DarkKiss

Free to Remarry - Texas Divorce Definition Help?

66 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

"The marriage must be legally possible according to laws of the U.S. state in which the marriage will take place."

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/fiance-k-1.html

You should probably err on the side of caution and withdraw and refile based on this language.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It would be nice, and highly appropriate, if respondents would indicate whether they are licensed to practice law or if they are merely offering their educated (or not) interpretation of whether something will or will not happen in regard to the OP's issue.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Timeline

It would be nice, and highly appropriate, if respondents would indicate whether they are licensed to practice law or if they are merely offering their educated (or not) interpretation of whether something will or will not happen in regard to the OP's issue.

According to VJ Terms of Service, attorneys are not allowed to offer advice. Everything posted in these forums are the opinions of the poster. Anyone who needs legal advice should consult with a licensed attorney.

NO LEGAL ADVICE OR ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP

Information contained on or made available through VisaJourney.com Websites and Services (including but not limited to the discussion forums) is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation or counseling under any circumstance and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Do not act on or rely on any information from VisaJourney.com Websites and Services without consulting with a licensed attorney as this site is not a substitute for obtaining appropriate legal advice from a competent, independent legal counsel in the relevant jurisdiction. Moreover, due to the rapidly changing nature of the law and the reliance on information provided by outside sources, we make no warranty or guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the Content on VisaJourney.com Websites and Services or at other sites to which we link. Nothing submitted to this Web Site is treated as is privileged or confidential with the exception of items listed in Visajourney.com's Privacy Policy. All communications and Content Posted via the Service (including but not limited to the discussion forums) are NOT treated as privileged or confidential.

ATTORNEY ETHICS NOTICE

If you are an attorney, participating in any aspect or using any Service of Visajourney.com, including but not limited to, chat rooms or discussion forums, you acknowledge that rules of professional conduct apply to all aspects of your participation and that you will abide by such rules. The rules include, but are not limited to, the rules relating to advertising, solicitation of clients, unauthorized practice of law, and misrepresentations of fact. Visajourney.com disclaims all responsibility for your compliance with these rules. You further agree and acknowledge that when you use any Service of Visajourney.com, including but not limited to the discussion forums and chat rooms, you will not offer legal advice and will not solicit employment from prospective clients.

Edited by ExExpat

Of course everything presented here is the opinion or educated interpretation of the issue. When I offer my interpretation, I usually also try to offer a source from which it is based.

The issue is whether it is a problem the OP filed a petition, while not fulfilling the waiting period following divorce according to Texas law. I do not argue that the OP cannot marry in another state, because of the waiting period in Texas...of course he is within his legal right to marry in another state. The issue is, how will this affect his petition? According to a case, which I provided the link earlier, both parties must establish they are free to marry at the time of filing. Who makes that determination? When USCIS receives his petition, it will have his listed Texas address as well as his divorce decree. They will see according to Texas law he is not free to remarry in Texas. BUT....it also does not necessarily mean he is not free to remarry, if he does so in another state. Had he indicated the state he intended to marry, it may not have caused any problems. He may only receive an RFE for the issue, in which he can submit that he will marry in a state that does not have a waiting period. Alternatively, if he received a denial, he might be able to appeal the decision...citing that he could legally marry elsewhere and not in Texas.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My decision to withdraw is final. I've spoken to my fiancee and he is in agreement. But I have a few questions:

1. Will USCIS send me the original packet back, and will I have to wait for it before I can re-file? The reason I'm asking is because my Fiancee's Letter of Intent and his G-325A are in that packet, and those are originals with original signatures. If I don't wait for them to send the packet back with those original documents, he will have to redo them and DHL them to me again from the Dominican Republic. (His Letter of Intent is OK because he has never been married)

2. OR willl he have to re-do his Letter of Intent and his G-325A anyway, and re-date to conform to the new date that I will be putting on my letter and forms.

Thanks Again

I am not an attorney and I don't play one on TV...and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night either.

You'll need all new original documents. Meaning, anything with an original signature you'll need to re-do. Obviously, anything that was copied you can simply copy again and resubmit. But as a previous poster said, you have to re-create the entire packet, unfortunately....you get nothing back form the USCIS.

USCIS / VSC
3/08/2013: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
3/12/2013: NOA1 Issued
3/15/2013: NOA1 Received (VCS)

7/10/2013: Transferred to TCS

7/25/2013: RFE

7/31/2013: RFE Response Received
8/07/2013: NOA2

NVC

8/16/2013: Sent to NVC
8/21/2013: NVC received
8/26/2013: Case number

US Consulate Guangzhou

8/28/2013: P3
9/14/2013: P3 Sent
9/16/2013: P3 received by GUZ

9/24/2013: P4 received via email

10/22/2013: Interview - Approved

10/24/2013: Visa Issued

10/30/2013: Passport available for pickup.

USCIS California

6/17/2016 I-751 Sent

Filed: IR-5 Country: Peru
Timeline

What would happen if I sent an addendum to my Letter of Intent to Marry and indicate the state in which I intend to marry? Could I do that now? Is that an option? I'm just trying to see if there's anything left that might cure the problem before I withdraw the petition?

Visa Timeline

Filed on I130 12/19/2021

R’cd NOA 1- 12/19/2021, Assigned - Nebraska Service Center

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I've read threads here that say if you send additional information unsolicited, they will send it back. But I don't know this for fact...I'm just telling you what I've seen people post. If you get an RFE (even if it's not for this) you would have the opportunity to include additional information. Many people use RFE's (myself included) to do additional front loading. So, with an RFE you could include that letter.

**I'm not an attorney and I don't play one on TV.

USCIS / VSC
3/08/2013: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
3/12/2013: NOA1 Issued
3/15/2013: NOA1 Received (VCS)

7/10/2013: Transferred to TCS

7/25/2013: RFE

7/31/2013: RFE Response Received
8/07/2013: NOA2

NVC

8/16/2013: Sent to NVC
8/21/2013: NVC received
8/26/2013: Case number

US Consulate Guangzhou

8/28/2013: P3
9/14/2013: P3 Sent
9/16/2013: P3 received by GUZ

9/24/2013: P4 received via email

10/22/2013: Interview - Approved

10/24/2013: Visa Issued

10/30/2013: Passport available for pickup.

USCIS California

6/17/2016 I-751 Sent

Filed: IR-5 Country: Peru
Timeline

I've read threads here that say if you send additional information unsolicited, they will send it back. But I don't know this for fact...I'm just telling you what I've seen people post. If you get an RFE (even if it's not for this) you would have the opportunity to include additional information. Many people use RFE's (myself included) to do additional front loading. So, with an RFE you could include that letter.

**I'm not an attorney and I don't play one on TV.

Thanks DJ&L. I think that will be my final question on this matter. I will decide either way. Last night, my conviction to Withdraw was Firm, but now I'm undecided. I have to do some more thinking on the matter. Either way, I thank everyone for your advice and opinions but ultimately the final decision is mine and fiancee's. We will do the best thing that we feel is right for us.

In the future, for any VJers getting a divorce in the State of Texas, take my advice and wait the 30 days after the Divorce BEFOREyes.gif filing your Petition!!!!!!

Visa Timeline

Filed on I130 12/19/2021

R’cd NOA 1- 12/19/2021, Assigned - Nebraska Service Center

You are right...however, unless the OP indicated in his letter of intent the state he intends to marry, then it will be assumed he will remarry in Texas. This is why I suggested if he receives an RFE to indicate the state he intends to marry.

How do YOU know what USCIS will assume?

My decision to withdraw is final. I've spoken to my fiancee and he is in agreement. But I have a few questions:

1. Will USCIS send me the original packet back, and will I have to wait for it before I can re-file? The reason I'm asking is because my Fiancee's Letter of Intent and his G-325A are in that packet, and those are originals with original signatures. If I don't wait for them to send the packet back with those original documents, he will have to redo them and DHL them to me again from the Dominican Republic. (His Letter of Intent is OK because he has never been married)

2. OR willl he have to re-do his Letter of Intent and his G-325A anyway, and re-date to conform to the new date that I will be putting on my letter and forms.

Thanks Again

I would have him complete new original letters with the new dates and have him get them to you ASAP. I don't think you will have to wait for your original packet to get back to you even it ever does.

God Bless

How do YOU know what USCIS will assume?

I DON'T know what they will assume. Just like I don't know how they will adjudicate his petition based on the information they have. If they limit themselves to Texas law, he could be given a denial. If they are more open, they could simply send him an RFE.

I suppose the statement you highlighted should read "..could be assumed he will remarry in Texas."

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Obviously, none of us know how they will handle this, but I would not withdraw the petition. I doubt CIS would know this Texas 30-day requirement, much less actually catch it.

Filed: Other Timeline

Obviously, none of us know how they will handle this, but I would not withdraw the petition. I doubt CIS would know this Texas 30-day requirement, much less actually catch it.

I think it's reasonable to assume that all adjudicators and keypunch people at the USCIS are using a proprietary application to enter all applications. One of the keystones of the K1 visa is to be free to marry, and if previously married and divorced in the USA, then the divorce must meet the state criteria for being considered legal. So, they key-in the date of the application, date and state of most recent divorce, and it's reasonable to assume that it determines whether you're free to marry or not. Of course, I don't have any way to know that for sure, but make that assumption by employing several years' experience working in the software industry. It's not likely in my opinion that would miss it, but hey, it could happen.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What would happen if I sent an addendum to my Letter of Intent to Marry and indicate the state in which I intend to marry? Could I do that now? Is that an option? I'm just trying to see if there's anything left that might cure the problem before I withdraw the petition?

Once you get your NOA1 and know which service center your petition is being processed at, you could send additional documentation. Send it with a copy of your NOA1, an explanation and new documentation. People have had documents get matched up to their case files this way. It is not 100% that it will find its way to your file, but it is possible, as others have had success doing so.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.