GJen

Help me understand Obamacare

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hey everyone

I'm coming back to Visajourney because I need your helping understanding all this craziness. Let me give you a little bit of background.

I'm from Venezuela, I moved here in 2010 and just a couple months ago I got my 10 year greencard. Right now I work at Best Buy and it's a part time position and they don't offer insurance for part-timers. My wife does have a full-time job, but since it's a small business their insurance is pretty expensive and with really high deductibles, and it is now going up even more thanks to the whole Obamacare law. I used to work at a different place and I had insurance there, but now that I dont have one I was trying to find a way to get insurance. We were looking into my wife's insurance plan and see if I could get enrolled with my her insurance plan, but our monthly payments could go as high as $600 per month just for adding me which is absurd.

I have tried reading about the whole obamacare, but I just dont understand much and I dont even know if this would apply to me or not! it is also kinda scary because I read somewhere that if I dont have insurance by 2014, there's a penalty for who isnt enrolled in an insurance plan.

Now my questions are...

is Obamacare for me? can I really get a really cheap insurance plan for me?

will I have to pay a penalty if I dont enroll with an insurance plan by the end of the year?

I'm also hoping next year I get a full-time offer at bestbuy so I could get their insurance... can I just wait and see if this happens or should I just go ahead and enroll with obamacare?

Please give me any information about this topic. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!

Edited by GJen

G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif

Visajourney.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Current Affairs/Hot Topics forum to the Moving Here & Your New Life forum, as a better location for this topic. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

I'm a USC and I have trouble understanding Obamacare! It looks like my husband (LPR) is eligible to buy it, they just wanted me to scan his green card and mail it (the scan) so a person could verify it.

As far as I know, everyone needs insurance at least 3 months out of the year or they will be fined 90-something dollars at tax time. But that is set to go up in following years. Right now all of America is pretty much confused.

If you miss this enrollment period you need to wait until the next one to sign up. I don't have the website open right now so I can't look it up, but it might not be until November 2014...don't quote me on that...I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what you should do regarding the possible job with insurance.

Edited by indiana_sweetie

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

GJen - the website https://www.healthcare.gov/ is working now. You can plug in your info and it will tell you how much of a tax credit you will get to pay your premium. Then you can shop for a plan.

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

Thanks to this Obamacare requirement . I also had to buy healthcare insurance for my hubby (added expenses). My hubby is worth it but I wished I had an option to wait until it was the right time!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Thanks to this Obamacare requirement . I also had to buy healthcare insurance for my hubby (added expenses). My hubby is worth it but I wished I had an option to wait until it was the right time!

It's NEVER the right time to get sick or have an accident! One incident or illness without insurance and you can be digging out financially for years!

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

It's NEVER the right time to get sick or have an accident! One incident or illness without insurance and you can be digging out financially for years!

But you are missing the point. I can buy insurance whenever I want to. I don't need to have the government mandate.

I look at it as the government's way to get guaranteed additional taxes from a taxed out middle class. Work on providing decent jobs and those not so able body citizens to afford to buy their own health insurance in the first place. Leave the ones who are doing fine alone.

I have friends who are doctors and they even say the whole premise is a bad idea. Just wait and see.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You can't wait until you're sick to buy insurance though so surely you should always have insurance, there is never a right time. am I right in thinking a deductible is like an excess? Trying to understand the terminology for healthcare out there, anyone know if I can buy healthcare through the marketplace when I first get there?

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Anyone can go to the ER for free. And anyone in need isn't going to be ruined for life if they have an accident. Obamacare isn't about insuring the poor. Or getting everyone insurance. No employer is required to offer insurance to its employees. Its another tax scam. On the middle class working man. To support more job destroying spending. While buildijng a bigger poor people / illegal / gubment dependant class. For votes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Anyone can go to the ER for free. And anyone in need isn't going to be ruined for life if they have an accident. Obamacare isn't about insuring the poor. Or getting everyone insurance. No employer is required to offer insurance to its employees. Its another tax scam. On the middle class working man. To support more job destroying spending. While buildijng a bigger poor people / illegal / gubment dependant class. For votes.

Where do you get your info from, going to ER would have cost me $500 without insurance , certainly not free, people not getting insurance and getting sick and relying on charity and government funding is more damaging to the middle class than them being required legally to have insurance

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

He is saying it is free because they must treat you in the ER... Of course they will send you a bill, but they must treat you without demanding payment before they provide care....

This is the way many poor people and illegal immigrants receive healthcare in this country.... its just they way it is..

Hence the need for everyone to have health insurance. Too many people who can afford health insurance use the "free" ER as their means of healthcare and those of us who actually pay for insurance have to foot that bill as well. Mandatory health insurance keeps everyone honest. Those that can't afford it are eligible for Medicaid or will receive tax breaks to help offset the costs.

Edited by Teddy B

But you are missing the point. I can buy insurance whenever I want to. I don't need to have the government mandate.

I look at it as the government's way to get guaranteed additional taxes from a taxed out middle class. Work on providing decent jobs and those not so able body citizens to afford to buy their own health insurance in the first place. Leave the ones who are doing fine alone.

I have friends who are doctors and they even say the whole premise is a bad idea. Just wait and see.

If your husband was to get seriously ill or hurt in an accident, who would pay the hospital bills?

What do your doctor fiends say about you not carrying insurance for your husband? Good or bad idea?

Edited by Teddy B

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.