Sign in to follow this  
Christy&Nick

Work authorization for K-1visa holder

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

We just got our K-1 approved (Yeah!) and are waiting for the visa to be mailed…

I tried to figure out if / when I'll be able to start working in the US, but there seems to be some confusion about this. Here's what I understand now:

Once I've entered the US on a K-1 visa…

1. It's not legal for me to work unless I have an SSN and either an EAD or a green card.
  2. I can apply for an SSN immediately.
  3. The best way to apply for an EAD is together with the AOS application after we got married. That way it's free of charge (included in the AOS filing fee) and valid for up to 2 years.

Please confirm / correct / comment! Thank you!

Hi everyone!

I tried to figure out if / when I'll be able to start working in the US, but there seems to be some confusion about this. Here's what I understand now:

1. It's not legal for me to work unless I have an SSN and either an EAD or a green card.
  3. The best way to apply for an EAD is together with the AOS application after we got married. That way it's free of charge (included in the AOS filing fee) and valid for up to 2 years.

Correct except for #3. The EAD will be valid for 1 year and the GC will be valid for 2 years and then you file to remove the conditions on your 2 year GC. Once you have the GC the EAD does not matter any more.

Dave

Yep. Expect a few months where you cannot work. You can minimize that time (down to a minimum of 3 months ish) by marrying and applying for AOS quickly after entry. You'll have your EAD in 3 months from when you file AOS.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Hi everyone!

1) Correct, can't work until...

2) Correct. Wait at least 10 BUSINESS days after entry before applying so there is adequate time for your information to get in the system. If you wait until after you are married you can get the SS card in your married name, this is what my wife did.

3) Almost correct, EAD one year, GC two years. I would suggest applying for EAD and AP as both are free if filed with your AOS. Many have received there EAD in about 4-8 weeks, my wife had her EAD/AP combo card in about 4 weeks and had her GC in about 4 months.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy once you have your NOA2 : Click Here

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

wow really?! This is great information because it gives me more insight on a question I asked here about a week ago. Normally we had been told to skip to EAD because it takes as long and is a waste of time/money because you'll get your AOS anyways.

But thank you for this helpful thread! Now I can let my fiancee know so he can look for work sooner or let any interested companies know.

Anyways if it's free to do at the same time may as well right?

wow really?! This is great information because it gives me more insight on a question I asked here about a week ago. Normally we had been told to skip to EAD because it takes as long and is a waste of time/money because you'll get your AOS aornyways.

But thank you for this helpful thread! Now I can let my fiancee know so he can look for work sooner or let any interested companies know.

Anyways if it's free to do at the same time may as well right?

I believe you were told to skip applying for the EAD before filing for AOS because if you file for it before AOS, it will cost $380 and expire when your I-94 does. It is a waste of money. You should file for EAD and AP when you file for AOS because the fees for those forms are waived when filed with a pending I-485. The EAD you receive when filed that way is good for a year. EAD/AP takes about 2-3 months to receive after applying and the green card can take 8+ months.

This was being discussed just today in this thread> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/438421-is-it/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.