Mike Bowman

Multiple problems trying to do AOS after K1

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ok...So...Our K1 process went smooth as butter! Our AOS..or I should say, all the BS before the AOS is killing us! We have multiple problems that I can find a straight answer anywhere and frankly tired of searching considering everyone situation is different. So I will try to explain the best I can here:

My wife is from UKRAINE, we got married on Nov 16th, 2013. We are almost ready to turn in the AOS paperwork but running into these problems:

1. The marriage certificate shows my wifes maiden name and not my last name. When I went back and looked at the marriage license, the only box that ask for her name is a box that reads "Name of bride" (We are not marriage as of this point so I put her name, not my last name). A box next to that says "Maiden Name" (if you were married before. Not extra boxes to check for her to take my last name or nothing.) It is certified as my name and her name, not her name with my last name. This is from the state of Virginia where we got married. I called my mom and she says I did everything correct and that this is normal. How can I get her name changed with the SS office if it doesn't show my last name attached to hers on the marriage certificate?...I'm confused!

2. We got her a Social Security number and it has her full name (First, middle, last) but her passport only shows first and last. Will this be a problem? But...since we are now married I want to change the Social Security card to have my last name on her name. Our marriage certificate does not reflect this so will they change it to my last name or not?

3. We want to get her a drivers license and I was told we need to bring in the marriage certificate and her passport....well this is fine and dandy as of right now because her names all match (marriage certificate, passport, and SS card) but we need to change her last name to mine for the AOS documents. AOS is more important but once we change her name to my last name nothing will match and I know DMVs are stupid about immigration and will reject us because the names dont match...even though we are married the marriage certificate shows her last name and not mine. What to do here I have zero clue!

4. Our freaking medical is driving us UP A WALL! This is taking FOREVER! So we go into the doctors office after calling 20 different places...all we busy, didn't want to do it, or going on vacation...excuse after excuse. We found one and we go in and right away they want another TB test. They said the TB test for her to come here was NOT good enough and unless we can provide proof another one is needed. We actually had the Xray from Ukraine...the doctor refused to even look at it. She claimed we needed this and that vaccine (Which is fine) but then said we also needed a MANDATORY Flu shot (#######?????!!!!) I am against all flu shots! They are not needed for anyone! The doctor said we can refuse it and get denied for a green card (basically being a ) So my girl got this unneeded flu shot. We had to get another TB Xray done and blood work done. OK not a problem! They said they will call in a few days with xray and blood work results. A few days go by and nothing. I call and they dont return a call...I called again 2 days later and they didn't return a call again. I call a third time (with not the nicest voice) and I get a call back saying they are waiting on blood work still...I explain its been over 10 days now...they said this is a 10-14 day process...other offices say 2-3 days. They also said when we come back in my girl needs a physical....WHAT???? I'm only reading about needing vaccinations....not an additional TB test, flu shot, physical. Now...the doctors office calls us today saying the hospital they sent our blood work too has lost it and we can pay an additional $120 to draw more blood and send it away WHAT!!!!!!!!??????? ####### is going on with these stupid people?!!! I'm more than outraged right now!

So all in all...this is what Ive done...ALL the AOS paperwork has my name attached to her last name...since we are married. I have a suspect marriage certificate, botched medical exam where they just want money, and zero clue about getting her a driver license due to names not matching up after we do a name change. This is not supposed to be this complicated and to me...it seems like American can give 2 shits about immigrants...and I'm American!!!! Don't even get me started on trying about putting my wife on my medical insurance!

Any help would be awesome. I didn't want to write this on another post due to some post being years old and people complaining about "reviving old threads" and never getting a response. Thanks...sorry for the rant!

1. File AOS in her new married name - not an issue. Marriage certificate the way it is is sufficient - no changes necessary.

2. Leave SS card as is for now - once you get her green card or EAD, go back to SSA and have it changed to the new married name.

3. You most likely won't even be able to get her a driver's license until she has an EAD or a GC in hand (will depend on state of course). Deal with that later.

4. Browse through the topics in AOS from Family Based VIsas where your topic has been moved to find info on a civil surgeon who is not out to rip you off with unnecessary physicals and tests - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/231026-civil-surgeons-who-dont-rip-you-off/page-23

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Marriage certificate is correct. It is her option to take your name or not but it must be all or nothing. The certificate shows you are married thus giving her the right to take your name. Imagine if you married and she did want your name but was forced to because the marriage certificate made her.

As to the medical, they are ripping you off. What the heck was the blood work for? All she needs is to complete her immunizations. I would go ape crazy on this doctor's office. If your blood work was "lost" that is not your problem that is for the doctor or lab to take care of. They cover the cost of redrawing it. And no way in Heck does it cost $120 to draw blood but as I said, they lost it so they cover the cost. Go have a serious talk with them about how all you need is the updated vaccinations. Be firm.

Edited by belinda63

Timeline

Ok so as of right now I'm doing everything correct. maybe I'm just freaking out but the medical Im furious about! I already know the doctors office will just tell me to either pay or she won't sign the documents I need. Shes already been doing it when I made a spat about the flu shot....she stopped what she was doing and said "Ok I'll just write on the documents you refuse the flu shot and you can deal with it at immigration". The blood work was done for measles...so the doctor says. I know no clue what chemicals they are putting into wifes body. They throw this "Well you wont get a green card then if you don't do this or that" like its all a joke to them. These are doctors found on the USCIS website.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Why did you move my topic? Now I won't get any response...thanks

Your post was moved because it was posted in the wrong section of the forum. Your question is related to AOS and not to a K1 Process or Procedure.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Flu shot during flu season IS mandatory for AOS. You will need to get the flu shot or try to file a waiver. You cannot pick and choose which immunizations to be against though. You must be opposed to them all in order to get a waiver. Read through this FAQ > http://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/vaccination-requirements

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

My wife is from UKRAINE, we got married on Nov 16th, 2013. We are almost ready to turn in the AOS paperwork but running into these problems:

1. The marriage certificate shows my wifes maiden name and not my last name. When I went back and looked at the marriage license, the only box that ask for her name is a box that reads "Name of bride" (We are not marriage as of this point so I put her name, not my last name). A box next to that says "Maiden Name" (if you were married before. Not extra boxes to check for her to take my last name or nothing.) It is certified as my name and her name, not her name with my last name. This is from the state of Virginia where we got married. I called my mom and she says I did everything correct and that this is normal. How can I get her name changed with the SS office if it doesn't show my last name attached to hers on the marriage certificate?...I'm confused! - all is fine, i've read in russian forum about this issue and according to marriage license she can take ur last name or keep hers (not in all states this papers asks for a last name after marriage). Use this link its in russian, let ur wife read it it's all clear http://www.zaokeanom.com/forum/forum24.html find there last name change and there are plenty of girls from Ukraine Russia etc who explain it all step by step.

2. We got her a Social Security number and it has her full name (First, middle, last) but her passport only shows first and last. Will this be a problem? But...since we are now married I want to change the Social Security card to have my last name on her name. Our marriage certificate does not reflect this so will they change it to my last name or not? - if i am not mistaken, after u married it's not a problem change her last name of SS, just file new form and put her married name, also it asks for her maiden name (u'll see on the form) here is the link: http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn it all explains for K-1 holders.

4. Our freaking medical is driving us UP A WALL! This is taking FOREVER! So we go into the doctors office after calling 20 different places...all we busy, didn't want to do it, or going on vacation...excuse after excuse. We found one and we go in and right away they want another TB test. They said the TB test for her to come here was NOT good enough and unless we can provide proof another one is needed. We actually had the Xray from Ukraine...the doctor refused to even look at it. She claimed we needed this and that vaccine (Which is fine) but then said we also needed a MANDATORY Flu shot (#######?????!!!!) I am against all flu shots! They are not needed for anyone! The doctor said we can refuse it and get denied for a green card (basically being a ######) So my girl got this unneeded flu shot. We had to get another TB Xray done and blood work done. OK not a problem! They said they will call in a few days with xray and blood work results. A few days go by and nothing. I call and they dont return a call...I called again 2 days later and they didn't return a call again. I call a third time (with not the nicest voice) and I get a call back saying they are waiting on blood work still...I explain its been over 10 days now...they said this is a 10-14 day process...other offices say 2-3 days. They also said when we come back in my girl needs a physical....WHAT???? I'm only reading about needing vaccinations....not an additional TB test, flu shot, physical. Now...the doctors office calls us today saying the hospital they sent our blood work too has lost it and we can pay an additional $120 to draw more blood and send it away WHAT!!!!!!!!??????? ####### is going on with these stupid people?!!! I'm more than outraged right now! - i guess u need to get all demands for AOS done, though if i am not mistaken she could do her flue shot in kiev and ask for her vaccination card that she is supposed to present for AOS. be calm, just do what they ask u will not break the system or change human factor that influence decisions.

Cheer up, you'll be fine! The hardest thing is over :) My comments are base in all the info i am reading and was reading as far as i am still in K-1 process so i check all steps in advance in order to make less mistakes possible!

P.S. Regarding her middle name (that is actually patronymic- her father's name) it's true our travel doc does not include it, so when you will file AOS and SS and the rest of docs, where she puts her "new name" she may put it without "patronymic" - also read alot about this and people say it's not a problem.

Wish u good luck and congrats on ur marriage!

K-1 timeline:

11-07-2013 - I-129F form sent ---> 11-15-2013 - NOA1 - e-mail received, transferred to California Service Center.

11-20-2013 - Alien registration number changed.

11-22-2013 - NOA1 hardcopy (I-797C)

12-13-2013 - NOA2 approval notification ---> 12-20-2013 - NOA2 hardcopy

01-08-2014 - NVC recieved ---->01-09-2014 - NVC left

01-13-2014 - Consulate recieved ----> 01-14-2014 - E-mail from the Consulate

01-16-2014 - NVC letter hardcopy ----> 01-23-2014- Medical done

02-18-2014- Interview (Approved) ----> 02-20-2014- Visa issued ----> 02-24-2014- Visa in hand

03-02-2014- US entry --->03-20-2014 - Social Security Number recieved --->04-24-2014 - Wedding

AOS timeline:

05-13-2014 - AOS package sent ---> 05-21-2014- NOA1 - e-mail received

05-24-2014 - NOA1 hardcopy (I-797C)

06-03-2014 - Biometrics appointment letter (for June 13)

06-12-2014 - USCIS web status for RFE

06-13-2014 - Biometrics done

06-16-2014 - RFE hardcopy in mail ---> 06-18-2014 - RFE answer sent by mail ---> 06-20-2014 - RFE delivered

08-05-2014 - EAD/ AP - APPROVED!!!! ---> 08-13-2014 - EAD/AP card delivered

09-05-2014 - InfoPass due to RFE and SSN (RFE delievered June 23 to NBC).

10-17-2014 - SSN recieved on married name ---> 12-12-2014 - update on USCIS web (RFE received on June 23), the case could not be tracked

02-17-2015 - GC approved (no interview) ---> 02-26-2015 - GC RECEIVED

08-13-2016 - address change via web --->09-13-2016 - Address change via mail (web failed to change correctly) --->10-06-2016 - Address change of sponsor

ROC:

11-21-2016 - package sent to CSC ---> 11-22-2016 - package delivered to CSC ---> 11-25-2016 - check cashed--->11-28-2016- NOA1 (dated 11/22/16) --->12-20-2016 -Biometrics appointment

07-18-2017-address change-> 05-10-2018 - GC Approved

N-400:

02-15-18 - Applied -> 03-09-18 - Bio app-> 04-04-18-interview notice-> 05-09-18-interview->05-10-18 - approved -> 06-07-18 - Oath appt notice -> 06-27-18 - Oath ceremony

She does need the flu shot. It is currently flu season, meaning it is mandatory for people AOSing at this time of year.

My marriage certificate (from Ohio) also did not have anywhere for me to put my new name after marriage. It doesn't matter. I used it to change my name with multiple companies and government bodies in the UK, so I'm sure it is perfectly fine to use in the US.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I'm just going to throw in my 2 cents about the medical exam. My hubby (then fiance) had his initial medical done in Turkiye and had a few shots and a chest xray and blood drawn and that was that, he went on to the interview, everything was great, he passed, he got visa, we're married now and happy as a clam, haha..........................anyway, once he got here to pennsylvania he had to go to a civil surgeon and have additional shots given, like a second round to whatever he got in turkiye. she charged us 120.00 in cash just to handle the AOS paperwork and gave it to us in a sealed envelope just like the K-1 stuff. he had blood drawn again and they did a special test where they could test for TB by using the blood because i had to work and could not get back to the office to have them check his injection site. we were already married at this point and he was already on my medical insurance so everything got billed as routine except the blood work and all got covered at 100%, i had a smidge of a deductible or co-insurance from the blood work and that 120 cash thing for the paperwork but not as horrible as i thought it was going to be.

about the drivers license thing, i had taken him to the dmv right away and got a state id. we have been doing his drivers test for the past few months, he needed a few tries, and we started before he had his EAD so maybe it depends state to state but we were allowed to get his drivers license with just his state id, his passport and all the damn paperwork that we've collected on this journey. we have two folders we carry everywhere. one of his stuff, and one of all the other stuff like proof that he is on my health insurance, car insurance, whatever.............. no matter what random piece of paper they ask me for, i have it in that damn folder, that's for sure, lol

best of luck to ya, message me if i can help ya anymore, that is, if i've helped ya at all :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Your situation is exactly why we did not change my wife's last name. Mismatches are going to turn up as you go through the process. Remember all that 129 and visa app paperwork was in her maiden name and still in her file. Now, when ever it comes up you will need to have your original marriage certificate on hand. That includes anytime she goes out of the US. Her passport will still have her maiden name.

There should be no need to to stress about the medical. If she had one done before the Visa interview, that is good for one year. It is already in her file. (remember the sealed envelope?) Civil surgeon fees seem to be all over the map. If you feel you need to talk to one, they will of course tell you you need everything including the kitchen sink. That is how they make a living. Before I found out we did not need to see a civil surgeon, we were getting quotes of $700. Total rip-off, But remember they are also dealing with people who are here on other visas and then submit AOS after marriage. Those people would of course need the exam. you do not because you came in on a K-1

As far as I know, the flu shot is required (like it or not). My wife got hers at the Visa exam. Done and done.

Edited by slowlyman

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.