CaroSL

Driving Licence in Washington DC

1 post in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello All,

I just got my Driving Licence today, I thought I would share as it may help some.

I brough:

My french Driving Licence

My Passport with my K-1 visa in it and my I-94 attached,

Notice of Action from the USCIS stating the were accepting my I-485 application (and in doubt, the appointment paper from biometrics that has been signed by the officer the day of my biometrics... but I don't think they looked at that really)

A proof of residency: my lease

My social security card

I also had a mariage certificate to reflect name change but they didn't ask me for this as my social security card already has my new name.

They made me take the knowledge test only. (I think this depends on what country issued your driving licence, and what state you live in I suppose, but from what I read, it is what is usually happening)

I don't have my green card yet, or my EAD/AP, and my driving licence is valid for 6 months.

Now, I had to argue for this. The women in charge of issuing the driving licence wanted to give me one with the same expiration date as my K-1 visa (not even as my I-94, which would have actually have been worse for me but which would have made more sense too...), even though I brough the NOA for the I-485 (aka GC application)

I told her it didn't make sense as I could wait about 1 year to get my green card, so that wouldn't make sense that I'd be able to drive only for 3 months... I asked if I could come back with my EAD to have a DL with the same expiration date as the EAD. She told be no, then I asked to speak to a manager.

The manager looked at my visa, took a list of what she had to ask for in my case, and asked me for my notice of action. She wanted to give a DL with an expiration date that was the same as my visa, but that I could come back with the employment card and get a new expiration date. I said ok. She didn't know what to do with my NOA so ask her manager. He told her to give me 6 months validity (at last!). So this is what I got.

So don't let them fool you, be patient, calm, try to connect (it really helps)!

Also, check everything carefully, they printed a DL with a one month expiration date instead of 6. I saw it immediatly, they reprinted one.

Good luck!

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.