wbeem

Worker May Lose His Visa Because He Can't Flip a Pizza

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

http://bostonherald.com/entertainment/food_dining/dining_news/2014/08/lack_of_pizza_showmanship_is_at_issue_in_visa_case

According to the article linked above, an immigrant worker may lose his visa because he doesn't comply with the criteria used to grant it. The visa claimed "Showmanship" as a skill, but the worker doesn't flip his pizza in the air when he makes it. Now after 20 years in the USA, he may be sent home on a technicality.

Just thought I'd pass this along. Make sure you do what you claim on your forms.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My guess he has been out of status that long and is seeking to adjust through a petition filed back then by his Employer at the time of the last Amnesty.

Nothing much else males sense.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I thought it was odd to be there so long without establishing citizenship, but I guess different folks have their own way. However, it shows that you never know when a technicality could up-end your whole life.

Lee & William

8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Timeline

I thought it was odd to be there so long without establishing citizenship, but I guess different folks have their own way. However, it shows that you never know when a technicality could up-end your whole life.

That is one way of describing 20 years of illegal presence.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

If he's been here that long on a H visa, he should be eligible for a greencard already.

Based on what ? No length of stay of temporary work visa allows anybody to apply for green card.

Timeline

Nor is it possible to stay that long on such a visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

If he is here on a H1B visa he could apply for a greencard after 5 years.

Don't know where you got it from but it is completely untrue. Again - no length of stay that allows you to apply for a green card.

Timeline

How would Pizza fit into the H1b requirements?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Why doesn't he just practice and learn to flip the pizza?

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If he is here on a H1B visa he could apply for a greencard after 5 years.

Can you send me the official link where you got this info? This is completely incorrect.

I think you're confusing applying for a greencard yourself (which is impossible) with the time it takes for a visa number to become available for a person whose employer files a I-140 petition. It takes 3-6 years for a number to become available (longer for certain nationalities) and then they can apply for I-485 and adjust status. But you can never obtain a greencard just for being on H1B. Not for one year, five years, or a hundred years.

Timeline

Why doesn't he just practice and learn to flip the pizza?

Best answer!

That is one way of describing 20 years of illegal presence.

Least relevant answer!

Lee & William

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Can you send me the official link where you got this info? This is completely incorrect.

I think you're confusing applying for a greencard yourself (which is impossible) with the time it takes for a visa number to become available for a person whose employer files a I-140 petition. It takes 3-6 years for a number to become available (longer for certain nationalities) and then they can apply for I-485 and adjust status. But you can never obtain a greencard just for being on H1B. Not for one year, five years, or a hundred years.

We're talking about the same thing... Thanks for the clarification. :thumbs:

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.