pingpong32256

k1 visa driver license only 3 months

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi, All:

My wife( she got K1 and we got married last month) got her driver license in FL, but only for three months.( the tax collect office clerk issued). no matter how we explained, clerk insisted when my wife get green card to renew. the problem is : it takes more than 4 months to get green card. there is gap between that. anybody has experience to share?

Thank!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

sorry, that's just the way it rolls.

otoh - what are the licensing requirements in yer state, for driving a 49.5 CC (or lower) scooter/moped?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Hi, All:

My wife( she got K1 and we got married last month) got her driver license in FL, but only for three months.( the tax collect office clerk issued). no matter how we explained, clerk insisted when my wife get green card to renew. the problem is : it takes more than 4 months to get green card. there is gap between that. anybody has experience to share?

Thank!

They just changed our law here and it sounds very similar to yours. Here, they can no longer issue a valid government ID or license valid longer than your status. Since you enter the US on a 90 day K-1 that is all the license can be valid for. Once you get your green card you then renew the license which should be updated with an expiration fitting that time frame.

FILE FOR K-1 Adjustment of Status Removal of Conditions

January 31.2010 - Met Online April 10, 2014 - Mailed in I-485 + I-765 March 19, 2016 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

February 20, 2011 - Met in Person April 14, 2014 - Forms arrived at Chicago Lockbox March 23, 2016 - I-751 arrived at CSC

July 28, 2012 - Engaged April 17, 2014 - Acceptance email arrived stating case forwarded to NBC March 23, 2016 - NOA1 Date (received March 28)

February 5, 2013 - Mailed I-129F to Lewisville, TX April 27, 2014 - Received letter for Biometrics appointment April 20, 2016 - Biometrics scheduled (incomplete due to dry cracked skin)

February 6, 2013 - USPS Receipt/Delivered I-129F April 28, 2014 - Received Acceptance NOA1 hard copies for AOS and EAD May 13, 2016 - Walk in Biometrics Completed

February 8, 2013 - NOA1 Notice Date May 12, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment Done September 27, 2016 - ROC Approved (Checked status via website w/receipt #)

February 11, 2013 - Bank shows check cashed today May 15, 2014 - Interview Schedule Letter (received May 17, 2014) October 6, 2016 - Card Arrived

February 11, 2013 - E-Mail Notification of Case Acceptance and June 5, 2014 - Interview Scheduled at Local office 8:15 a.m.

Case Number (Routed to California Service Center) June 11, 2014 - USCIS Status updated to show Greencard in the mail

February 12, 2013 - E Mail Notification of Alien Registration Number Change w/USPS tracking showing it scheduled to arrive

February 15, 2013 - Hard Copy NOA1 received June 14, 2014

June 5, 2013 - Email notice of RFE June 13, 2014 - GreenCard arrived

June 6, 2013 - RFE postmarked

June 10, 2013 - RFE arrived in the mail

June 11, 2013 - RFE mailed back Express USPS

June 12, 2013 - RFE received @ CSC / USCIS website updated to reflect this

June 20, 2013 - I-129F Approved

June 24, 2013 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received

June 28, 2013 - NVC Assigned Case Number

July 2, 2013 - NVC shipped case to London

July 9, 2013 - London Received Case File

July 13, 2013 - Packet 3 Instructions Received

July 17, 2013 - Packet 3 Forms Mailed (Except DS-2001)

July 30, 2013 - DS-2001 sent (arrived July 31)

July 30, 2013 - Medical Scheduled (and completed w/no issues)

August 5th - Medical Results Logged in

August 8th - DS-2001 Logged in

August 20, 2013 - Interview Date Set

September 17, 2013 - Interview at 8:00 a.m. (APPROVED)

Waiting for VISA...

September 25, 2013 - Visa Delivered

October 8, 2013 - POE Las Vegas, NV

October 11, 2013 - Married

October 13th - HOME

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Have you tried asking them if they would accept her EAD as proof that she's legally present in the US, although her i-94 is expired? She could probably have it renewed until the expiration of the EAD, if that was the case.

Edited by a+j

- I am the beneficiary -

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Same here in California, they do not issue DL with a validity beyond the authorized stay, i.e. the validity of the I-94, or the validity of EAD or green card. I only went to the DMV after I got my EAD, drove with my German license until then.

06-13-2012 - I-129F sent

10-11-2012 - NOA2

01-09-2013 - Interview (approved)

01-18-2013 - Visa received by DHL

-------------------------------------------------

02-21-2013 - One-way-flight to San Diego

03-22-2013 - Wedding

04-16-2013 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent

07-26-2013 - Green Card approved

05-11-2015 - I-751 sent

08-12-2015 - ROC Approved

05-14-2016 - N-400 sent

05-17-2016 - NOA1

06-10-2016 - Biometrics

12-16-2015 - Interview

418 days (1 year, 1 month and 23 days) from Sending out I-129F to Green Card in Hand

K1 Process: 219 days from Sending out I-129F to K1 Visa in Hand

AOS Process: 111 days from Sending out I-485 to Green Card in Hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Try getting it renewed with the EAD to bridge the gap between the I-94 expiring and receiving the green card. A lot of states will accept the EAD for a license/state ID.

~Moving from K-1 Process to Moving Here and Your New Life in America- topic not really about any specific immigration procedure ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

In AZ we renewed on the I797, till the green card arrived, then renewed again. All states are moving to enhanced requirements, you are lucky to moved fast on the Social and DL issues. Good luck on the renewal.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Try getting it renewed with the EAD to bridge the gap between the I-94 expiring and receiving the green card. A lot of states will accept the EAD for a license/state ID.

~Moving from K-1 Process to Moving Here and Your New Life in America- topic not really about any specific immigration procedure ~

Florida DMV site http://www.gathergoget.com/

Doesn't appear that they accept the EAD, it must be a green card, green card stamp, or applicant must be approved for asylum.

They're really tough, or just don't care.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi, All:

Thank!

Just an FYI... even after she gets her GC she will only get a 2 year DL.

Most states have changed the law now where they only issue lic until the validity date of the legal status in the country.

Doesn't appear that they accept the EAD, it must be a green card, green card stamp, or applicant must be approved for asylum.

Its not that they don't care its the law... they are just following the laws passed by the state.

Its not that they don't care its the law... they are just following the laws passed by the state.

I was referring to the law makers. Many states allow the EAD, or even the NOA 1 for the green card application.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Yes they do. That is how my husband got his FL state ID before he received is green card. The green card or stamp is for an immigrant, not a non-immigrant. It is listed there on the checklist from the link you posted.

Primary Identification

Gather one original or certified copy of the following documents:

• Valid employment authorization card issued by the United States Department of Homeland Security (Form I688B or I-766);

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Just an FYI... even after she gets her GC she will only get a 2 year DL.

Most states have changed the law now where they only issue lic until the validity date of the legal status in the country.

Not so. My husband was given the full 8 year ID with his 2 year green card. I have seen others from FL say they did too. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/428855-renew-my-florida-drivers-license-with-my-2-years-gc-and-i-recieved-an-8-years-drivers-license/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

K-1 is a non-immigrant visa, the work authorization is listed as ok documents to bring in the non immigrant section. Hopefully she will have EAD before her DL expires and there will be no gap.

Hi, All:

Thank!

So, her EAD should work. If the first person you talk to when you go to the DMV tells you that it doesn't, ask to talk to a supervisor. If if doesn't work, ask to talk to a supervisor of a supervisor. Don't give up until you get it. I took me to talk to 3 different persons to get mine. Here is the link to my DMV adventure: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/432318-driving-licence-in-washington-dc/?p=6250749

If you come close to the expiration and there is no EAD in sight, try going back and bringing the NOA1 for the GC. You never know. But you should expect to be told "no" several times, and to have to talk to a supervisor too.

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Yes they do. That is how my husband got his FL state ID before he received is green card. The green card or stamp is for an immigrant, not a non-immigrant. It is listed there on the checklist from the link you posted.

Primary Identification

Gather one original or certified copy of the following documents:

• Valid employment authorization card issued by the United States Department of Homeland Security (Form I688B or I-766);

K-1 is a non-immigrant visa, the work authorization is listed as ok documents to bring in the non immigrant section. Hopefully she will have EAD before her DL expires and there will be no gap.

So, her EAD should work. If the first person you talk to when you go to the DMV tells you that it doesn't, ask to talk to a supervisor. If if doesn't work, ask to talk to a supervisor of a supervisor. Don't give up until you get it. I took me to talk to 3 different persons to get mine. Here is the link to my DMV adventure: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/432318-driving-licence-in-washington-dc/?p=6250749

If you come close to the expiration and there is no EAD in sight, try going back and bringing the NOA1 for the GC. You never know. But you should expect to be told "no" several times, and to have to talk to a supervisor too.

I should have thought to select non-immigrant for the K-1 on the link blush.png

I thought is was a little harsh to make K-1's wait for the greencard. A PDF document on the requirements would be nice to help when some DMV worker doesn't know the law though. I suppose you could always print the Gather Go get page though. I was happy the workers at our local DMV were well aware of the laws of our state and everything went smoothly. In Minnesota they add an immigration check date to the license, before which we needed to show up with her green card or have the license go invalid. It was based on the EAD expiration. When she got her green card we ran down and updated them, and they issued a new license card at no cost.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I should have thought to select non-immigrant for the K-1 on the link blush.png

I thought is was a little harsh to make K-1's wait for the greencard. A PDF document on the requirements would be nice to help when some DMV worker doesn't know the law though. I suppose you could always print the Gather Go get page though. I was happy the workers at our local DMV were well aware of the laws of our state and everything went smoothly. In Minnesota they add an immigration check date to the license, before which we needed to show up with her green card or have the license go invalid. It was based on the EAD expiration. When she got her green card we ran down and updated them, and they issued a new license card at no cost.

It would be nice. But they would probably still make you wait an hour to talk to a supervisor. After telling you "I don't care what you bring madam, you could have made that up, I am telling you this is the only solution"... wanna bet? :P

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.