Indomex

Motor Voter Implementation Procedure

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I was reading about the Supreme Court decision on Motor Voter today when this question occurred to me.

What is the exact procedure by which someone who is at a DMV office to get a license is offered voter registration? Do you have to fill out a separate form by hand or do they just submit the form electronically based on verbal assent from you by just transferring the data from the license application?

I really hope its not the latter because verbal discussion can easily be misunderstood, especially when different accents are involved. I may have to contact all the counties I have lived in just to verify that no DMV employee did that for me :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It may depend on the sate. In Arkansas, I had to sign a form including organ donor and some other stuff, and had to cross out the "voter registration" bit.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

You can fill out any form there if you are US Citizen....

Don't make a "mistake" of sigining something that say you are US citizen even though you are a Green Card holder.

DMV does not care about it but you are one who need to read the form and sign it.

DMV knows that voter registration will be denied once verified if you are not US citizen....

But once you apply for US Citizen, you have a official form that say that you assumed US citizenship and you were not at the time of sigining of form. Please watch what you are offered and what you sign..... It is your responsibility not to assume US citizen if you are not.

My post is for information only NOT to judge anyone...

Edited by Deep2009

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Very important not to claim you're a USC when you are not. USCIS takes an extremely dim view on that.

I am going to register for voting and as a naturalized citizen at the Secretary of State for Michigan. That requires me to bring my certificate along (for lack of a passport yet), and they'll give me a form, make the updates to my driver's license, and that's that.

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya, the implementation varies by state.

BEST TO FIND OUT when you are at the DMV, and make certain the clerk across the counter does NOT tick the box for you, for that voting bit.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Thanks for the info all. For anyone else who wants to know about this.. It looks like the implementation does vary substantially by State. In my state, California, DMV does not send any voter registration electronically, although individuals can e-register from their own computers. At the DMV, you have to fill out a form and sign it, so less chance of immigrants getting into any trouble. However, some other states apparently do have their DMVs participate in electronic voter registration. For immigrants visiting the DMV in those states.. don't do it with a hangover. Be alert :)

And finally, if you are mistakenly e-registered by a DMV employee, the county elections office is required to send you a voter registration card by mail. So, if something like that shows up in the mail, you will know that you've been registered and you can immediately contact the county to get yourself unregistered. And then, if applying for citizenship later, have a lawyer on hand and a detailed explanation of how this was not your fault...

Boy, so many pitfalls to watch out for...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Motor Voter is very fun in Texas and Florida.

Very, Very Fun !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I recall being asking by the DMV employee if i wanted to register (Iowa). I said no thank you so I don't know whether it was just a tick box at her end or what.

Timeline

I recall being asking by the DMV employee if i wanted to register (Iowa). I said no thank you so I don't know whether it was just a tick box at her end or what.

If it was just a tick box on her end, that's scary from an immigrant perspective and the main reason motor voter worries me. I've been to the DMV to get or renew a license 3 times in 2 states (TX and CA) and for the life of me I cannot recall what documents were asked for and what forms I filled out when I was there. I vaguely remember showing my passport in TX but I cannot recall what they asked me for in CA.

I am usually pretty scrupulous about reading stuff before I sign so I don't think I would have signed any voter registration form since I always knew from day 1 in the US that only citizens can vote. And my AOS was almost 5 years after those visits and I was approved. And I don't recall receiving any voter registration cards from the county at any of the places I have lived.

I assume they check voter registration rolls for AOS applications?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If it was just a tick box on her end, that's scary from an immigrant perspective and the main reason motor voter worries me. I've been to the DMV to get or renew a license 3 times in 2 states (TX and CA) and for the life of me I cannot recall what documents were asked for and what forms I filled out when I was there. I vaguely remember showing my passport in TX but I cannot recall what they asked me for in CA.

I am usually pretty scrupulous about reading stuff before I sign so I don't think I would have signed any voter registration form since I always knew from day 1 in the US that only citizens can vote. And my AOS was almost 5 years after those visits and I was approved. And I don't recall receiving any voter registration cards from the county at any of the places I have lived.

I assume they check voter registration rolls for AOS applications?

I'm sure they check everything. Honestly, you could go crazy worrying about every little thing you may or may not have done.

I remember the voting thing relatively clearly because when she asked me I'm not sure I knew I wasn't supposed to as an LPR, but I knew I didn't WANT to :P Voting is mandatory in Australia once you turn 18. Failure to vote results in a fine (unless you give a valid reason for missing an election day/mail-in-vote) which is why when I came to the US I had to contact the Electoral Commission in Australia and tell them I was moving overseas and to remove me from the electoral roll. Once/if I move back I will have to register again and I'll need to vote again. I remember loving the idea that I actually had a CHOICE whether to enroll to vote here :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.