Matrix56

K1 pregnant wife, no health insurance DESESPERATE! Help

73 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm not counting with Obamacare at all! I don't want to apply for welfare/ wic etc etc I just need a extra help with my wife prenatal care. I heard that the Jackson Hospital you can make some arragements according to my income and give me a good deal for my wife prenatal and postnatal care. My income is over the poverty line but right now I'm having some difficulties due to our k1 journey/wedding/AoS/new house. Honestly, this pregnancy took us completely out of guard :/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You can apply for emergency Medicaid for the pregnancy. Some hospitals also have a sliding scale fee based on your income.

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

I'm not counting with Obamacare at all! I don't want to apply for welfare/ wic etc etc I just need a extra help with my wife prenatal care. I heard that the Jackson Hospital you can make some arragements according to my income and give me a good deal for my wife prenatal and postnatal care. My income is over the poverty line but right now I'm having some difficulties due to our k1 journey/wedding/AoS/new house. Honestly, this pregnancy took us completely out of guard :/

They will go by your income. But as you said, if you could pay for a visa, wedding and new house then presumably you would on paper have enough for a new baby. Having said that, I did a Google search and found this ( I assume this is the Jackson you are referring to):

http://www.jacksonhealth.org/patients-financial-assistance.asp

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Hi guys! I've been visiting this website but this is my first time posting. Hope you can help me. My now wife came on a k1 visa back on December 2012, got married. In april we adjust her status, she already have her EAD/AP, only waiting for her GC. 2 weeks ago we found out she is 4 weeks pregnant! Even when we didn't plan it we are super happy! But I'm worry cause she doesn't have health insurance and even if I can buy her one now, noone wants to cover my wife's pregnancy expenses. We moved to florida 3 weeks ago and taking her to a private OB/GYN is $250, plus her prenatal vitamins and other test and blood works, is just too much money!! I read that I cannot apply for medical/financial aid for her cause I signed an I864, but I made a few calls and a lady told me I can apply for her madicaid cause it has nothing to do with her immigrations status (she told me something that I'm not asking for federal help but statal aid). Somebody please clear this point to me cause I'm pretty confuse! Some advice please! I'm desesperate!

no pregnant women is denied health insurance nor medical attention. apply to medicaid and take her to a clinic. First comes her health and the baby...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline
Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys! I've been visiting this website but this is my first time posting. Hope you can help me. My now wife came on a k1 visa back on December 2012, got married. In april we adjust her status, she already have her EAD/AP, only waiting for her GC. 2 weeks ago we found out she is 4 weeks pregnant! Even when we didn't plan it we are super happy! But I'm worry cause she doesn't have health insurance and even if I can buy her one now, noone wants to cover my wife's pregnancy expenses. We moved to florida 3 weeks ago and taking her to a private OB/GYN is $250, plus her prenatal vitamins and other test and blood works, is just too much money!! I read that I cannot apply for medical/financial aid for her cause I signed an I864, but I made a few calls and a lady told me I can apply for her madicaid cause it has nothing to do with her immigrations status (she told me something that I'm not asking for federal help but statal aid). Somebody please clear this point to me cause I'm pretty confuse! Some advice please! I'm desesperate!

1. The I-864 only takes effect when she becomes a permanent resident. So until she gets her GC, you don't need to worry about the I-864. (How close is she to getting GC?)

2. The I-864 does not prevent her from applying for Medicaid, if she is eligible under the rules of that state. (She did not sign the I-864; she has no obligations.) However, the I-864 means that you (the sponsor) may be liable for the costs and the government can sue you (as well as any joint sponsors) to recover the costs.

Edited by newacct

Filed: Timeline

yes I can but they dont cover my wife pregnancy, cause is a "preexistance condition". In order to cover her pregnancy expenses I should added her at least 8 month before her pregnancy

Pregnancy cannot be considered a pre-existing condition for employer plans. You should look into it:

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Pregnancy cannot be considered a pre-existing condition for employer plans. You should look into it:

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

The way they get around this is having "waiting periods". So while it IS covered technically, you're not past the waiting period so you can't have access to it :S

----

OP - State aid is not means-tested benefit. Means-tested benefits are what you MAY end up having to repay to the government if you use them. Some state programs (which you should look into) won't affect the I-864. That said, your other issue may be that you earn too much. We also "earn too much" but we still have debt.. it just isn't taken into consideration when applying for benefits.

yes I can but they dont cover my wife pregnancy, cause is a "preexistance condition". In order to cover her pregnancy expenses I should added her at least 8 month before her pregnancy

Not possible. Pregnancy as pre-existing condition has been excluded for years and years.

Are there illnesses or injuries that cannot be subject to a preexisting condition exclusion?

Yes, as follows:

• Pregnancy, even if the woman had no prior coverage before enrolling in her current employer's plan.
  • Conditions present in a newborn or a child under 18 who is adopted or placed for adoption (even if the adoption is not yet final), as long as the child is enrolled in health coverage within 30 days of birth, adoption, or placement for adoption. In addition, the child must not have a subsequent, significant break in coverage (defined as 63 days). For instance, a significant break might occur if a parent lost his job and health coverage for himself and his family shortly after a child’s birth. This break will be discussed below.
  • Genetic information. For example, if a woman is found to have a gene indicating she is at a higher risk for breast cancer, she cannot be denied coverage if there is no diagnosis of the disease.

The way they get around this is having "waiting periods". So while it IS covered technically, you're not past the waiting period so you can't have access to it :S

----

OP - State aid is not means-tested benefit. Means-tested benefits are what you MAY end up having to repay to the government if you use them. Some state programs (which you should look into) won't affect the I-864. That said, your other issue may be that you earn too much. We also "earn too much" but we still have debt.. it just isn't taken into consideration when applying for benefits.

If he is already enrolled in the health plan and they offer spouse coverage there is no, none, zero possible way that they can exclude his spouse due to pregnancy

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Not possible. Pregnancy as pre-existing condition has been excluded for years and years.

Are there illnesses or injuries that cannot be subject to a preexisting condition exclusion?

Yes, as follows:

• Pregnancy, even if the woman had no prior coverage before enrolling in her current employer's plan.
  • Conditions present in a newborn or a child under 18 who is adopted or placed for adoption (even if the adoption is not yet final), as long as the child is enrolled in health coverage within 30 days of birth, adoption, or placement for adoption. In addition, the child must not have a subsequent, significant break in coverage (defined as 63 days). For instance, a significant break might occur if a parent lost his job and health coverage for himself and his family shortly after a child’s birth. This break will be discussed below.
  • Genetic information. For example, if a woman is found to have a gene indicating she is at a higher risk for breast cancer, she cannot be denied coverage if there is no diagnosis of the disease.

If he is already enrolled in the health plan and they offer spouse coverage there is no, none, zero possible way that they can exclude his spouse due to pregnancy

In my case, I'm 4 month pregnant and my husband added as soon as we got married, but HUMANA made it very very clear that if I wanted them to cover my pregnancy expenses I need to respect the period wait, 6 month. If I got pregnant before that time, they can only paid for my delivery. And a friend of mine is dealing with a situation like the OP is going through and none of the health insurance she had talk to, wants to cover her pregnancy. ALL of the them has a period wait. Thank God our baby was completely planned, so we wait more than a year to get pregnant, saved enough money, and have everything prepared to received our child

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

sveta due date is first week feburary and I also found no insurance pplans that would accept her pregnancy. however I found a ob/gyn office that had a ob plan that included everything but hospital fee ( all meds, office visits, lab even if need see an outside doctor ) for 3800 flat and the only hospital the office uses told us the hospital fee was 3-4k

Really? usually when it is employer group plans, pregnancy cannot be seen as a pre-existing condition and hence coverage cannot be denied. I thought it was against federal law from my understanding. Read the handbook or whatever from the health insurance company and read it carefully. There are exceptions. I'm pregnant and also on my husbands health insurance plan and I went and read about it and other stuff. That's what almost all plans said. Both my company and his. We went with his because I will be on FMLA and I wasn't sure if I would still have my plan then.

http://www.insure.com/articles/healthinsurancefaq/pregnancy-pre-existing-condition-health-plan.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.