Lexy

If all naturalization requirements met, do you have to apply for citizenship after 5 yrs?

13 posts in this topic

Or can you apply after 6 or 7 yrs?

Also, once naturalized could I still travel on my other passport from my old country?

Edited by Lexy

We met, we fell in love, we married, we live as one! And that's the way love goes...:)

You never are forced to apply for naturalization. If is always your choice.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Naturalize whenever you want once you meet the reqiuirements, or never if you don't want it. Once you are a USC you MUST use a US passport to enter and exit the country. You can use your other passport to enter and exit your home country if you'd like.

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Oh I see.

I thought it was compulsary to apply within 90 days before hitting the 5 year mark!! Else your next chance to get your citizenship would be at the 10 year mark.

Edited by Lexy

We met, we fell in love, we married, we live as one! And that's the way love goes...:)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You need to check with the rules in Australia whether they allow dual citizenship and if you are allowed to use your Australian passport once you get a US one. Like for example I am from India and it is a felony to use my Indian passport after I get US citizenship. So it defers from country to country.

As said, no one is forcing you to apply for citizenship once you're eligible. It does come with certain downsides. You can remain a green card holder for the rest of your life if you choose, just renew the card every 10 years.

I know people who still have the old green card that never expires and CIS can't force them to get a newer card with an expiration date. Every time they enter the country they get nudged to get the new card and/or to apply for citizenship, but there is no obligation either way.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Very true, once you are naturalized must have a US passport to enter the US, but can leave without it. And our DOS has 202 different sets of laws with each country they have agreements with. With the country and the place of birth they put in my wife's home country, she was forced to renew her citizenship in that home country she was born in, but left if she wanted to visit her family there.

But certain privilages in being naturalized, like if our home town decides to have a strong tax hike to build a statue for the mayor, and least she can vote no. Have no say in this matter as an LPR. For me was freedom from that I-864 say if my wife was hit by a hit and run driver and kicked off our health insurance policy because of a precondition. But maybe this will change if the republicans permit this.

And of course, as a sponsor, no more obligation to maintain the AR-11 in case we move. Yet another advantage depending on your state, with my wife's employer with a slow down, LPR's are the first to go.

But in a sense, now we have to maintain three passports, but the lesser of the evils, but in a sense, they get you one way or the other. You have to weigh this out for yourself. But it is great to be finally free of the USCIS. Seven years with a wife and a stepdaughter.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh I see.

I thought it was compulsary to apply within 90 days before hitting the 5 year mark!! Else your next chance to get your citizenship would be at the 10 year mark.

No that's the earliest you can apply. The 10 years is when you would have to renew the GC if you hadn't applied to become a citizen yet. You can apply any time you wish after that 90 days before your 5 year mark. Or as others said, never if you choose. If you never do, you'll just have to renew the GC every 10 years as that's when it will expire. That's all that 10 year thing means...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Or can you apply after 6 or 7 yrs?

Also, once naturalized could I still travel on my other passport from my old country?

Whenever you like (after the 5 year mark) as long as you continue to meet the requirements, or never.

It is the law in the US to enter and exit the US on your US passport. You will need to show your Aussie passport to the airline when you leave as a "visa" of sorts though and then again when you enter Australia and exit Australia (and US passport as the "visa") and enter the US on the US passport. Good times.

Australia has no issues with dual or multi-nationality.

Very true, once you are naturalized must have a US passport to enter the US, but can leave without it. And our DOS has 202 different sets of laws with each country they have agreements with. With the country and the place of birth they put in my wife's home country, she was forced to renew her citizenship in that home country she was born in, but left if she wanted to visit her family there.

But certain privilages in being naturalized, like if our home town decides to have a strong tax hike to build a statue for the mayor, and least she can vote no. Have no say in this matter as an LPR. For me was freedom from that I-864 say if my wife was hit by a hit and run driver and kicked off our health insurance policy because of a precondition. But maybe this will change if the republicans permit this.

And of course, as a sponsor, no more obligation to maintain the AR-11 in case we move. Yet another advantage depending on your state, with my wife's employer with a slow down, LPR's are the first to go.

But in a sense, now we have to maintain three passports, but the lesser of the evils, but in a sense, they get you one way or the other. You have to weigh this out for yourself. But it is great to be finally free of the USCIS. Seven years with a wife and a stepdaughter.

Thanks Nick D. There are certainly some advantages and disadvantages having US citizenship. A couple of disadvantages are the filing of taxes every year, inheritance tax and apparently some US citizens in German were having problems borrowing money for a house mortgage because they were US citizens and the IRS required the banks to provide information often about the finances of those US citizens. Some banks do not have that kind of system, or capability and it is costly so they just refuse loans to US citizens. That is terrible in my opinion.

No that's the earliest you can apply. The 10 years is when you would have to renew the GC if you hadn't applied to become a citizen yet. You can apply any time you wish after that 90 days before your 5 year mark. Or as others said, never if you choose. If you never do, you'll just have to renew the GC every 10 years as that's when it will expire. That's all that 10 year thing means...

Thanks Warlord, it is now much clearer. :)

Whenever you like (after the 5 year mark) as long as you continue to meet the requirements, or never.

It is the law in the US to enter and exit the US on your US passport. You will need to show your Aussie passport to the airline when you leave as a "visa" of sorts though and then again when you enter Australia and exit Australia (and US passport as the "visa") and enter the US on the US passport. Good times.

Australia has no issues with dual or multi-nationality.

Sometimes I worry about the dual citizenship. What if one day Australia changes its laws and we will have to choose which one to keep?! Hmm....

I wonder if that 5 year tax penalty still applies if you renounced the US citizenship?

You would be breaking the law if you leave without it.

Thanks newacct. It makes sense now.

Thank you Girimuthy and Shub for the replies. I appreciate your help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.