Irah

can i work out of state

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It is a red flag, as in the nursing profession there are shortages all over the US. They will question why you left the state for a RN position versus working in a different city in the same state. Why not obtain a position in various entities other than a hospital. Nursing home, schools, correctional facility, home health/private duty, weekend options, among others....

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is a red flag, as in the nursing profession there are shortages all over the US. They will question why you left the state for a RN position versus working in a different city in the same state. Why not obtain a position in various entities other than a hospital. Nursing home, schools, correctional facility, home health/private duty, weekend options, among others....

California is now very strict with foreign nurses.. I have a RN license in Florida, unfortunately, California will let us study again to be a RN here...

June 2008 - We Met
August 21, 2009 - formal relationship started
November 2009 - First Meeting
May 2010 - Second Meeting
May 2011 - Third Meeting
Feb 06, 2012 - Sent I-129f Package
Feb 09, 2012 - NOA1 received
May 2012 - Fourth Meeting
Aug 01, 2012 - NOA2 approved
Nov 08, 2012 - Medical at St Lukes
Nov 13-15, 2012 - Sputum Smear (NEGATIVE)
Jan 15, 2013 - Sputum Culture (NEGATIVE), PASSED
Jan 28, 2013 - Visa Interview PASSED
Feb 01, 2013- Visa On Hand

AOS

May 31, 2013 (Day 0) - AOS Package Sent
June 10, 2013 (Day 10) - Received E-Notification for AOS, EAD and AP
June 14, 2013 (Day 14) - Received NOA1 via mail
June 15, 2013 (Day 15) - Received Biometric Appointment
July 02, 2013 (Day 32) - Biometrics done
July 23, 2013 (Day 53) - USCIS Website AOS status from "Acceptance" to "Testing and Interview"

July 30, 2013 (Day 60) - USCIS Website AOS status Testing and Interview - August 29, 2013

July 31, 2013 (Day 61) - Received NOA mail for Interview

August 06, 2013 (Day 67) - USCIS Website EAD status "Card Production"

- USCIS Website AP status "Post Decision Activity - Approved Application"

August 13, 2013 (Day 74) - USCIS website EAD status " Card Mailed to the address on file"

August 17, 2013 (Day 78) - EAD/AP card on hand

August 29, 2013 (Day 90) - Interview Day @ 10:15am

- Green Card Production

Filed: Timeline

A red flag does not mean 'automatic denial'. It just means it's a red flag. When the USCIS looks at your petition for ROC, they care about two things only:

1. Is the marriage bona fide? and,

2. Are you otherwise eligible (filed taxes, not committed felonies etc.)

If those two are true, ROC will be approved and your 10 year green card production ordered.

In determining a bona fide marriage, they do look at whether you've been living together or not. However, they also know that some coupled may have to live apart for certain amounts of time. If you do end up going to Florida, it might make ROC more difficult, but a bona fide marriage can still be shown if you have 1. a reasonable reason for moving, 2. can show that it's temporary physical separation, 3. that you keep in touch on a regular basis, and 4. can show that you are contributing to the household (still splitting bills etc). You're not dooming yourselves, you just raise the burden of proof.

Edited by jaycali

Hi everyone! I just want to ask if it is possible if I can work out of state. I currently live here in California, no job yet, but I have a job offer in Florida as a nurse in the hospital. I want to accept the offer but what worries me is that I have a conditional green card (permanent resident) for 2 years and I acquired it thru marriage. What worries me if this will give me a red flag when I remove my conditional status and apply for 10 years green card. I will be away to my husband, and work there about a year and come back afterwards. Is this possible? Anyone who tried this? Thank u for your replies.

Huge gigantic red flags for sure! You just got here and want to move to the farthest state from California? I am not saying that you came here and are committing visa fraud but what do you think the ROC people are going to suspect? I mean seriosuly. If I were the official looking over your ROC I would be highly suspicious...just saying. I mean there have to be nursing jobs available closer to home? Does your new husband want you to go all the way across the country to "help him pay the bills". I know this is kind of common in the Philippines but net here in the US so much. I know I would not want my wife to leave, that's for sure. I wish you the best.

Aloha Ke Akua

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Huge gigantic red flags for sure! You just got here and want to move to the farthest state from California? I am not saying that you came here and are committing visa fraud but what do you think the ROC people are going to suspect? I mean seriosuly. If I were the official looking over your ROC I would be highly suspicious...just saying. I mean there have to be nursing jobs available closer to home? Does your new husband want you to go all the way across the country to "help him pay the bills". I know this is kind of common in the Philippines but net here in the US so much. I know I would not want my wife to leave, that's for sure. I wish you the best.

Aloha Ke Akua

I completely disagree with you.

While living apart is a red flag, it by itself is not conclusive that there is fraud.

Lots of Americans go to work in other cities.

My brother works in Oxnard and his wife lives in Orange County. He spends his workweek in Oxnard and his weekend in OC.

My friend moved to NYC for a temporary 1 year job. His wife stayed in San Diego.

All of them are US citizens. Only my brother is an immigrant. The other 3 were born in the US.

Edited by aaron2020

I completely disagree with you.

While living apart is a red flag, it by itself is not conclusive that there is fraud.

Lots of Americans go to work in other cities.

My brother works in Oxnard and his wife lives in Orange County. He spends his workweek in Oxnard and his weekend in OC.

My friend moved to NYC for a temporary 1 year job. His wife stayed in San Diego.

All of them are US citizens. Only my brother is an immigrant. The other 3 were born in the US.

Well we will have to agree to disagree. I never said it would prove fraud. I did not say that. What I said if you read my post was this would send up red flags. And by the way, Oxnard and Orange County are very different from California and Florida....don't you think?? I highly doubt that getting a job in Florida will afford them the opportunity to fly coast to coast every weekend. And by the way, you have to remember that these two may not compare to your friend who took a job in NYC...we are talking here about a brand new immigrant that just got to the US that is thinking about taking a job thousands of miles away from her brand new life and marriage. Hello?????????

Aloha Ke Akua

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Well we will have to agree to disagree. I never said it would prove fraud. I did not say that. What I said if you read my post was this would send up red flags. And by the way, Oxnard and Orange County are very different from California and Florida....don't you think?? I highly doubt that getting a job in Florida will afford them the opportunity to fly coast to coast every weekend. And by the way, you have to remember that these two may not compare to your friend who took a job in NYC...we are talking here about a brand new immigrant that just got to the US that is thinking about taking a job thousands of miles away from her brand new life and marriage. Hello?????????

Aloha Ke Akua

Who said they were going to fly back and forth each weekend, why are you making stuff ups? Just because she takes a job in another state doesn't mean their marriage is a fraud, if you read her post you can see she just wants to able to contribute to the income for her family, she said it would only be for a year. Why do people always jump to conclusions here and always think the worst of every situation? SMH

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Would a Nursing job pay well enough for the air fares? 5 hour or so flight?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Who said they were going to fly back and forth each weekend, why are you making stuff ups? Just because she takes a job in another state doesn't mean their marriage is a fraud, if you read her post you can see she just wants to able to contribute to the income for her family, she said it would only be for a year. Why do people always jump to conclusions here and always think the worst of every situation? SMH

IMHO. With all due respect you need to read my first post. I NEVER SAID that their martriage was a fraud. You are making stuff up! I said the people looking at her ROC might get suspisious. I never said she was committing visa fraud. So quit making stuff up. You need to read the original post. I have not assumed anything. You have...

Aloha Ke Akua

Would a Nursing job pay well enough for the air fares? 5 hour or so flight?

Exactly!! So I think the comparison made by another poster of his friend who lives in Oxnard and his wife who lives in Orange County are like comparing apples to oranges....hahahaha

Oh and by the way. I never said they were going to fly back and forth. Read all posts before you comment without knowing what you are talking about.

Aloha Ke Akua

Edited by David & Zoila

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well it is a very very long drive so flying makes most sense.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

A red flag does not mean 'automatic denial'. It just means it's a red flag. When the USCIS looks at your petition for ROC, they care about two things only:

1. Is the marriage bona fide? and,

2. Are you otherwise eligible (filed taxes, not committed felonies etc.)

If those two are true, ROC will be approved and your 10 year green card production ordered.

In determining a bona fide marriage, they do look at whether you've been living together or not. However, they also know that some coupled may have to live apart for certain amounts of time. If you do end up going to Florida, it might make ROC more difficult, but a bona fide marriage can still be shown if you have 1. a reasonable reason for moving, 2. can show that it's temporary physical separation, 3. that you keep in touch on a regular basis, and 4. can show that you are contributing to the household (still splitting bills etc). You're not dooming yourselves, you just raise the burden of proof.

Thank you for your reply.. I just want to ask for an advice/opinion on what is the best thing to do. I haven't made any decisions yet. Honestly, my husband doesn't want the idea of me going there to work, it's okay for him if I couldn't work as a nurse here in California, But he totally understands that it is my dream to work as nurse, so going to Florida is an open option to him. He asks me to wait until 3 years and if I still can't work as a nurse here, He will let me work in Florida.

June 2008 - We Met
May 2011 - Third Meeting

AOS

July 23, 2013 (Day 53) - USCIS Website AOS status from "Acceptance" to "Testing and Interview"

July 30, 2013 (Day 60) - USCIS Website AOS status Testing and Interview - August 29, 2013

August 13, 2013 (Day 74) - USCIS website EAD status " Card Mailed to the address on file"

- Green Card Production

Timeline

Aloha Ke Akua

Thank you David and Zoila for the reply. This is the reason why I posted a question here to ask for an opinion. If you have a good job offer you will think about it and definitely ask for some opinions to others who might have ideas about it. As a wife you would want to help your husband, think of things that could help. Nobody wants to be far away with their loved ones, but if this will help you, one must make a sacrifice even for a short time. Like I said, California is now strict with foreign nurses, they require a foreign nurse to study again to become a RN here. If I go back to school here, it would be another expenses that we will think. I would rather use the money for the needs of my daughter and also our needs. I'm already a licensed RN in Florida, no need for me to study again. My husband doesn't want the idea but this is an open option to him because he totally understands that it is my dream to work as a nurse.

June 2008 - We Met
May 2011 - Third Meeting

AOS

- Green Card Production

Filed: Timeline

Can you? Sure. You're a legal permanent resident and you can live and work anywhere in the US of your choosing.

Will it be a red flag when removing conditions? Yes. Does that mean you won't be able to remove conditions? No. You'll just have a higher burden of evidence showing your marriage is bona fide. Plenty of couples temporarily live separately for certain amounts of time. As long as you can show strong evidence that your marriage is still bona fide, it shouldn't be too big of a hurdle.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.