b_assif

Need help filing for divorce

46 posts in this topic

i have no way to do the publication or an address to send it to, what part of that dont you understand? I know what im talking about. It has to be in the area of where he was last known to be, which is in morocco.

It needs to be at his last known address as determined through the public records search you must do before being allowed to divorce through publication. As his last known address is your address, you'll be publishing locally. There was also someone who was just allowed to serve through facebook and email, because the missing spouse had no known address after they left.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

i have no way to do the publication or an address to send it to, what part of that dont you understand? I know what im talking about. It has to be in the area of where he was last known to be, which is in morocco.

"Publication" means that you publish a legal notice in a newspaper that the court directs you to publish it in. You don't deliver this notice to him by mail. It's published in the paper and serves as an official announcement to him that you are suing him for divorce. If he doesn't respond to it - or doesn't see it in the paper - that's HIS problem, not yours! As far as the court is concerned, once this ad has been published in whatever paper they tell you to put it in - that serves as his only notice. They will not require you to serve him personally. You won't have to know where he is, and you won't have to be able to reach him.

Courts recognize that not everyone can be reached. So as an alternative they have come up with this method (hundreds of years ago), to allow people to post a notice in a PUBLIC publication that people in the general public read. Their feeling is - if you can't reach the person personally, then this is the next best thing. If the person doesn't see the notice - then that's too bad for them. But you can continue on with your divorce proceedings once this has been published and some court-specified period of time has passed.

event.png

event.png

event.png

I Am The Petitioner

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? WE WISH!

Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan

I-129F Sent : 12/07/2013

I-129F NOA1 : 12/16/2013

Alien Registration Number Changed: 12/24/2013

Wait... wait... wait... wait...

Asked Congressman to send service request to USCIS: 7/1/2014

USCIS received Congressman's inquiry: 7/3/2014

Notification via USCIS Website of NOA2 - Approved: 7/5/2014

NOA2: 6/25/2014 - We found out later it had been approved (but not posted) before congressional inquiry received.

Shipped to Embassy: 7/17/2014

Received by Embassy: 7/21/2014 - Status: READY

Packet 3.5: 7/24/2014

Packet 3.5 Sent: 8/7/2014 (We had delays because of civil unrest in Pakistan)

Embassy Receive: 8/21/2014 (Again delays due to civil unrest)

Receive Appointment Letter/Interview Date: 8/27/2014 (interview date in just 9 days)!

Medical Exam: 8/29/2014 (Yikes! The whole thing has now been postponed for 2 months for TB testing)

Interview Date: Originally 9/5/2014 - Now Postponed for at least two months

TB Test Results: 10/15/2014 - came back 18 days early! And she's negative!

Interview Rescheduled 10/17/2014: (embassy moving at lightning speed)!

New Interview Date: 10/29/2014 APPROVED!!!

CEAC Updates to AP: 11/13/2014

CEAC Updates to ISSUED!! 11/14/2014

Visa In-Hand: 11/24/2014

Arrival in USA: 11/27/2014 -- 11 MONTHS, 1 WEEK, 4 DAYS AFTER NOA1

MARRIED: 11/30/2014 !!!

[/center]

THE END!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

That is assuming he is even still in Morocco. He has been gone 6 months and has his U.S. citizenship. I would say it is more likely he is back in the USA. Besides, plane tickets are expensive and so is divorce fees. The cheapest way to achieve her divorce is running the ad. Why waste her money really? He has cut off all communication with her and seems to not care.

I agree with you who know he already back to usa and live in other state or he moved to Europe .She need try first know if he left Usa or he back to Usa to be sure where is he and also In Morocco they can check on him easly trought the airoport

event.png

mohammed-iii-sultan-of-morocco-and-georg

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Are you sure he is still in Morocco??, i doubt it, this is my interpretation, if he is really believe about witchcraft then he should worry from Moroccan ladies (no offense to all ladies here, this is rarely happened now a days), do your research, and check if he is anywhere in the US, use resources such as Spokoe website where you can find most of information, if he is in the US one day he will need a credit card, rent an apartment, buy car where he will pay for car registration get car insurance and this all is traceable and you can hire a private investigator for a really cheap price.

Good luck. Also if he send you email to you gmail account, yahoo or what ever you are using, you can trace the IP and tells you exactly where is at unless if he is hiding he is IP.

anyone most of people responded to your question, and you can get a divorce since you can't find him.

Timeline

HI there, I am soory to hear about this. I pray for you. But they are sayiing to publish in the papers in your state. not morocco. you was abandondoned in your state. it doesnt matter if he is gone, just put it in your paper first. then they can get going to help you. good luck dear.

Timeline

i have a friend who is now doing this same thing and she published and boy let me tell you, some friends of her estranged husband is now coming forth with loads of info about how to find him. some people really should know who the friends are before .... hits the fans. she will find him soon and so will you to get the papers done. just do step by step as you are advised. you will be okay,

BE STRONG WOMAN.protest6wz.gif

Timeline

In Islam a man can marry up to 4 wives if he can provide exactly the same for all of them......not an easy thing to do btw. But I can tell you this, when I married in Morocco one of the questions on a form we had to fill out ask if there was a first wife and did the man have the permission from her to marry again. Still I know of some other Moroccans that took a 2nd wife without the 1st wife's knowledge and/or permission.

Moroccan laws are different than other countries. You do need permission from the first wife in order to re-marry. It could be possible I suppose in there corrupt judicial system , but I don't think it's as easy as you state here and my husband agrees .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

first of all I feel sorry for you getting in this situation with someone who doesn't deserve you and doesn't deserve to live respectfully to start with.

you can divorce him with no problem, it is the same process as regular divorce but could be a little longer considering one more facts that can change the process, first in your case it is considered abandonment, and once it is proven that he left the country and resides overseas you automatically could claim that you cant reach him for service. the lawyer will advice you better about the procedure as it differs from state to another but the overall the courts have steps to declare you unable to finalize the divorce without serving him. you also should include the psychological stress and pain and suffering that he caused you.

if he abused you physically and you have any cases in court pending or if he stole anything or whatever the case the lawyer can include this in the process and once he enters the US he will be arrested once his passport is scanned if there is a warrant of arrest on him.

please contact a lawyer and if you cant financially afford one the court can assign one for you once you proof that you cant pay. remember that you have the control no matter what, you are what you are. believe in yourself and you can do it and don't let something like this stress you to the point that it damages your own life.

good luck and get a legal advice.

This is what happened in Maryland during my first marriage... I had to attempt to serve him via one of the normal ways they require which was by a friend who would say they served him, by a police officer or by certified mail (he signs for it and then you have evidence he recieved the package). I tried all of this and didn't work. (he was in a different state but I had the right address... he just didnt want to be served.. So then after those methods are unsuccessful I had to file a motion for alternative service which stated I was not able to serve him y the normal ways required. They come back and tell you how else to serve him. Their method was via regular mail and to try certified mail again(which i thought was strange). Well I did both and I also added a tracking number to the regular mail but didn't require that he sign for it. I printed the verification that the mail had been delivered. Sometimes the judge will approve motion for alternative service and direct other means of service - like paper publication and then it has to be by their standards.. but they will give you directions. After that, he had like 60-90 dys to respond and contact the court, he didnt and then I had to file for a motion of default judgement (because he never responded)... finally I got granted my divorce. Not sure if this is the same in washington but the clerk of the circuit court should tell you. If you don't want anything from him (money, support,etc).. I wouldnt waste money on a lawyer just because he is hard to locate.. the requirements are going to be the same and its not as complicated as it sounds.. Hope this helps.

Forgot to add this.. don't drive yourself crazy trying to hunt him down.. you can ask for duplicate copies of the divorce request and have them sent certified mail to as many possible addresses you have for him. You want to show when you file for motion of alternative service that you really tried to have him served. I sent to his grandmothers in Philly, his mothers house in MD and his fathers in SC. They figure even if he doesn't live at any of those places he is either close or one of those close family members have told him about the mail. This helps.. So if you know previous addresses or addresses of close family just use them.

Timeline

I hate that he has done this to you. Men can be so cruel sometimes. It if were me i would not file for divorce unless you needed to. I would make him do all the work and pay for it too. If you divorce him now that he has his citizenship, it will leave it open for him to marry someone else in Morocco and then file for her to come to the US. I wouldn't give him that option. He also might make the mistake of marrying before you get divorced which as you know is illegal in the US. So you might want to think about that too. Good luck

• 9 months later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

OK,first I would like to thank everyone for their advice. Second I want to apologize for my crazy behavior and bad attitude. I wanted to check in and let every one know that I did finally get my divorce, it was finalized Oct. 29th 2014. What I did was filled out the paperwork online and emallied him the copies along with the joinder. He printed them out and signed and then mailed them back to me. I went to the court and filed for a waiving of the fees and did not have to pay anything. I filed it and waited the 90 days since there were no kids together and he agreed to everything. I notified him the day it was finalized and he said good now you can enjoy your life and that I ruined everything as I would not confess to witch craft and we could fix our marriage. So I sent him a picture of my hottest male friend and told him this was going to be my new husband. Its not true but it gave me a reason to smile lol. Anyway thank you everyone for your advice even if i was not showing much gratitude at the time. It still hard to believe Im not longer married to him but Im slowly starting to feel normal again.

4377610_bodyshot_300x400.gif5130242_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Date of Wedding :2007-09-04

Date I-130 Sent :2008//02/12

Date I-130 NOA1 2008/02/13

Date I-130 NOA2 :2008-06-04

Date I-129F Sent :2008-03-20

I-129F RFE(s) :2008/05/20

I-129F RFE Reply(s) :2008/05/27,20

Date I-129F NOA2:2008-06-04

Date Package Received By NVC :2008-06-06?

Date Package Left From NVC :2008-06-11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Good to hear, and the best to you in the future.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Good that you could finaly divorse.

One question:

Is he really in morroco? Did he send the papers to you from morroce or is he at usa?

OK,first I would like to thank everyone for their advice. Second I want to apologize for my crazy behavior and bad attitude. I wanted to check in and let every one know that I did finally get my divorce, it was finalized Oct. 29th 2014. What I did was filled out the paperwork online and emallied him the copies along with the joinder. He printed them out and signed and then mailed them back to me. I went to the court and filed for a waiving of the fees and did not have to pay anything. I filed it and waited the 90 days since there were no kids together and he agreed to everything. I notified him the day it was finalized and he said good now you can enjoy your life and that I ruined everything as I would not confess to witch craft and we could fix our marriage. So I sent him a picture of my hottest male friend and told him this was going to be my new husband. Its not true but it gave me a reason to smile lol. Anyway thank you everyone for your advice even if i was not showing much gratitude at the time. It still hard to believe Im not longer married to him but Im slowly starting to feel normal again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.