shell20

Lawyers, confusion and arguments.

68 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

To be honest I don't know why many people pay for attorneys. Unless the case is very complicated or deportation is involved just do the filing yourself. I see too many people who have attorneys are getting checklists, RFE, paperwork missing,etc when this should not be happening when you are paying good money.

OP, sorry for what you're going through, it sounds awfully stressful.

VJ-ers, out of interest (and for the sake of others reading this thread in future), are you basically saying that even if Pennsylvania (or some hypothetical state) has unique rules about needing to go to the courthouse to change your name (i.e. rather than it being 'automatic' on marriage), that is irrelevant for USCIS' purposes?

I don't know *anything* about name-changes in the US. I did mine in my home-country, where it's not automatic on marriage but needs to be registered with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages - my understanding (again, I could be wrong) was that if I didn't do that 'extra step', then marriage alone didn't have any effect on my name change. If Pennsylvania follows a similar system, is the consensus on the forum that that is irrelevant for federal purposes? (FWIW:

Assuming that's indeed the case, it sounds like these lawyers are pretty darn dodgy and again, very sorry OP that you're going through this. I agree with the suggestion of contacting the state bar re. the incorrect advice and lack of professionalism (not to mention them tying you into an AOS contract in the fine print of your K1 contract!). Good luck!

I read on, "wiki how/", or something similar, how to change your name. It said simply inform the Social Security office and driving licence centre etc Which I have done. If the government have agreed to my married name on the social security card then surely they would expect that name on my AOS form. I told my lawyer that and she said immigration was different, different in what way, it is still the government, but then again, she said I wasn't entitled to a social security number with my K1 visa and I know that is BS.

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

Most if not all US states use the marriage certificate as a legal name change for the spouse (some are limited to wife). When you become married you can chose to use either your maiden name or your married name. BUT you have to be consistent, you can't change some of the documents and not others....it is all or nothing. I have never heard of a newly-wed wife having to obtain a legal name change through court procedures in the US.

As a side note when you divorce they ask if you would like to revert to your maiden name or keep the married name (at least they did me) but never when you marry.

Without our lawyers help ,I have successfully opened a bank account, obtained a social security number, have health insurance and a learners drviing permit, all in my married name. I'm afraid they don't seem to know their back from their front and that is putting it politely.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Please post the name of the firm and their location. Thanks

Thanks for you kind words, not ignoring you but I am feeling dizzy and sick now. They have stressed me out way too much!!

I am SO going to sack them and report them to the bar.

" (USCIS office specifically) takes a different approach then the state of Pennsylvania."

The very fact that they used "then" instead of "than" tells me they're idiots! ;) (English teacher hat off) You can absolutely sign in your married name. The certified copy of your marriage license shows the transition from maiden to married name. They need to be fired. AND you should try to get a refund. Your husband's email was definitely the more professional of the two.

My sentiments exactly!

I had to read that sentence a few times XD. "Then" relates to time, "than" introduces a comparison.

:ranting:

Complete: AOS
Married 06/12/2014
08/02/14: Concurrent filing of i130, i485 and i765.

07/20/15: Green card received!! 

Complete: ROC

Package Mailed: 05/11/17

Received: 05/12/17

Money Order cashed: 05/12/17

NOA Received: 05/22/17

Biometrics Notice (dated): 5/20/17

Appt date: 06/05/17 (complete)

Approval notice: 9/11/2018 (received 9/15/2018)

Card received: 9/18/2018

😍02/05/19: Welcomed baby girl into our family 😍

Current: Naturalization

03/13/2019 - submitted online N400 and paid fee

03/26/2019 - received biometrics notice scheduled for 4/5

04/05/2019 - completed biometrics

10/12/2019 - received interview noticed scheduled for 11/16

11/16/2019 - interview

11/21/2019 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Please post the name of the firm and their location. Thanks

I can't do that, for obvious reasons but I would love too!

To be honest I don't know why many people pay for attorneys. Unless the case is very complicated or deportation is involved just do the filing yourself. I see too many people who have attorneys are getting checklists, RFE, paperwork missing,etc when this should not be happening when you are paying good money.

We did not intend to hire one, but we had originally planned on marrying in Miami and then for myself to return to England and fill in the paperwork, but we read conflicting information online. So we asked for some free advice and we were told do NOT under any circumstance get married otherwise you will be committing visa fraud. So my husband decided to hire them, so nothing would go wrong and unfortunately it all went pear shape and continues to do so.

Fire them...Money is gone...Consider it sunk cost and move at your speed instead of theirs!

By the way...I was threatened by a lawyer about slander after I posted a review of them...Make sure you use words like "in my opinion..." or "I feel...". It saved my butt. Also read your contract with them closely!

Finished!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

OMG. Seriously this is suppose to be professionals that suppose to know more than us about all this and they speak like that. Oh Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Naw.

I am reading this and I need a drink and a gallon of ice cream. (Dang maybe some crack and heroin). I have never in life seen something like this. I would love to meet old girl (the lawyer) in the parking lot. :ph34r: Tell her Dwheels76 wants to say hey. hehe

Sorry Shell20 this is so not funny or fun and I know calling your hubby names makes me want to box her eyes out. They stupid you know more than the lawyer count it all joy. We are here with Bug hugs (and alcohol and ice cream). (L)(F)

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

:ranting: IDIOTS! I am so sorry this has happened! Sack them, report them immediately! :angry:

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

... obvious reasons? ... what might those be? .... as long as you have stated the facts truthfully, then there are no reasons why you could not make this information public and maybe save somebody else from signing up with this firm. Simple as that ...

I can't do that, for obvious reasons but I would love too!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I did my AOS in my married name and there is no problem. Your lawyers doesn't know what they are saying. I did my papers on my own. my thoughts to you is to take your time a do your papers because these lawyers are all about the money.

Good Luck

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi everyone,

This is going from bad to worse. When I first got married I applied for a Social Security number in my married name . We are now trying to do AOS with our lawyers but they are telling us we cant sign the forms in my married name as USCIS wont accept it. My bank account, SS, medical card and everything is in that name. My husband today wrote them a stern email and they came back to me saying his immature, how they are surprised he holds down a job and that they will drop our case if he doesn't apologise. I don't want him to apologise, I want them to drop us and do the forms ourselves, but my husband is asking will that affect our application. Time is running out we only have days to apply, so please, please any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sack the lawyer.

Report her unprofessional and incompetent conduct to the local and state bar associations.

Any competent attorney will tell you that you can sign with your married name.

Idiot.

I would fire them immediately. You seem like you would do a much better job that these idiots who supposedly went to school and honed their skills in immigration law.

----

6/12/2016 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions

----

ROC

Spoiler

6/20/2016 (Day 0) - ROC Package (i-761) sent via USPS Priority Mail

6/21/2016 (Day 1) - ROC Package delivered at CSC Laguna Niguel & signed for by J Siplivy

6/28/2016 (Day 8) - Check cashed and NOA dated 6/21/2016 received in the mail

7/18/2016 (Day 28) - Biometrics appointment done at Santa Ana ASC

2/28/2017 (Day 254) - Spouse received call from immigration officer verifying if we still lived together at our current address. He ended the conversation by saying we our approved and no need for interview

3/3/2017 (Day 257) - Received approval letter in the mail! 

3/13/2017 (Day 267) - Online status updated - new card being produced

3/16/2017 (Day 270) - Online status updated - new card was mailed to me

3/20/2017 (Day 274) - 10 year green card on hand!! 

----

6/12/2017 - Eligible for Citizenship

----

N-400

6/13/2017 - N-400 package sent via USPS Priority Mail Express

6/16/2017 - N-400 fee cashed

6/19/2017 - NOA date - Priority date 6/15/17

6/30/2017 - Received biometrics appointment letter in the mail for 7/12/17

7/5/2017 - Walked in Tustin ASC for biometrics 

8/10/2017 - Case is in line for interview

1/22/2018 - N-400 interview date scheduled 

1/26/2018 - Received N-400 interview letter in the mail! Interview scheduled on Feb. 28 

2/28/2018 - Naturalization interview - recommended for approval! :)

3/20/2018 - Oath taking ceremony :dance:

I would fire them immediately. You seem like you would do a much better job that these idiots who supposedly went to school and honed their skills in immigration law.

----

6/12/2016 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions

----

ROC

Spoiler

6/20/2016 (Day 0) - ROC Package (i-761) sent via USPS Priority Mail

6/21/2016 (Day 1) - ROC Package delivered at CSC Laguna Niguel & signed for by J Siplivy

6/28/2016 (Day 8) - Check cashed and NOA dated 6/21/2016 received in the mail

7/18/2016 (Day 28) - Biometrics appointment done at Santa Ana ASC

2/28/2017 (Day 254) - Spouse received call from immigration officer verifying if we still lived together at our current address. He ended the conversation by saying we our approved and no need for interview

3/3/2017 (Day 257) - Received approval letter in the mail! 

3/13/2017 (Day 267) - Online status updated - new card being produced

3/16/2017 (Day 270) - Online status updated - new card was mailed to me

3/20/2017 (Day 274) - 10 year green card on hand!! 

----

6/12/2017 - Eligible for Citizenship

----

N-400

6/13/2017 - N-400 package sent via USPS Priority Mail Express

6/16/2017 - N-400 fee cashed

6/19/2017 - NOA date - Priority date 6/15/17

6/30/2017 - Received biometrics appointment letter in the mail for 7/12/17

7/5/2017 - Walked in Tustin ASC for biometrics 

8/10/2017 - Case is in line for interview

1/22/2018 - N-400 interview date scheduled 

1/26/2018 - Received N-400 interview letter in the mail! Interview scheduled on Feb. 28 

2/28/2018 - Naturalization interview - recommended for approval! :)

3/20/2018 - Oath taking ceremony :dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.