25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

3. Ok, he is up to date on taxes anyway, so is his sponsor.

QUASI-OFF TOPIC Someone, please explain this to me; because common sense tells me that the fraud involved in using someone else's SS# (because it's not made up... it belongs/ed to someone) has to be related to identity theft. So, even if this individual filed for taxes every year, it wouldn't count, because they are not really his taxes; they belong to this person who is neither him nor the rightful owner of that SS.

Correct?

Off-Topic2.gif OP: What Vanessa & Tony explained, is the number one rule: Do not volunteer information, but always reply truthfully when asked.

The consequences may vary because they are up to the IO. He may (or may not) have to face the music, but none of us can tell you with certainty.

Edited by Celeste & C

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

What it all comes down to is he has to tell the truth. Most likely he will be asked how he has been able to support himself in this country for so long while he was here illegally, and he is going to have to tell the truth. When it comes to lying and US immigration, lying is much worse than the consequences of telling the truth. You have not hired a lawyer, you have been relying on free consultations and that is not the way to get through a very big immigration problem. Big college debt or not, if you want your husband to remain in the US it would behoove you to spend the money and hire a QUALIFIED immigration attorney. This is a do it yourself immigration site, no one answering your questions is an attorney and is only giving advice based on what they have seen in this forum, unless someone with similar circumstances chimes in. You really really need an attorney, one hired by you, I cannot stress that enough. Good luck and keep us updated.

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

QUASI-OFF TOPIC Someone, please explain this to me; because common sense tells me that the fraud involved in using someone else's SS# (because it's not made up... it belongs/ed to someone) has to be related to identity theft. So, even if this individual filed for taxes every year, it wouldn't count, because they are not really his taxes; they belong to this person who is neither him nor the rightful owner of that SS.

Correct?

Off-Topic2.gif OP: What Vanessa & Tony explained, is the number one rule: Do not volunteer information, but always reply truthfully when asked.

The consequences may vary because they are up to the IO. He may (or may not) have to face the music, but none of us can tell you with certainty.

Your "QASI-OFF-TOPIC" has actually been my question all along. I have been told before that I don't word what I say correctly, but here you have done it for me. My assumption is that while he used a made up SSN, he did also file taxes with his ITIN which is in his name. So, for purposes of being up to date on taxes, that counts. The potential theft of identity issue is what is my biggest concern. Now, I spoke to yet another lawyer, who said we do NOT need to provide proof of filed taxes when we send in all our forms. She mentioned that the USCIS might ask for that, in which case she suggested we do hire a lawyer who could dispute the importance of requiring proof of filled taxes because as he has a sponsor who has filed taxes and is in good standing in that matter, the immigrant's finances are not a problem and should not be dissected, which can be prevented by having a lawyer dispute if the USCIS wants to dissect it.

So, like you said, we will NOT volunteer information. If we are asked, we will not lie. And we will hire a lawyer if we need one. The lawyer also mentioned that in some states, the local USCIS office might be more concerned about things than in another, so she suggested we hire a lawyer in the state that we will be living near the time of the possible interview. This means, we will hire a lawyer in NY, because we will be there in a month and a half, and there is no way this process will move fast enough that anything important will happen where we currently live.

Timeline

What it all comes down to is he has to tell the truth. Most likely he will be asked how he has been able to support himself in this country for so long while he was here illegally, and he is going to have to tell the truth. When it comes to lying and US immigration, lying is much worse than the consequences of telling the truth. You have not hired a lawyer, you have been relying on free consultations and that is not the way to get through a very big immigration problem. Big college debt or not, if you want your husband to remain in the US it would behoove you to spend the money and hire a QUALIFIED immigration attorney. This is a do it yourself immigration site, no one answering your questions is an attorney and is only giving advice based on what they have seen in this forum, unless someone with similar circumstances chimes in. You really really need an attorney, one hired by you, I cannot stress that enough. Good luck and keep us updated.

Noted. And thank you for your advice. Without a doubt, this is a very important process, so we are going to have to figure out a way to make this happen and a lawyer seems to be our best chance to get it done. As of now, we have to move to a different state in a month and a half, as I will graduate and have been hired to start in July. The question becomes whether to hire one where we currently live, or hire one where we will be living by then, because odds are all the important stuff regarding this process will happen in the new place and having a lawyer across the country might not quite do it.

I will keep you updated, if anything, I'll be the one person who posts about how to go through all this and how to handle it based on experience.

Filed: Other Timeline

Get a good immigration atty.....go to immigrate2us site.....I have read here where others have had fake ss tax payments admitted to

go to the correct SS after becoming legal, this is DIY site, here U get ideas to ask questions of attys, and a walk thru for straight0forward

uncomplicated cases..be truthful to to immigration .good luck

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Togo
Timeline

He cannot make up SSN...I think he is intentionally impersonating the real owner of the ssn card. If the number exists,that means it belongs and unique to somebody and when you key that in any government software all your information comes up.

He needs to open up to the lawyer and I there is any advice it wil be given.

May God Bless Us All In This New World.We All Have Come From Afar And We Need The Lord's Guidance For Success.

NB:I am not an Immigration Attorney, All i say here is based on my personal experiences through K-1 visa process and CR1/IR1 visa process.

Filed: Timeline

Why nobody tells that he doesnt need to submit HIS tax reports with AOS as he is not authorized to work and can not be a sponsor!!!!!! Only sponsor's taxes are being subbmited with AOS! people have previously submitted tax returns for their unathorized souposes before and then couldnt come up with documents for authorization. He should not file as a sposor but list on his biography form that he has worked and where. He does not need to submit his tax returns at all with AOS!!!!!!

I can see that SSN can be made up for work if the job doesnt really do any back grtound check or tax withdrawal but just keeps it for the records. In that case it just a numbers.

Timeline

Why nobody tells that he doesnt need to submit HIS tax reports with AOS as he is not authorized to work and can not be a sponsor!!!!!! Only sponsor's taxes are being subbmited with AOS! people have previously submitted tax returns for their unathorized souposes before and then couldnt come up with documents for authorization. He should not file as a sposor but list on his biography form that he has worked and where. He does not need to submit his tax returns at all with AOS!!!!!!

I can see that SSN can be made up for work if the job doesnt really do any back grtound check or tax withdrawal but just keeps it for the records. In that case it just a numbers.

Yes! I talked to a lawyer who said the exact same thing you said. Thank you so much for noticing this though, and bringing it up! This really made a difference and have us some peace of mind :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.