Nymphadora

My husband passed away, will I loose my green card?

29 posts in this topic

My husband passed away last week after a long battle against severe leukemia.

We got married on 24th of July 2012, so we didn't even get to stay married for a whole year.

I want to stay in the US, but do I have to apply for a green card again?

Or will I just loose it now since he passed?

I hope your answers will ease my mind. I need to know what to do.

Thank you

First, my condolences for the loss of your husband.

As for the GC, you won't lose it as a result of your husband/sponsor's death.

I'm sure somebody who knows more will chime in, but I believe that you will need to remove conditions. And then it stands to reason that after 3 years as a GC holder, you will be eligible for citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

You won't lose it, I think as a widow of a USC you still can remove conditions in 2 years. But I think you have to notify the USCIS of your husband recent death (please somebody correct if Im wrong). Besides that I'm so sorry for your lost dear, as a vj member and speaking for our community, we're here for you.

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

You won't lose it, I think as a widow of a USC you still can remove conditions in 2 years. But I think you have to notify the USCIS of your husband recent death (please somebody correct if Im wrong). Besides that I'm so sorry for your lost dear, as a vj member and speaking for our community, we're here for you.

Thank you everyone.

Yes, please, somebody help me figure out what to do.

How soon do I have to contact USCIS or do they contact me?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Thank you everyone.

Yes, please, somebody help me figure out what to do.

I'm not quite sure dear that's why I wrote (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) I read a topic 2 years ago about a similar situation and one of the vj member adviced her that. Wait a lil bit to see if some other member can help us

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

There is a for I-360 for widows of US citizens, but I believe rthat's to get a greencard not to remove conditions, but it may apply to you.

Read the instructions.

Link

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

yup yup - i echo Jim's stuff here.

yer first green card date (the 2 year card) started on 2012-11-07

and 'death of a primary sponser'

during that 2 year cycle

is one of the reasons to file the Removal of Conditions paperwork, I-751 ..

No one is going to take your current card away from you or remove you from the USA.... go easy, be relaxed, la.

That 'contact' will be the filing of the I-751 - no need to send seperate letter or use a telephone - simply file the ROC set.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

yup yup - i echo Jim's stuff here.

yer first green card date (the 2 year card) started on 2012-11-07

and 'death of a primary sponser'

during that 2 year cycle

is one of the reasons to file the Removal of Conditions paperwork, I-751 ..

No one is going to take your current card away from you or remove you from the USA.... go easy, be relaxed, la.

That 'contact' will be the filing of the I-751 - no need to send seperate letter or use a telephone - simply file the ROC set.

Thank you so much for your help!

That was a relief.

So, from what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

So, I don't have to do this right away? Can I wait a couple of months, and then file the form? I know I have to do it before my card expires, but is it unwise to wait? Does it matter?

(Since the filling fee is almost 600USD I need time to get money...)

Speaking of that, do I have to redo my biometrics? I already did them when we filed for the green card. Is that not valid anymore?

And do I have to attach more evidence to prove our marriage was bonafide? Can I submit the copies of the evidence we used for my green card? I won't be able to show any joint bank accounts though...

Timeline

ROC evidence is primarily focused on financial co-mingling.

You have some time to file, sure - even all the way up to the 'normal' filing block.

but

IMO, having a 10 year card earlier will be a blessing to you.

I can't recall about biometrics - so assume you'll have to get it done. No worries, if so, as you'll receive an appointment letter for where to go, when to go.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

ROC evidence is primarily focused on financial co-mingling.

You have some time to file, sure - even all the way up to the 'normal' filing block.

but

IMO, having a 10 year card earlier will be a blessing to you.

I can't recall about biometrics - so assume you'll have to get it done. No worries, if so, as you'll receive an appointment letter for where to go, when to go.

Ok, now I'm nervous again.

The thing is, that he has been really sick. I mean, REALLY sick. He has been bedridden for months and months. We did have a joint bank account at one point, but we closed it later since we weren't happy with their services. He still has had his bank account since, but I haven't been on it.

Will this be a big problem now?

Timeline

that is something that you can write about in a letter of attestation.

IMO, you probably have 4 or 5 such letters to write,

in a rebut

of

why you not have evidence of financial co-mingling plus other stuff about his illness and subsequent death.

Take a deep breath, relax, focus on one thing at a time, aye?

IMO, letters of attestation presented as rebuttals for WHY there's not a pile of evidence for financial co-mingling will overcome the lack of evidence for financial co-mingling.

But that's just my opinion, there are others. Plus it's early ! You just asked yer question today, and overtime, I sense the 'right answer' for you is going to morph into something very, very clear on the approach and 'what to do'.

Edited by Darnell

that is something that you can write about in a letter of attestation.

IMO, you probably have 4 or 5 such letters to write,

in a rebut

of

why you not have evidence of financial co-mingling plus other stuff about his illness and subsequent death.

Take a deep breath, relax, focus on one thing at a time, aye?

IMO, letters of attestation presented as rebuttals for WHY there's not a pile of evidence for financial co-mingling will overcome the lack of evidence for financial co-mingling.

But that's just my opinion, there are others. Plus it's early ! You just asked yer question today, and overtime, I sense the 'right answer' for you is going to morph into something very, very clear on the approach and 'what to do'.

Ok, thank you so much for your help and patience.

Speaking of the letters, is there a guide for people in this situation that tells what kind of letters I need to write?

I understand I need to write one to explain why we didn't have a joint bank account for so long.

And then, I guess, I have to write a letter on why we got married, and reassure them I didn't come here because he was sick. (He got diagnosed after I came here. I don't have any medical journals though, is that something they will need to see?)

I am going through some hard times right now. I will try to relax. I was as anxious last year, when we were working on the green card.

Timeline

there are probably some medical bills that contain diagnosis. as hard as that might be to review (at the moment) you'll want to chase those down,

and when writing up something about 'why he did not do this or do that' or 'why I was working at ' or 'why we not make time to redo a joint bank account' then write of the medical condition, referencing his condition and the medical bills that contain the diagnosis.

I can't give examples of letters of attestation, however, you have some time to craft the format to suit your particular need...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.