Saylin

NVC Filers - February 2014

2,641 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Same thing happened to my husband. Tax preparers aren't necessarily the best trained people in the world. They aren't normally accountants (who can get it wrong too.) They know the software they're looking at and that's it. Several suggested to my husband that he file as single but when he called the IRS they told him he was not allowed to file as single. He though it sounded odd as well which is why he called the IRS.

I also did not file as single in Canada because they already knew I was married. I received more of a refund because my husband was out of country actually and hadn't earned that much that year as well. You have to tell the CRA you're married within 30 days of getting married or becoming common-law, and within 90 days of separation.

I know it;s a huge thing with all the "how do I file" tax threads but I will never understand why people feel it's okay to say "yeah i'm single" on a form to the government. And they wonder how people get things they're not supposed to from the government as well? I met someone once who hadn't filed taxes in 30 years, but boy was that audit going to hurt since they had caught up with him and he said so to me.

I even filed taxes when I was in college because I made a little bit of money each year working for the school or my mom. I still have unused tuition amounts that help me get a refund 13 years after I've graduated and I only went to school for 2 years! Why wouldn't you want that?!

Well thank you Saylin and NLR for clearing this up for me. I have done some research. There are 3 ways he can file

1) As Head of Household- but can not file this way as no dependants live with him

2) As Married Filing Separately- (Higher tax bracket)which instead of using a SSN# which I don't have he'd just put in NRA in place of SSN for me???And we could just amend his taxes once I get my SSN??? Am I correct on that??

3) As Married Filing Jointly- (lower tax bracket but have to wait for ITIN#)- which I would have to apply for an ITIN # and do my own return 1040NR along with his 1040??Am I correct on that?? If I am, would I still be filing a tax return here in Canada and would I have to include his income on my return. I haven't researched the Canadian side of things yet.

To get ITIN# will take 8-10 weeks. Then file paper tax returns as the year you get ITIN# you cannot efile, which will take longer.

Just trying to find the most legal and easiest and fastest way to get things done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[url=
[url=[url=
event.png

05/19/12 : Got married

USCIS

07/21/13 : I-130 Mailed to USCIS

07/24/13 : NOA1

01/13/14 : Case transferred to CSC

01/31/14 : NOA2

NVC

02/11/14 : NVC received the case

03/18/14 : Case number assigned and IIN/BIN

03/19/14 : ENROLL Email sent (Did not receive auto reply)

03/20/14 : DS-261 Available and submitted

03/21/14 : AOS bill Available and paid

03/26/14 : AOS shows paid

03/26/14 : ENROLL email sent again (Received auto reply this time)

03/26/14 : AOS Emailed to NVC (No auto reply, but this is the email they responded too)

03/28/14 : IV bill available and paid

04/04/14 : IV shows paid

04/04/14 : DS-260 Available and completed

04/04/14 : IV package emailed to NVC(Haven't received ENROLL acceptance yet. but I figured I'd try and see what happens, Did not receive auto reply)

04/15/14 : AOS Emailed(received auto-reply)

04/17/14 : Received ENROLL acceptance email from NVC

04/17/14 : IV package emailed(Received Auto-reply)

04/17/14 : NVC acknowledges receipt of AOS-notice by email

04/21/14 : AOS approved (No checklist woo hoo, by phoning NVC))

04/21/14 : False check list for IV docs- email from NVC

04/28/14 : NVC reviewed DS-260

04/29/14 : False checklist for IV docs- email from NVC(the second one they've sent me)

05/05/14 : NVC acknowledges receipt of IV- notice by email

05/06/14 : Case Complete

05/14/14 : Interview scheduled--JUNE 25

06/03/14 : Medical with Dr. Ian Zatzman

07/11/14 : POE Qweenston/Lewiston Bridge New York

Number 2 is your easiest option for 2013 taxes.

As for your taxes... After inquiring with a canadian / us tax accountant, I found out how to file my taxes for 2013. I have to do my canadian taxes first. Then use form 2555 to exclude my Canadian income from our joint US filing.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

But I am also already living in the USA and have worked here for 1/2 the year.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Number 2 is your easiest option for 2013 taxes.

As for your taxes... After inquiring with a canadian / us tax accountant, I found out how to file my taxes for 2013. I have to do my canadian taxes first. Then use form 2555 to exclude my Canadian income from our joint US filing.

Ok so I am correct in the fact that we can just amend his taxes when I get an actual SSN. So we won't be filing joint in the US so I don't have to worry about providing income to the USA, but as for Canada taxes how do I file? Haven't found anything online about it yet. Still searching though.

Thanks again for the input

[url=
[url=[url=
event.png

USCIS

NVC

03/26/14 : AOS Emailed to NVC (No auto reply, but this is the email they responded too)

04/04/14 : IV package emailed to NVC(Haven't received ENROLL acceptance yet. but I figured I'd try and see what happens, Did not receive auto reply)

04/29/14 : False checklist for IV docs- email from NVC(the second one they've sent me)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
To get ITIN# will take 8-10 weeks. Then file paper tax returns as the year you get ITIN# you cannot efile, which will take longer.

Just trying to find the most legal and easiest and fastest way to get things done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

eh - you missed one important bit [apologies if someone else wrote this already]

Getting an ITIN MOSTLY is done when filing a tax return.

So, prep the tax return, print to paper, you two sign it,

prep the w-7 document with the ID stuff (pay attention to that one, lots of ppl are bit by wrong ID)

sign the w-7

and

the two of you prep a cover letting stating that you elect to be treated as a resident alien tax purposes for tax year 2013 (and sign it, both of you)

then

send all to the W-7 intake address in Austin TX, listed in the W-7 instructions.

you will not 'wait for ITIN' then file the return, you file all together into the special IRS address in Austin TX.

DURING TAX SEASON, it's 6 to 10 weeks on turn-around, expecting a paper-check as well.

MAKE 2 COPIES OF EVERYTHING YOU PREP for the tax return, submit ONE with the I-864 and SHOW the 2nd one on interview day (or both).

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Ok so I am correct in the fact that we can just amend his taxes when I get an actual SSN. So we won't be filing joint in the US so I don't have to worry about providing income to the USA, but as for Canada taxes how do I file? Haven't found anything online about it yet. Still searching though.

Thanks again for the input

Just file in Canada the same you always do. You can do it online of course. You won't get your T4 until the end of Feb probably but I had my husband on my taxes last year and just used all zeros in the SIN spot and declared him as a non-resident not living in Canada. I went to H&R block to do my taxes.

Timeline

eh - you missed one important bit [apologies if someone else wrote this already]

Getting an ITIN MOSTLY is done when filing a tax return.

So, prep the tax return, print to paper, you two sign it,

prep the w-7 document with the ID stuff (pay attention to that one, lots of ppl are bit by wrong ID)

sign the w-7

and

the two of you prep a cover letting stating that you elect to be treated as a resident alien tax purposes for tax year 2013 (and sign it, both of you)

then

send all to the W-7 intake address in Austin TX, listed in the W-7 instructions.

you will not 'wait for ITIN' then file the return, you file all together into the special IRS address in Austin TX.

DURING TAX SEASON, it's 6 to 10 weeks on turn-around, expecting a paper-check as well.

MAKE 2 COPIES OF EVERYTHING YOU PREP for the tax return, submit ONE with the I-864 and SHOW the 2nd one on interview day (or both).

Yah. Thanks for the info.

We are filing hubby's 2013 tax return, to submit it to NVC. I've been trying to explain to him that the w7 has to go with tax return. His dad is his tax preparer and is telling me to just get an ITIN and I've been sending him info saying NO, it needs to go with return. And to get ITIN # I have to send ORIGINAL or certified copies to them. I do not like the idea of sending my passport in the mail as passport serves as the ID required, OR Drivers license and birth certificate. Can't very well be driving around without my drivers license and I'm scheduled to go visit him in a months time but won't be able to go if IRS has my passport. and to get certified copy of my Passport will take 4-6 weeks. So it just seems easier and quicker for him to just file married filing separately.

Just file in Canada the same you always do. You can do it online of course. You won't get your T4 until the end of Feb probably but I had my husband on my taxes last year and just used all zeros in the SIN spot and declared him as a non-resident not living in Canada. I went to H&R block to do my taxes.

Ok great. I always go to H and R block. I'm not sure how they filed me last year, but I did have to produce my marriage certificate as I changed my name at the same time.

[url=
[url=[url=
event.png

USCIS

NVC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Yah. Thanks for the info.

We are filing hubby's 2013 tax return, to submit it to NVC. I've been trying to explain to him that the w7 has to go with tax return. His dad is his tax preparer and is telling me to just get an ITIN and I've been sending him info saying NO, it needs to go with return. And to get ITIN # I have to send ORIGINAL or certified copies to them. I do not like the idea of sending my passport in the mail as passport serves as the ID required, OR Drivers license and birth certificate. Can't very well be driving around without my drivers license and I'm scheduled to go visit him in a months time but won't be able to go if IRS has my passport. and to get certified copy of my Passport will take 4-6 weeks. So it just seems easier and quicker for him to just file married filing separately.

Ok great. I always go to H and R block. I'm not sure how they filed me last year, but I did have to produce my marriage certificate as I changed my name at the same time.

Don't send your passport to the IRS! I sent my wife's, and we got it back about five months later (after two three-hour phone calls).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5/17/2013 NOA1

12/30/2013 NOA2

2/25/2014 Case number received

3/3/2014 DS-261 submitted

3/7/2014 AOS package mailed

3/21/2014 DS-260 submitted

3/24/2014 IV package mailed

3/27/2014 Checklisted material mailed

4/14/2014 Case Complete

6/9/2014 Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I've just gone through the passport thing with my spouse. We did not DARE send her passport to the IRS, since we are in the middle of the I-130/NVC process. However, she was able to send her passport to the US Consulate in Sydney Australia. They certified a COPY of her passport. She had the passport back in 5 days. That's the only way to go in my opinion.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

ya, is possible to get the foreign passport 'done' at the us embassy,

during an ACS appointment, paying 50 bucks .

i like it, same day service.

That's what we did.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/412599-about-file-tax-for-2012-together-with-wife-still-oversea/?view=findpost&p=5956138

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/318133-taxes-update-for-itin-w-7-with-china/?view=findpost&p=4990008

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

That's what we did.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/412599-about-file-tax-for-2012-together-with-wife-still-oversea/?view=findpost&p=5956138

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/318133-taxes-update-for-itin-w-7-with-china/?view=findpost&p=4990008

Only problem is it's for the AOS, have no appointment and US embassy or consulate and it is a 6-8 hour drive for me one way, same thing to go to passport office to get certified copy, 5- 6 hour drive one way.

[url=
[url=[url=
event.png

USCIS

NVC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

That's what we did.

Depends on the Consulate, Darnell. Australia is by mail only. Can't do it in person.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

ya, i get that. sorry sad.pnghalloween.gif

Where can I find out how to have my passport certified? I need to send to my husband too

Married in Texas Sept. 16, 2013

Sent I-130 Nov. 3, 2013

Received NOA1 (email) Dec. 19, 2013

Requested Expedite Jan. 2, 2014

Approved Expedite Jan. 4, 2014

Case sent to NVC Jan. 15, 2014

Received NOA1 (mail) Jan. 22, 2014

NVC Received Case Jan. 27, 2014

Received NOA2 (mail) Feb. 25, 2014

NVC Assigned Case Number Mar. 11, 2014

Paid AOS Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Paid IV Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Submitted DS-260 Apr. 4, 2014

Mailed in IV packet Apr. 8, 2014

Submitted AOS packet Forgot the date

Case complete May 31, 2014

Medical Jun. 26, 2014

Interview Jul. 8, 2014

POE (LAX) Sept. 16, 2014

Paid ELIS May 16, 2015

Received GC May 23, 2015

I-751 Receipt Date July 5, 2016

ROC NOA July 15, 2016

I-751 Biometrics Aug. 5, 2016

ROC Approved Sept. 18, 2017
Received GC Sept. 25, 2017

CR1 Spousal Visa Guide

TBErp8.png

YEP0m5.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Yeah at least one of them is only valid for 90 days.. my wife went ahead and got hers this month and sent it with a friend. It's a slight gamble but I'm pretty sure they will still be valid when the NVC finally requests them. Either way, it'll only take a couple of days to get them again if need be.

Good luck, keep me posted. I'm sure our interviews and medical exam dates will be close to each other.

You got it buddy! You do the same.

Our journey to happiness: (click "show" to see our timeline)

05/05/12 - Wedding day!

USCIS

06/07/13 - Mailed I-130
06/10/13 - NOA1
12/19/13 - First text/email for case transfer
12/26/13 - Received hard copy transfer notice: Texas Service Center

01/21/14 - NOA2 Approval text/email
01/25/14 - Received hard copy of approved I-797
01/29/14 - Text/email advising TSC shipped case to DOS

NVC
02/06/14 - NVC received our case file.
03/13/14 - Case number, IIN and BIN assigned
03/17/14 - DS-261 completed. Email Confirmation received
03/18/14 - Received email to pay AOS fee. Invoiced and paid (in process)
03/19/14 - Requested NVC to "join" wife's and daughter's cases
03/20/14 - AOS status "PAID" for wife
03/26/14 - AOS status "PAID" for daughter
03/26/14 - AOS packets sent
03/28/14 - IV available and paid for both wife and daughter (in process)
04/01/14 - IV shows "PAID", DS-260 available
04/05/14 - DS-260 complete and submitted
04/07/14 - Civil docs arrived via DHL from my wife. IV packets sent (Finally!!)
04/14/14 - False checklist for IV packet (wife and daughter)
04/15/14 - Confirmed AOS approved (did not ask for specific approval date) - IV packets in system

04/25/14 - CASE COMPLETE (wife and daughter) :dance:

04/30/14 - Interview scheduled (yay!!)

05/02/14 - Received e-mail with P4 letters

05/07/14 - NVC shipped case files to Lima Embassy via DHL. CEAC status "In transit"

05/09/14 - DHL delivered case files to Embassy. CEAC status "Ready"

Embassy (Lima, PE)

06/09/14 - Medical Exam. 4pm appointment

06/24/14 - Interview appointment @8am Visa approved!!! Bananeyessss.gifBananezorro.gif

06/25/14 - CEAC status "Issued"

06/28/14 - Visa in hand

08/05/14 - POE !! smiley-happy093.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.