BigDaddy28

My brother was denied F1 Visa because of my citizenship help

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hello

I became a US citizen this February. My brother wanted to come to the US to pursue his education in the US. Let me give you a little background about my brother.

He applied for a visitors visa but he got denied when he was under 18. They told him you dont have enough ties to Tunisia. My father asked the consular about the meaning of the ties, they told him he didn't travel outside of my home country, if he does we will give him the visa.

My brother traveled to France and he came back. He applied again they denied him again and they told him you don't have enough ties. My father asked again, he has been told that my brother has to have a car, a house or a piece of land there. Now the question is how the heck will an 18 year old guy own a car, a house or a land in a country where 40 years old men can't find jobs? and he still didn't even finish school.

He applied this time for an F1 visa, he has been denied again. Now this is where it gets weird. They ask him if he is married, of course not. They tell him you are denied. My father goes and asks again and they tell him maybe because his brother became a citizen.

I feel like they are making us turn in circles and not telling us what we have to do to help him. I email the embassy to ask about the reasons and Im still waiting.

If anybody can help me figure out what I am missing, or suggest something that we didn't do I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

I felt like I got discriminated just because I became a citizen and I don't know what to do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Having a brother who is a US citizen works against him because the think he has immigrant intent. Why is he so intent on coming to the US, that is what they want to know.

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: Timeline

In fact, the embassy does not have to answer your questions....nor are they required to draw a road map on how to get a visa to any applicant. If the CO is not convinced that your brother will return to Tunisia after his studies, then his application will be (and was) denied...there is nothing you can do to alter their decision...no amount of hollering 'discrimination' will even draw a yawn...your brother does not have the right to study in the US...instead, it is a privilege.

As to the details of why he might have been refused, the COs are not required to share that information with you, no matter what you may think or believe to the contrary (here is where we often read in response about how your rights are being violated...which one(s) might they (those) be? In fact, under INA 222f, details about visa interviews, whether successful or not, cannot, by law, be shared except with certain law enforcement individuals, not relatives or friends of the applicant. For whatever the reason(s), your brother was unable to convince the CO that he would return to Tunisia after completion of his studies....and thus, under our laws, his application was denied.

In fact, you probably hit on one or more of the issues...you said that in Tunisia, 40 year old men cannot find jobs...the COs are more than aware of that fact, and so they are (likely) asking themselves...'what is your brother going to do upon returning...? sell tea on the street corners?'....if the Tunisian economy is sputtering, that fact does not support somebody returning to work when there is no meaningful work.

Whatever reasons they are giving him is some bull #######. You becoming a citizen has no bearing on your brother. And why in the heck did he tell them you are a citizen? If they asked then fine, he had to tell them. If they didn't ask, he didn't have to tell them. Besides F-1 is to attend school, so I believe as long as he got admitted to one and showed he had the finances to pay for it, he should have been good. Also I didn't know an applicants father or relatives could inquire from the consulate why their relative's visa was denied.

You talk you teach, you listen you learn

Hello

I became a US citizen this February. My brother wanted to come to the US to pursue his education in the US. Let me give you a little background about my brother.

He applied for a visitors visa but he got denied when he was under 18. They told him you dont have enough ties to Tunisia. My father asked the consular about the meaning of the ties, they told him he didn't travel outside of my home country, if he does we will give him the visa.

My brother traveled to France and he came back. He applied again they denied him again and they told him you don't have enough ties. My father asked again, he has been told that my brother has to have a car, a house or a piece of land there. Now the question is how the heck will an 18 year old guy own a car, a house or a land in a country where 40 years old men can't find jobs? and he still didn't even finish school.

He applied this time for an F1 visa, he has been denied again. Now this is where it gets weird. They ask him if he is married, of course not. They tell him you are denied. My father goes and asks again and they tell him maybe because his brother became a citizen.

I feel like they are making us turn in circles and not telling us what we have to do to help him. I email the embassy to ask about the reasons and Im still waiting.

If anybody can help me figure out what I am missing, or suggest something that we didn't do I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

I felt like I got discriminated just because I became a citizen and I don't know what to do.

You becoming a US citizen is a VERY good reason why the visa was denied. It proves he has immigrant intent since he has a USC relative. He would actually need to work harder to prove he does not have immigrant intent.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

anyone can inquire about a visa denial; the embassy is forbidden from providing details. Also, all of those 'reasons' given sound like somebody misheard whatever was said, because few COs would offer such lame reasons...it goes back to what the CO believes about the intentions of the applicant...just having some $$ to pay the tuition is not sufficient grounds to be granted a visa.

The back of the visa application asks about relatives living in the US and their status...the USC brother would have to be revealed (or be concealed, but once discovered, that's the end of the line for the applicant....liars who are unmasked are not rewarded with a visa for their efforts.

I just think it is lame that the US embassy finds awkward reasons to deny visa applicants when the real problem is coming from the border at the south of the US. There's a program on TV called Border Wars and it will amaze you how the border crossers do it with impunity. They get caught taken back and they come back the next business day. The border agents know that and confirm it keeps happening all the time till they are successful. So this whole border patrol and visa control is just some dust thrown in our eyes. Personally I feel like with these developments, issue visas to people who are coming her legitimately and focus on the border crossers. But Well, that's just my opinion.

Timeline

I just think it is lame that the US embassy finds awkward reasons to deny visa applicants when the real problem is coming from the border at the south of the US. There's a program on TV called Border Wars and it will amaze you how the border crossers do it with impunity. They get caught taken back and they come back the next business day. The border agents know that and confirm it keeps happening all the time till they are successful. So this whole border patrol and visa control is just some dust thrown in our eyes. Personally I feel like with these developments, issue visas to people who are coming her legitimately and focus on the border crossers. But Well, that's just my opinion.

Thats true I want to find that show but I can't figure out what channel it come on lol.

while controlling our southern borders is quite important, the lack of same is not justification to dole out visas to anyone who is not coming from Mexico....one has to meet the qualifying standards, like it or not.

The COs are in place to determine who is legit and who is not....that's what they have been trained to do, not rely on some random person's opinions.

Timeline

while controlling our southern borders is quite important, the lack of same is not justification to dole out visas to anyone who is not coming from Mexico....one has to meet the qualifying standards, like it or not.

The COs are in place to determine who is legit and who is not....that's what they have been trained to do, not rely on some random person's opinions.

I bet you that my brother is legit more then you. Just because he got denied a VISA doesn't mean he is not legit. Now instead of making your attacks on my brother or myself I ask you with all of my respect to not to comment again if you dont have something nice to say. Keep your own opinion to yourself and only yourself as it is not helping no other here.

"legit" refers to the applicant being a legitimate applicant for the visa category being sought...that is, one who is perceived to be a bona fide recipient of said visa; one who will abide by the terms of the visa...and only a CO makes that determination...your thoughts on the matter are not considered.

And for your other thoughts, well, please refer to our First Amendment.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You said he hes not finished School but was applying for a Student Visa.

What does he want to study, where and which University?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

RHettVoe. With all due respect I think you have a problem. What it is, I don't know but I believe it has to do with anger for something no one knows about. You continuously trash talk every forum you comment in and LOTS of people have commented on your behavior but you continue to do it. Perhaps you should seek medical attention before it gets too late because it makes you look unintelligent and unmannered. I'm just saying...

I read your comment in the post where you berated one guy for commenting about something he felt people were giving wrong information about (and believe me, what he said was the absolute truth). You jumped on him and made uncalled for comments about him because he was from Ghana and not an American citizen etc and therefore had no rights to even correct anyone...as though being an American gives one an automatic guarantee to heaven. If you can't contribute ALONE without saying something uncalled for, then desist from doing that as I believe your comments just generate tension and do not help anybody. This forum exists to help people. If you can't help, then desist from typing anything!

Edited by ManCharsey

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello

Thank you.

Hi

What I find strange is that your brother had already tried thrice for a US visa till the time he is 18 yrs old which is kinda rare, there is nothing wrong in it but it will only raise eye brows of COs.

To get a tourist visa a persons family needs to be affluent, and also a group of family members should have tried for the tourist visa, It really doesnt make any sense to the COs that one person goes to US as a tourist.

And he tried F1 at 18, out of lot of my friends experience's I can tell that, now on how many ever times he tries for F1 I doubt he will get a visa, if doesnt change his situation. That means he can improve his scores and get into a better university or do BS in home country and do MS in US, that is some improvement has to happen, and the intention for a bonafide above average student has to be proved.

However F1 is like a lottery for some average to below average students, it may click for very few and rejection for the rest.

Edited by G_One

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Applying for tourist visa when he is 18 (why not F1 ?) is very questionable not only to the interviewer but to me also. I think when he was 18, he should've applied for a student visa instead of tourist visa.

BTW Did the interviewer ask him to show any document like school transcript, financial support ?

Edited by lasko12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.