jhonster

The truth behind the i130 hold ups at USCIS (what they wont tell you)

23 posts in this topic

From the article: "The law prohibits foreigners who want to become residents from entering as tourists while their documents are in process."

You would think they could at least fact check before printing.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Ok. Update on the SLOW processing for TSC (Texas Service Center). Hopefully this means there might be some movement with these people at USCIS. It's so unfair what they've done to i130 filers these past 16 months or so. And no apology, no nothing. But here is the letter that seemed to spark some movement with the politicians that are charged in making USCIS work for us. I faxed this letter to each and everyone who is on the Homeland Security Congressional oversight committee. To both of my Senators and my Congressman's office. My congressman's office wasn't really doing anything for me, but when they caught wind that I sent a fax or email to anybody that would listen to me....I got an email lickty split from my Congressman's office finally.

Why? Because this would make the current administration look bad (and I'm an Obama supporter for the most part....not on everything though) because it was his program (DACA "Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals") that caused the back up with i130's. And magically....when I called USCIS today and spoke with a level 2 agent/supervisor, they said they can see my file is now currently with an adjudicator. Wow! And all this time (since last November) they couldn't make up their mind if my file was under a "security check", or if it needed "additional processing" (aka bullcrap). How could it have been under a "security check" if the file wasn't even with an adjudicator? Hmmmmm.........rolleyes.gif

I think I've learned a lesson from all this though. The ONLY way you'll be able to make either a politician or govt worker do his or her job properly is to go to their bosses. And since politicians really don't have bosses, they fear bad publicity. Especially when you can make it on a grand scale. Like this....

www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/us/program-benefiting-some-immigrants-extends-visa-wait-for-others.html?hp&_r=1

So. USCIS moves when you get an EFFECTIVE politician to inquire on your behalf (key word effective) and/or the Ombudsman. Here's the link to the USCIS Ombudsman online complaint form.

https://cisomb.dhs.gov/oca/form7001.aspx

And if getting your Congressperson or Senator involved doesn't work....send a fax to the ranking people on the Homeland Securities Oversight Committees. You can get each and every one of their fax numbers here. Just click on their names or pictures.

http://homeland.house.gov/about/membership

And if you want the press to listen in...just send an email to the nice lady who wrote the New York Times article (Julia Preston) on the i130 delays. She would want to hear your horror stories for a follow up story. Send her an email here. Just go down to the bottom of her bio and click on "Email Julia Preston" and include her name in your message.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/p/julia_preston/index.html?action=click&contentCollection=U.S.&module=Byline&region=Header&pgtype=article

Anyway....here's the letter I faxed all over the country today. Feel free to do the same.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

From the article: "The law prohibits foreigners who want to become residents from entering as tourists while their documents are in process."

You would think they could at least fact check before printing.

Yeah. Not sure how she figured that one out.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

IMO, the whole thing was a cluster_f.....

back in the day, sept/oct/nov 2012, I wrote a lot about this DACA stuff , especially in the OCT 2012 I-130 filers topic.

I did make a timeline of the silliness that happened with us, you can see it in my profile.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

IMO, the whole thing was a cluster_f.....

back in the day, sept/oct/nov 2012, I wrote a lot about this DACA stuff , especially in the OCT 2012 I-130 filers topic.

I did make a timeline of the silliness that happened with us, you can see it in my profile.

Wow. I just took a look. You're being very kind using the word "silliness". These people outta be hung out to dry!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Believe me, I was tempted daily to fire off a fax-blast to all 535 members o congress (I had the gear then, all zip through in under 2 hours) , for about 3 months .... It was a daily temptation, I drafted over 100 different versions of the same letter, documenting what's going on.

In the end, I gave up on sending it, sold my company in Irving, and scampered south. I felt lucky that we got out of USCIS - I think I might have helped train up some ISOs on how service requests got mismanaged for 2 quarters.

But I digress - I'm super proud o you for sending this out... F DACA <EOM>

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Well put. And props for actually going through and sending this out instead of sitting idle and complaining but doing nothing. Hopefully more will follow suit and raise some hell. USCIS is nothing more than a bunch of lying shitbags. And the bad part is they get paid to do it!

Im glad you wrote this. Im just starting in this process and it feels like it has been months. I realky wonder if any of the USCIS employees have been in this situation and how long they had to wait. "Do unto others as you would like them to do to you"

Filed: Timeline

Put the blame where it rightly belongs: Obama, and his executive order forcing DACA on the American people, even though Congress had roundly rejected identical legislation numerous times. He's power-drunk and not awfully interested in the will of the people. ranting33va.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It angers me greatly to sit in a queue behind illegals when we are law abiding citizens. I'm honestly afraid to officially complain as my fear is it could cause more delays with my petition.

08-20-2011 Married

Work Visa

03-04-2012 Obtained L1-B Visa at Champlain, NY POE

Green Card

(Day 0) 03-13-2014 Mailed AOS package to Chicago Lock box

(Day 29) 04-11-2014 Bio-metrics appointment letter received (appointment 05/02/2014)

(Day 29) 04-11-2014 Successful Bio-metrics walk-in @ West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 53) 05-05-2014 Received hard copy of Interview Letter.

(Day 82) 06-03-2014 Day of AOS interview, Approved on the spot, given an approval letter.

(Day 89) 06-09-2014 Green Card in hand delivered after only 89 days.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Citizenship

(Day 0) 03-19-2018 N-400 Application Submitted Online

(Day 21) 04-09-2018 Bio-metrics Appointment @ West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 77) 06-04-2018 Received Interview Letter

(Day 114) Naturalization Interview - Approved on the spot @West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 116) Naturalization Oath Ceremony @ West Palm Beach, FL

________________________________________________________________________________________

Passport

(Day 0) 07-20-2018 Applied for passport (Non-Expedited) @ Clerk of Country, Port St Lucie Florida

(Day 17) 08-06-2018 Passport Received

I am a CR-1 filer from a border state and I have no problem with DACA. I am not sitting here grinding my teeth because "illegals" (don't like that term) are ahead of me in line. These people came to the U.S. as children under the age of 16. How many of them actually had a say in the matter?

What does makes me grind my teeth is that the government did not prepare for the sheer amount of petitions they'd have to process. Maybe they honestly couldn't predict how many would roll in, but more likely, they simply didn't have the time or the budget to prepare. There haven't been enough people working on these cases. That is what is wrong here.

As someone already said, the backlog is subsiding. It's too little too late for many, but at least they are doing something. The media attention surely didn't hurt. The OP is being proactive, which is awesome, and a great example for us all.

USCIS (Priority date April 1, Approval April 17, no RFEs)

March 28, 2014: I-130 sent via FedEx from Bogotá to Chicago Lockbox

April 1, 2014: Delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 10:29 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by J. CHYBA (date confirmed by My Case Status)

April 4, 2014: NOA1 e-mail received at 12:17 a.m.; case accepted and routed to CSC for processing. Check cashed.

April 17, 2014: Changed mailing address with USCIS Tier 2 representative. He also confirmed that our case had arrived to the CSC and that our NOA1 date is April 3.

April 18, 2014: NOA2 e-mail received at 12:30 a.m. Case status online changed to post-decision activity; date of "last updated" changed to April 17. Change of address e-mail received at 3 a.m. Status changed back to initial review on e-mail and online. Date of "last updated" now April 18. Called and spoke to two Tier 2 reps; both were useless.

April 21, 2014: Approval confirmed verbally by Tier 2 rep. Order put in to send second NOA2 hard copy to new address. Instructed to ignore online case status.

April 25 or 26, 2014: NOA1 hard copy arrives to old apartment in Bogotá. Priority date actually April 1. (April 3 was the notice date.)

May 16: USCIS change of address e-mail received

May 19: USCIS e-mail received saying a duplicate notice was mailed on this date. Case status now set to "Acceptance."

May 22: NOA2 duplicate hard copy arrives to U.S. address

NVC

April 29, 2014: Case received

​May 22, 2014: Case number and IIN assigned. Asked operator about our move from Colombia to Argentina and received instructions.

May 24, 2014: E-mails about embassy change/address change sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov at 4:36 p.m. NVC time

​June 3, 2014: Payment portal message "This case is in the process of termination" appears. DS-261 appears, submitted. E-mails received from NVC concerning case number and AOS bill.

June 4, 2014: AOS payment invoiced, paid; DS-261 received by NVC

June 6, 2014: AOS payment shows as PAID in payment portal

June 17, 2014: Response received from nvcinquiry@state.gov. "The correspondence submitted is currently under review. An appropriate action will be taken once this review is completed."

June 24, 2014: AOS package sent via FedEx overnight shipping from Houston to NVC

June 25, 2014: AOS package delivered at 9:43 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by F.FNU

July 1, 2014: AOS package scanned

July 18, 2014: Checked payment portal and saw: "CASE NUMBER CHANGE: The applicant's case number, [bGT#], has been changed to [bNS#]." Called and confirmed. Also said today marked 30 business days since NVC received DS-261; operator said she would have that reviewed and make IV payment available ASAP.

August 5: E-mail sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov concerning changing our embassy BACK to Bogotá at 6:41 p.m. NVC time

August 6: IV invoice e-mail FINALLY received at 2:13 a.m. NVC time

August 7: IV payment made available on payment portal; paid

August 8: IV payment shows as PAID in payment portal; DS-260 becomes available

August 14: Checklist received; errors on sponsor's I-864 form and on joint sponsor's I-864A

August 15: DS-260 submitted

August 29: Checklist response and IV package sent via FedEx ground from Houston to NVC

September 4: Checklist response and IV package delivered at 11:21 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by GPETERS

September 8: Checklist response and IV package scanned

September 10: DS-260 accepted; false checklist received

September 17: E-mail response received from asknvc@state.gov (30 business days/43 calendar days later): Correspondence under review

September 26: Embassy change approved; new case number assigned

October 30: CASE COMPLETE

Embassy

Interview scheduled: Nov. 10 -- Medical: Nov. 25 -- Interview: Dec. 1, 9:30 a.m. APPROVED! -- Visa in hand: Dec. 5 -- POE: Dec. 29 in Houston

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

I petitioned for my wife and stepson to join me last June. At the current moment the paperwork is still being processed and are still currently on time but I got a letter this January stating that there was in fact a backlog and that in order to speed up the process for me, they were sending it to a local office in Nebraska. Just last night I got a text for a RFE (request for evidence). Not sure what more they can possibly want because I submitted almost everything but I will look into the matter. This by the way is 24 days before I am schedule to visit my wife again before she is to come and join me. And as they say "not to worry". I may be wrong but a lot of this backlog business has to do with the fact that there are lots of us citizens petitioning for loved ones which is understandable, the government shutdown last year played a role despite the fact they say USCIS was not affected and this new initiative DACA. Because this country has been so divided ordinary soil born US citizens like myself have to go through the bureaucracy. The system that is in place for US citizens is slowly deteriorating as we take on more and more of the burden. My assumption is that if the paper work is legit then something must be wrong. Its been a very teeth grinding experience and the system doesn't make things better.

Edited by JPatton

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

I petitioned for my wife and stepson to join me last June 2013. At the current moment the paperwork is still being processed and are still currently on time but I got a letter this January stating that there was in fact a backlog and that in order to speed up the process for me, they were sending it to a local office in Nebraska. Just last night I got a text for a RFE (request for evidence). Not sure what more they can possibly want because I submitted almost everything but I will look into the matter. This by the way is 24 days before I am scheduled to visit my wife again before she is to come and join me whenever that might be??. And as they say "not to worry" and I wont because alot of people had to submit more evidence so that's not really a big concern. My concern is and I may be wrong but a lot of this backlog business has to do with the fact that there are lots of us citizens petitioning for loved ones which is understandable, the government shutdown last year played a role despite the fact they say USCIS was not affected and this new initiative DACA. Because this country has been so divided ordinary soil born US citizens like myself have to go through the bureaucracy. The system that is in place for US citizens is slowly deteriorating as we take on more and more of the burdens of a failed immigration system to begin with. And by the way I am totally not one of those fanatics who are against immigrants when them themselves are a descendant of one because most of us are I know I am one. My assumption is that if the paper work is legit then something must be wrong. Its been a very teeth grinding experience and the system doesn't make things better.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.