Purpled23

Older American woman Younger Algerian man

271 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

33/47 age difference. Met in 2008, and life so far hasn't thrown us any curve balls yet. Honestly, we are two peas in a pod when it comes to enjoying life. He has been blessed with a great job and people who adore him. We are making a big move out West and have been looking at properties and would love to eventually own our own bed & breakfast. We are leaving tomorrow for a trip in our RV across the U.S. for three glorious weeks and hope to end up in California.

OP......Good luck with your journey, I'm sure loving mine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

mithra has the right idea....I mean, think of it this way. 20 odd years older may be OK when the petitioner is in her 40s. Fast forward 10yr and see if the young man is still with her, or if he has moved on to a woman who can give him children, or just moved on in general. Also I can speak for this. I married the first time when I was 20. I grew up over the course of the marriage and my growing up is what killed things; we do not stay the same when we enter into a union so young. Mindsets and goals and outlooks on life change. We aren't the same at age 22 as we are at 27, and so on.

In the perspective of growing up... you spoke of yourself at age 22. Now lets compair two men of different cultures. Lets start with ours. Most young men here are spoiled, coddled and don't know how to accept responsibility. Nor, would not know what to do with it if given. Some attend college, some don't. Some, very few take their studies seriously, most don't. Some if their are luckly will even learn to think for themselves, others will just process imformation given them and call it fact. Our crime rate is through the roof and it starts at adolescence and peek through the teenage years intil when they are in they're early 20's they wind up in prison because the young men over here are not mentally equiped to handle peer pressure or the pressure that descendes upon them, or the expectations that must be meet by the outside world. Adolescents mature at a much slower rate here mentally, but bodies at a much more physical rate. Now, lets take for instance men in Europe or Middle East. More hardships. Men are brought up to be the primary breadwinner of the family at a very early age. Laziness is not tolerated in work or studies. Family broke? Doesn't matter your age... your going to work. But they do it because they want to. Not because they have to. They have a different set of family values that we lack here. A honor that is completely nonexistent here. And I respect that immensely. Education. What we take for granted here they would give anything for. And there would be no slacking, or just getting by to make any passing grade. Honor and pride demands that you be the best. Now I have had the immense pleasure of meeting a lot of people that are from Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and about 16 men from my husband Moroccan soccer team and they all share the same vallues. When I compare knowing my American friends to the foreign ones I know, I can see that the American ones are a lot more immature and do not/can not take on lifes responsibilities and well as they can. They are mentally and emitionall tougher in my opinion because of their life experiences. I am not saying all... but it a very large percentage. Life experiences changes a person. It can soften some while hardening/preparing others.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I married the first time when I was 20. I grew up over the course of the marriage and my growing up is what killed things; we do not stay the same when we enter into a union so young. Mindsets and goals and outlooks on life change. We aren't the same at age 22 as we are at 27, and so on.

ITA! I'm actually friends with a couple who is going through the same thing. The girlfriend is 22, the boyfriend is 30 and the girlfriend is complaining about feeling tied down, kissing her male friend, stringing her poor boyfriend along...and the worst thing is, she doesn't even realize how wrong she's acting. And they're only eight years apart!

A lot of people actually recommend waiting until at least 25 to marry because of all the brain development still occurring before then. Not that young marriages don't work (one of my closest friends got married at 21 and is still going strong after two kids and eight years...actually today is her anniversary, gotta send her a note!) but it's just another challenge in a relationship.

Why are people so reluctant to see that significant differences can make already challenging relationships more challenging? Younes and I have different religious beliefs. Do I expect that will make our relationship more difficult? Yes. Will I be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't? Yes. Have I thought carefully about how being married to a Muslim, even a casual Muslim, will affect my life? Yes. Am I willing to work through any difficulties while acknowledging that at some point we might decide we are just too different to make it work? Yes. Why is acknowledging that something COULD be a challenge a bad thing? Forewarned is forearmed.

9/2011: Met in Morocco

12/2011: Trip to Europe together

1/2012: My trip to his hometown

11/2012: His first trip to USA

1/2014: His second trip to USA

3/2014: Married

Adjusting from a B visa

6/25/2014: Sent AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131)

6/28/2014: Package received at Chicago Lockbox

7/2/2014: Text and email notifications

7/2/2014: Checks cashed

7/8/2014: Hard copy NOAs received

7/25/2014: Biometrics appointment

7/25/2014: RFE for foreign birth certificate

7/26/2014: RFE responded to

7/30/2014: RFE response received

8/14/2014: Status changed to "Testing and Interview"

8/29/2014: EAD and AP card production ordered

9/10/2014: EAD and AP card received

9/27/2014: Interview letter received

9/29/2014: SS card applied for

10/4/2014: SS card received

10/28/2014: Interview - approved pending final background check; online status updated that night

11/1/2014: Welcome letter

11/4/2014: GC in hand

ROC

8/13/2016: Sent I-751 Package

8/15/2016: Package received at CSC

8/17/2016: Check cashed

8/19/2016: NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

ITA! I'm actually friends with a couple who is going through the same thing. The girlfriend is 22, the boyfriend is 30 and the girlfriend is complaining about feeling tied down, kissing her male friend, stringing her poor boyfriend along...and the worst thing is, she doesn't even realize how wrong she's acting. And they're only eight years apart!

A lot of people actually recommend waiting until at least 25 to marry because of all the brain development still occurring before then. Not that young marriages don't work (one of my closest friends got married at 21 and is still going strong after two kids and eight years...actually today is her anniversary, gotta send her a note!) but it's just another challenge in a relationship.

Why are people so reluctant to see that significant differences can make already challenging relationships more challenging? Younes and I have different religious beliefs. Do I expect that will make our relationship more difficult? Yes. Will I be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't? Yes. Have I thought carefully about how being married to a Muslim, even a casual Muslim, will affect my life? Yes. Am I willing to work through any difficulties while acknowledging that at some point we might decide we are just too different to make it work? Yes. Why is acknowledging that something COULD be a challenge a bad thing? Forewarned is forearmed.

I'll second the waiting to 25 plus to marry.

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Timeline

In the perspective of growing up... you spoke of yourself at age 22. Now lets compair two men of different cultures. Lets start with ours. Most young men here are spoiled, coddled and don't know how to accept responsibility. Nor, would not know what to do with it if given. Some attend college, some don't. Some, very few take their studies seriously, most don't. Some if their are luckly will even learn to think for themselves, others will just process imformation given them and call it fact. Our crime rate is through the roof and it starts at adolescence and peek through the teenage years intil when they are in they're early 20's they wind up in prison because the young men over here are not mentally equiped to handle peer pressure or the pressure that descendes upon them, or the expectations that must be meet by the outside world. Adolescents mature at a much slower rate here mentally, but bodies at a much more physical rate. Now, lets take for instance men in Europe or Middle East. More hardships. Men are brought up to be the primary breadwinner of the family at a very early age. Laziness is not tolerated in work or studies. Family broke? Doesn't matter your age... your going to work. But they do it because they want to. Not because they have to. They have a different set of family values that we lack here. A honor that is completely nonexistent here. And I respect that immensely. Education. What we take for granted here they would give anything for. And there would be no slacking, or just getting by to make any passing grade. Honor and pride demands that you be the best. Now I have had the immense pleasure of meeting a lot of people that are from Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and about 16 men from my husband Moroccan soccer team and they all share the same vallues. When I compare knowing my American friends to the foreign ones I know, I can see that the American ones are a lot more immature and do not/can not take on lifes responsibilities and well as they can. They are mentally and emitionall tougher in my opinion because of their life experiences. I am not saying all... but it a very large percentage. Life experiences changes a person. It can soften some while hardening/preparing others.

A different set of values, for sure yes. Which reaches into picking potential spouses, what their families would approve of, etc as well. I'm also not saying all, but a very large percentage. And that gets back to the root of the OPs subject.

I'm aware I spoke about myself, however someone below me gave a similar example so it it probably more common than most would care to admit. And news for you, I see that 'honor' you speak of in my stepfather every day and plenty of other men. It is only non-existent to you because you may not have experienced it yet from an American.

Edited by beccabecca

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

A different set of values, for sure yes. Which reaches into picking potential spouses, what their families would approve of, etc as well. I'm also not saying all, but a very large percentage. And that gets back to the root of the OPs subject.

I'm aware I spoke about myself, however someone below me gave a similar example so it it probably more common than most would care to admit. And news for you, I see that 'honor' you speak of in my stepfather every day and plenty of other men. It is only non-existent to you because you may not have experienced it yet from an American.

I'm sure your stepfather has honor but its a different type of honor than theirs. And I cant really adequately explainit to the fullest degree ssufficiently enough. I'm seeing from the outside in. Only one seeing from the inside out can express it. But it is unyielding, unmoving, in reflects in all manner of beliefs and living, it is never altered or changed. Honor can be so strong he will die fir his beliefs. He is unyielding in his moral convictions. The family reflects on that's honor so it is never blemished or marred in any way. The family acts accordingly in all manners of speech and dress so the family honor is not scared. Honor is not something you can get back if lost. Once someone's word is given it is as binding as a contract or your honor is lost. Your fathers honor is not the same as theirs. I hate to disagree, but its not. It might has very minor similarities, but it is not as strong. And that is my husband's version of Moroccan honor.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Timeline

One could easily argue that perception is reality which I think you have a large case of, but I'll just repeat myself by saying this honor complex it does exist OUTSIDE the MENA world. Hit us all up when you've been married that 5-7yr that Mithra mentioned and we can talk again about how amazing everything is about your MENA man and how American dudes simply pale in comparison :)

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

One could easily argue that perception is reality which I think you have a large case of, but I'll just repeat myself by saying this honor complex it does exist OUTSIDE the MENA world. Hit us all up when you've been married that 5-7yr that Mithra mentioned and we can talk again about how amazing everything is about your MENA man and how American dudes simply pale in comparison smile.png

How many single US men would be interested in a 40 year divorcee with children?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

How many single US men would be interested in a 40 year divorcee with children?

Plenty. I mean to say, plenty of the types I know who look beyond age/martial status/kids/money. There are also plenty who won't be interested as well. I guess the real question is how many 22yr old men would be...

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Successful visa issuance isn't the same as a successful marriage. What others are suggesting is that the rate of still being married after visa issuance/green card/citizenship for these relationships is very low. If your only judge of success is getting a visa then yes most are.

Seriously, is a long distance marriage clearly not successful to most of you here. Have you not read that mans story with his wife and the amount of time they have been apart, then denied, than waited again to finally be approved.

A successful marriage or relationship is based on a life commitment to one another, here or there not on a freaking visa lady. Geez

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Successful how? Because he got a visa? That's not successful. When he comes back here after he's got his citizenship and his finances in order and he's STILL with his 28 yr his senior wife, then I'll applaud his success.

His story if you have read it is very successful. They have been through the ringer for years now, and getting through that is having a successful marriage. It's all of you with the VISA picture in your vocabulary.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

His story if you have read it is very successful. They have been through the ringer for years now, and getting through that is having a successful marriage. It's all of you with the VISA picture in your vocabulary.

What you're not understanding is none of us are thinking about the visa. The true test of the strength of the relationship is after all the visa ####### is done. Sure it's hard and it's trying. However, living a real life togetherday in and day out is what separates the real success stories.

I'm not in the type of relationship we're discussing here and, quite frankly, I'd say the same thing to couples without an age gap. Our story is very different than most visajourneys here, but it was just a blip in our life together. 11 years married, soon to be three kids, life, culture, religion, love...etc. It's been hard work and I thank God all the time that we've been able to build a good life together.

event.png

Ding ding ding!

Now we've reached the "Alleged Moroccan guy talking ####### about Moroccan women" mark. These threads all follow the same trajectory.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

I'm sure your stepfather has honor but its a different type of honor than theirs. And I cant really adequately explainit to the fullest degree ssufficiently enough. I'm seeing from the outside in. Only one seeing from the inside out can express it. But it is unyielding, unmoving, in reflects in all manner of beliefs and living, it is never altered or changed. Honor can be so strong he will die fir his beliefs. He is unyielding in his moral convictions. The family reflects on that's honor so it is never blemished or marred in any way. The family acts accordingly in all manners of speech and dress so the family honor is not scared. Honor is not something you can get back if lost. Once someone's word is given it is as binding as a contract or your honor is lost. Your fathers honor is not the same as theirs. I hate to disagree, but its not. It might has very minor similarities, but it is not as strong. And that is my husband's version of Moroccan honor.

How many times have you been there, are for how long each time?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/460307-a-girl-arrived-as-k1-got-married-now-husband-refused/page-2#entry6586001

47 year old male living with his Mother imprting by the sounds of it much younger wife from PI.

Two sides to the coin.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.