19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

(Work Authorization)

"this EAD will expire when you K-1 expires (90 days) and because of this and the wait time (>90 days) it is a waste of both time and money to bother applying"

What do you guys suggest? Should I apply for it as soon as I can so I can work in the months leading up to my wedding, or should I just wait until I'm married to save hassle? Is it really a waste of money? Is there another filing fee for this?

[November 2006] Met online on IMVU
[8th July 2010] First meeting in person (London Heathrow)
-1 month spent together-
[28th July 2010] Engaged!
[28th July 2011] My first time in America
-1 month spent together-
[July 2012] Finished School (A Levels)
[August 2012] I-129f Sent
[7th September 2012] NOA1 Received
[9th January 2013] My first winter in America
-1 month spent together-
[8th March 2013] NOA2 Received!
[6th April 2013] Letter from US Embassy in London Received!
[15th April 2013] DS Package sent off
[18th April 2013] Medical Exam
[20th April 2013] MRV Fee Paid
[22nd May 2013] Received Interview Date!
[24th June 2013] Interview! APPROVED!!
[27th June 2013] Visa Received!

[5th November 2012] AoS Package Sent
[5th August 2013] AoS Approved without Interview!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

(Work Authorization)

"this EAD will expire when you K-1 expires (90 days) and because of this and the wait time (>90 days) it is a waste of both time and money to bother applying"

What do you guys suggest? Should I apply for it as soon as I can so I can work in the months leading up to my wedding, or should I just wait until I'm married to save hassle? Is it really a waste of money? Is there another filing fee for this?

If you are coming in on K-1 you cannot apply for EAD until you apply for AOS after marriage. When you file your AOS, you should apply for your EAD/AP (it is now a combo card and is usually issued withing 3 months of USCIS receiving your AOS/AP/EAD application) with the AOS as it is included in the cost of your application.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

If you are coming in on K-1 you cannot apply for EAD until you apply for AOS after marriage. When you file your AOS, you should apply for your EAD/AP (it is now a combo card and is usually issued withing 3 months of USCIS receiving your AOS/AP/EAD application) with the AOS as it is included in the cost of your application.

Thank you! Looks like I'll be out of work for around 6 months after PoE then.. sleep.png

-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-

Technically you can apply for an EAD as soon as you arrive in the country, but as you posted, it will expire at the same time as your K1, meaning you will only be able to work for up to 3 months. Why do you say you will be out of work for 6 months? Are you not getting married for 3 months? The EAD/AP card should only take between 2 and 3 months. Mine only took 70 days from the date I applied.

Edited by Patsgal54

N-400:

Applied online - 7/4/19 

Receipt notice - 7/4/19

Biometrics - 7/25/19

Interview - 9/13/19

Oath Ceremony - 10/11/19

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Technically you can apply for an EAD as soon as you arrive in the country, but as you posted, it will expire at the same time as your K1, meaning you will only be able to work for up to 3 months. Why do you say you will be out of work for 6 months? Are you not getting married for 3 months? The EAD/AP card should only take between 2 and 3 months. Mine only took 70 days from the date I applied.

Pats, that is what I thought but someone corrected me and said USCIS is phasing that out and it must be now done with AOS for K1.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

I hadn't heard that, but I guess it would make sense. I can't believe that many people go that route.

N-400:

Applied online - 7/4/19 

Receipt notice - 7/4/19

Biometrics - 7/25/19

Interview - 9/13/19

Oath Ceremony - 10/11/19

(Work Authorization)

Don't do it. You pay $380 to file if not with the I-485. Example of timeline.

Arrive US - July 1

Apply - July 2 $380

Approved - Sept 19 (but wait for card to arrive)

Go to work - Sept 25

I-94 expires - Sept 29

Must quit job - Sept 29

Even if it was approved in 60 days, it's still September before you can work so you may only get 2-3 weeks. If any hold-ups, it may arrive after your 90 days. Not much return on your $380 investment.

Better to marry first week and apply for everything first week in the US. Then you could be approved as quickly, but not have to quit when the I-94 expires because it's based on a pending I-485, not K1 visa entry. My husband had his one-year EAD approved 72 days after stepping off the plane. (hahaha--then it was 3 years before he actually started working. But that's another story.)

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

(Work Authorization)

No that is not correct. The EAD is valid for a year from date of issue. When you apply for AOS you can apply for the EAD and AP free of charge... so there is no waste of money.

Once married and have certified copies of your marriage certificate you can file AOS.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No that is not correct. The EAD is valid for a year from date of issue. When you apply for AOS you can apply for the EAD and AP free of charge... so there is no waste of money.

Once married and have certified copies of your marriage certificate you can file AOS.

That IS correct if you apply for it before AOS. It will cost $380 and expire when the I-94 does. It is good for a year and the fee is waived IF you file for it when you file for adjustment of status.

OP> Yes, it is definitely a waste of $380. There is basically no time to even work after waiting to receive it. Just file for AOS as soon as possible and file for the EAD and AP then. Both fees for those forms will be waived when filed with the I-485.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Its totally idiotic with a K-1 to apply for EAD and pay $380 upon arrival, then turn around and apply for AOS right after you are married and not apply then when EAD and AP are F-R-E-E!

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Its totally idiotic with a K-1 to apply for EAD and pay $380 upon arrival, then turn around and apply for AOS right after you are married and not apply then when EAD and AP are F-R-E-E!

Agree, but since a K-1 is eligible to work with SSN and authorization, they have to offer a way for the K-1 to get authorization. It is not worth it at all to do it that way though. Work authorization that expires when the I-94 does is useless and no one should pay $380 for it.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Yeah we're planning to get married in September because its near to when Adam finishes his machining course and also we want the time to plan the wedding- save up a bit of money beforehand for the honeymoon etc.

-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-

Timeline

Considering it takes 2 - 4 months for the EAD card to arrive, and the I-94 is only valid for 90 days from POE... its an odds on favorite the EAD would expire before it arrives in that case.... so ..... idiotic.

what is that saying.... oh ya..... a fool and his money... :lol:

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Ok I'll apply for both after AOS smile.png

Can you do voluntary work whilst on a K1?

And can you study also?

-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

just keep in mind the price to file for adjustment of status is $1070.00 which includes application for green card, work permit, biometrics and ability to travel (advanced parole). I filed 4/19/13, had biometrics done 5/24/13 and my hubby should be getting his work permit any day now (timeline here estimates today) :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.