11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi there,

My backstory is this -

My mother was born to a US Citizen who was in the Military and stationed in England where my Grandfather then met my Grandmother, my mother was born in an American Airbase in England and then moved over to the states until she was 7 years old where her parents then divorced, she met my father later on in life and had me on 2nd March 1986, she then divorced my father in 2004 and moved back to America in 2005 and remarried to an US citizen(my mother was still a US citizen as she never gave it up)

So my question is this.. i am an umarried son of 28 years old... am i eligble for a passport or a 7 year wait for a visa?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Did your mother ever become a US citizen?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

You'd need to write down exact years (and ages) when mother was in the US. It then depends when she had you as the laws have changed several times.

Montreal consulate has a good page on citizenship by birth with specific years and rules - check there:

http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/service/qualifying-for-u.s.-citizenship

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Were you born in the USA?

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

Filed: Timeline

Hi there,

My backstory is this -

My mother was born to a US Citizen who was in the Military and stationed in England where my Grandfather then met my Grandmother, my mother was born in an American Airbase in England and then moved over to the states until she was 7 years old where her parents then divorced, she met my father later on in life and had me on 2nd March 1986, she then divorced my father in 2004 and moved back to America in 2005 and remarried to an US citizen(my mother was still a US citizen as she never gave it up)

So my question is this.. i am an umarried son of 28 years old... am i eligble for a passport or a 7 year wait for a visa?

If I am reading this correctly -- that your US citizen mother was born outside the US, was taken to the US shortly after birth, but left the US at the age of 7 and did not return until 2005, and you are asking first about whether or not you are eligible for a US passport -- sorry, the answer is clearly NO. Your mother would have had to have lived in the US for 10 years, 2 of which were after she was 14, prior to your birth. She didn't meet either part of the requirement before you were born -- less than 10 years and none after she was 14.

As to the second part of the question, yes -- she can file a petition (I-130) for an immigrant F1 visa for you (unmarried son or daughter of a US citizen). The current wait time, as you indicate, is about 7 years, during which you must remain unmarried. IF you get married, it converts to an F3 and the wait is more than 10 years right now.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I was born in the UK.

I thought my mum being born in an American Airbase consistuted as U.S soil?

If i do happen to be on the waiting list for 7 years and i happen to find a job in America, what would happen to the application or would i be allowed to do so?

I found this doing a quick search

c. Birth on U.S. Military Base Outside of the United States or Birth on U.S.
Embassy or Consulate Premises Abroad:
(1) Despite widespread popular belief, U.S. military installations abroad and
U.S. diplomatic or consular facilities abroad are not part of the United
States within the meaning of the 14th Amendment. A child born on the
premises of such a facility is not born in the United States and does not
acquire U.S. citizenship by reason of birth.
Found it here
on page 5

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Filed: Timeline

I was born in the UK.

I thought my mum being born in an American Airbase consistuted as U.S soil?

If i do happen to be on the waiting list for 7 years and i happen to find a job in America, what would happen to the application or would i be allowed to do so?

That is not correct (re being born on US soil), but even if it were, where your mother was born is not really relevant to your questions, since you stated she is a US citizen. How she obtained that citizenship really doesn't matter. EVEN IF the US military base was considered US soil (which it is not), and she never left the base prior to going to the US, she still, at a maximum, had only about 7 years of physical presence in the US based on what you said -- and prior to your birth, none of that was after she turned 14. Your are not a US citizen, sorry.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Why does it matter if the military base is considered US soil or not? That is not what the law looks at.

The law allows the time that his mother spent as an unmarried minor child of a US military person stationed abroad to be counted for meeting the 5 years physical presence rule for passing US citizenship on to her children. (Nothing about military bases being US soil.)

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartH-Chapter3.html#S-A

3. Child of U.S. Citizen Parent and Foreign National Parent[8]

A child born outside of the United States and its outlying possessions acquires citizenship at birth if at the time of birth:

• One parent is a foreign national and the other parent is a U.S. citizen; and

• The U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States for at least 5 years, including at least 2 years after 14 years of age.

Time abroad counts as physical presence in the United States if the time abroad was:

• As a member of the U.S. armed forces in honorable status;

• Under the employment of the U.S. government or other qualifying organizations; or

• As a dependent unmarried son or daughter of such persons.

-----------

awilliams - you are not a US citizen. While your mother did spend 7 years living overseas while her father was stationed there, she does not meet the 2 of the 5 years has to be after age 14. Since she did not live in the US for 2 years after age 14 before your birth, you did not gain US citizenship at birth.

Your mother will need to file an I-130 for you. This will take 7 years for a visa. Sorry.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

...to be counted for meeting the 5 years physical presence rule for passing US citizenship on to her children

Since he was born before 11/14/1986, the old section of the law with a 10 year physical presence requirement applies to the OP.

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-child-born-abroad.html

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.