expect to be supported.

That is irrelevant. A K-1 fiance won't be able to work until completing an Employment Authorization, which could take three months or so. That's time when the petitioner will need to provide support. It has nothing to do with girl-power mentality.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

The spouse will not be able to work for at least 6 months upon arrival in the U.S.

Well damn. Someone better go tell my husband to get home from work, since he hasn't been in the US for six months. :rolleyes:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

That is irrelevant. A K-1 fiance won't be able to work until completing an Employment Authorization, which could take three months or so. That's time when the petitioner will need to provide support. It has nothing to do with girl-power mentality.

Fyi, as a "modern" woman, i brought savings equalling more than my husband's annual salary with me whem i immigrated. It was more like i supported him during those 3 months :lol:

I agree the OP's best options are either to get a second job to meet the poverty guidelines or pursue the spousal visa route instead where cosponsors have to be accepted.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

True, but the USCIS and consular officer have not been updated with this info yet :)

SEP-1994 First met! 12-16-14 POE PHILADELPHIA

05-25-14 Engaged (what took us so looooong!!!?) 12-19-14 MARRIAGE (SIMPLE)

06-19-14 I-129F packet sent to Lewisville Lockbox (USPS overnight) 01-05-15 I-485 (AOS/EAD/AP) package mailed out

06-20-14 USPS messed up, and had to re-route! 01-12-15 NOA text/email received for AOS/EAD/AP

06-23-14 I-129F packet received at Lockbox 02-03-15 Biometrics (Indianapolis)

06-23-14 NOA1 Notice Date (routed to CSC, yay!) 04-07-15 EAD and AP approved, card ordered

06-25-14 NOA1 text/email received 04-14-15 EAD/AP Combo Card received by certified mail.

06-26-14 Check Cashed 06-15-15 Received letter about interview waiver. 6mo to go!

06-27-14 Alien Registration Number changed 08-06-15 Welcome Notice mailed, permanent status registered.

06-30-14 NOA1 hardcopy received 08-14-15 Green Card mailed to me.

09-24-14 NOA2 text/email received *APPROVED* 08-18-15 Green Card (which is green!) in hand!!

09-28-14 NOA2 hardcopy received

10-15-14 NVC received 05-17-17 Time to start ROC !

10-16-14 NVC case number assigned

10-21-14 NVC left (to Amsterdam Consulate)

10-23-14 Consulate Received

10-25-14 PACKET-3 Received (regular mail)

10-25-14 Online DS-160 submitted **** I am the Beneficiary (Fred) ****

10-27-14 Sent reply to Consulate (arrives 10-28)

10-29-14 Touched *** If you have questions about the K-1 journey coming

11-01-14 PACKET-4 Received (regular mail) *** from The Netherlands, send me a message !

11-26-14 MEDICAL *PASSED*

12-04-14 INTERVIEW *APPROVED*

12-06-14 Touched (Administrative Processing)

12-08-14 Touched (Ready)

12-09-14 Touched (Issued)

12-10-14 Received email that package was sent off

12-11-14 VISA IN HAND

Timeline

Fyi, as a "modern" woman, i brought savings equalling more than my husband's annual salary with me whem i immigrated. It was more like i supported him during those 3 months :lol:

I agree the OP's best options are either to get a second job to meet the poverty guidelines or pursue the spousal visa route instead where cosponsors have to be accepted.

That's nice for you as a couple, but it's still irrelevant. First, not every fiancé is a woman. Second, the alien fiancé is not the petitioner. The US government looks at the ability of the petitioner to provide support - male or female. Co-sponsors can help, your finances can help, but it has nothing to do at all with a woman being modern or not.

Lee & William

8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That's nice for you as a couple, but it's still irrelevant. First, not every fiancé is a woman. Second, the alien fiancé is not the petitioner. The US government looks at the ability of the petitioner to provide support - male or female. Co-sponsors can help, your finances can help, but it has nothing to do at all with a woman being modern or not.

I self sponsored.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Boiler, you need a reality check.

The spouse will not be able to work for at least 6 months upon arrival in the U.S. With that and along with all the other expenses that a new spouse will generate, your beans better be in order.

I hate seeing couples trying to build a marriage on 30,000.00 USD petitioner salary.

Are you serious? I make way more than that and there are times where it is tough for me and my non-working wife.

Wow, 30,000.00 for a couple that's already a lot of money if you know how to manage it. We are only getting less than $50,000.00 a year but within 2 years since I got here we got our own house, a 2013 suv, and all the things you would wanna ask you can find it in our house and we are a member of 5 will become 6 cause my other son will soon be arriving from the Philippines. And for the fact that we need to pay our greencard here for both me and my son and petitioning my other son it really needs a lot of $$$$$.. and we still able to had a vacation for a week outside the state every summer. As long as you live the life on what you can afford and debt-free you are fine but if you live like a king spending money that you don't need you will be in trouble. Set your priority and be responsible handling your money. We started from scratch when i got here my husband is living with his parents too when we moved out the only thing we got is his bed and his computer, lol , but we're a good teamwork .

I am not bragging but I just wanna inspire the OP , go get a job where you can be able to get your fiance and when she get here maybe she can help you. I only work part time but still it counts . Don't be discourage let the situation be your guide on how to make it better. Every situation is different it depends on how you handles it. Before making a decision always ask God's blessings first and you will be fine. God bless you in your journey.

K-1 VISA APPLICATION

June 13, 2011 - Application send to USCIS thru Fedex

June 17, 2011 - I-129F Packet received by USCIS Signed for by: JCATES

June 22, 2011 - NOA1 (via email)

Oct. 12, 2011 - NOA2 (on USCIS website)

Nov. 28, 2011 - VISA APPROVED . Thank you Lord!!!

For more Info: Please look at my timeline...

Right but there's that whole AOS period where your beneficiary cannot legally work in the US... Just saying... Delays in EAD/AOS can happen, getting a job could take a while, etc. It's always good to be prepared.

This modern woman will be supporting her beneficiary husband in the EAD/AOS waiting period.

Edited by lizascissors

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Right but there's that whole AOS period where your beneficiary cannot legally work in the US... Just saying... Delays in EAD/AOS can happen, getting a job could take a while, etc. It's always good to be prepared.

This modern woman will be supporting her beneficiary husband in the EAD/AOS waiting period.

Or he could have saved up for such an eventuality.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Or he could have saved up for such an eventuality.

Right... but there are certain incidentals that come up.... or maybe USCIS decides to take a year to issue EAD's from here on out... or whatever possible worst case scenario that comes up - beneficiary becomes too ill to work, whatever.

Saving up = best idea

Saved money lasting through EAD/AOS issuance - not always possible - crazy stuff happens.

It's a good idea to be prepared.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Or there are external factors that determine when moving has to happen, regardless of intent or ability to save, or or or... lots of things.

If following traditional gender roles regarding money and who is the breadwinner is important to someone, great. It's completely not at all important to other people, and snarkiness or "should have done what I did" ain't necessary to those who are a bit more inclined towards equality and away from sexist holdovers from women (sans lower class) were not allowed to work outside the home in America.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

To the op... Options are to get additional source of income (another job) or marry and file CR1 as they will have to accept co-sponsors... Good luck

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Wow, 30,000.00 for a couple that's already a lot of money if you know how to manage it. We are only getting less than $50,000.00 a year but within 2 years since I got here we got our own house, a 2013 suv, and all the things you would wanna ask you can find it in our house and we are a member of 5 will become 6 cause my other son will soon be arriving from the Philippines. And for the fact that we need to pay our greencard here for both me and my son and petitioning my other son it really needs a lot of $$$$$.. and we still able to had a vacation for a week outside the state every summer. As long as you live the life on what you can afford and debt-free you are fine but if you live like a king spending money that you don't need you will be in trouble. Set your priority and be responsible handling your money. We started from scratch when i got here my husband is living with his parents too when we moved out the only thing we got is his bed and his computer, lol , but we're a good teamwork .

Location is everything. $30K in some parts of the country is indeed fine. $30K for a couple in NYC, Boston, DC,SF, Seattle, LA? Definitely not a lot of money even for the most frugal people out there. Do-able perhaps, but not easy.

I agree with altonbebe, especially since the OP lives in a semi-pricey area of CA.

OP- is there a reason for the rush? And any chance of getting a higher paying job? Or as others have suggested, a 2nd job?

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline

Technically, no fiancé is a woman.

Tell that to the US government. Whatever anyone else thinks, it's the government's position that matters.

Lee & William

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.