Babygyrl233

AOS Interview, have we been denied?

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

first, it's not normal for an AOS case , adjusting from a K-1 visa, to have an interview for the AOS.

An interview is needed if the casefile submitted seems scant or if there are red flags.

During the interview, one gets an opportunity to present more evidence and rebut the red flags.

Second, since you actually got pegged for an interview - you should have brought a pile of evidence with you. I think it strange that the interviewer was using rules of adjudication from a ROC case, though (these are different than just the AOS rules, fwiw)

so .. .

either lack of prep, lack of evidence, or red flags - that's why you were pegged for an interview in the first place.

As to finding out more - call the USCIS National Call Center every few days, ask for casefile status, using a telephone, getting a human.

Good Luck !

From what I know, interviews at the AOS stage are not so uncommon. We had one, and I can assure you that our file was very thick and full of very good evidence, and we had no red flags whatsoever. In fact, our AOS interview was an informal 3-minute talk just to go through the forms and to confirm our answers.

I stated he made copies. He gave it all back but didnt stamp anything or give us any papers.

Uhm, no, you stated that he collected your passports, but in any event I don't think it is so unusual that they made copies of your documents, if that is your worry. Keep us posted on the outcome. Best of luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sorry, we disagree on that one point.

Darnell, you are wrong. >50% have interviews. Mine had no red flags and was nothing but us coming in annd them ackonowledging grant of GC. No questions.

As stated, K-1s seem to have an interview around 50% of the time when AoSing. In and of itself it is not an indicator that something is amiss.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

first, it's not normal for an AOS case , adjusting from a K-1 visa, to have an interview for the AOS.

An interview is needed if the casefile submitted seems scant or if there are red flags.

Darnell,

That is not true. I have not seen the correlation between K-1 and interview. Some people get approved without, some with.

Our AOS interview consisted of us coming into the room and the guy just filling out the paperwork for approval, his question being: "How about them Eagles". That was about it.

Darnell, you are wrong. >50% have interviews. Mine had no red flags and was nothing but us coming in annd them ackonowledging grant of GC. No questions.

^^^ exactly

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

you should have brought a pile of evidence with you. I think it strange that the interviewer was using rules of adjudication from a ROC case, though (these are different than just the AOS rules, fwiw)

so .. .

either lack of prep, lack of evidence, or red flags - that's why you were pegged for an interview in the first place.

[qoute]

we did bring a bunch of evidence, we just didnt have any joint assets. When I first filed I sent more than needed evidence. So why would they red flag us in the beginning

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

During the interview, one gets an opportunity to present more evidence and rebut the red flags.

Second, since you actually got pegged for an interview - you should have brought a pile of evidence with you. I think it strange that the interviewer was using rules of adjudication from a ROC case, though (these are different than just the AOS rules, fwiw)

so .. .

As to finding out more - call the USCIS National Call Center every few days, ask for casefile status, using a telephone, getting a human™.

Good Luck !

This is not true. The facts are not with you on this one. It is quite common to get an interview for AOS from a K-1. It seems pretty random on who gets one or not, and it happens for about half of all cases. It is not only about those with red flags. I would not call half 'not normal'.

Also, the case seems scant? Everyone sends the same forms and documentation. There is no requirement for evidence of marriage other than a copy of your certified marriage certificate, so I cannot see how a 'scant' file would play a role in deciding who gets interviewed or not.

With how slow it is now for those to get approved without interview, people are actually wanting to get interviewed. They get their green cards faster that way.

My husband and I were called for an AOS interview. We had no problems with our case. The IO did not ask for any evidence at all. None. Zilch. The interview was 5 minutes long and my husband was approved on the spot. he received his green card in our mailbox 8 days later.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Just to add to the interviews for AOS from K-1 subject, as I said, it depends in part on the local USCIS office. The VJ data for those cases are pretty easy to look at.

Example 1: AOS from K-1, Sacramento, CA office -> link They all got an interview recently. I would not really say all cases around Sacramento are "scant" or have red flags...

Example 2: AOS from K-1, Newark, NJ office ->link No recent interview, cases seemed all transferred to CSC last year.

For sure it may change overtime, and some cases at some different offices either show interviews or no interviews. But for me, I would think some USCIS offices are busier than others.

I told him he was on my health insurance, we had our marriage certificate, we had pictures, copies of bills in his name. we had a lot of stuff but he only wanted to see joint assets.

Ok, that's more than what I initially understood. :)

Edited by didopage

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

From what I know, interviews at the AOS stage are not so uncommon. We had one, and I can assure you that our file was very thick and full of very good evidence, and we had no red flags whatsoever. In fact, our AOS interview was an informal 3-minute talk just to go through the forms and to confirm our answers.

Uhm, no, you stated that he collected your passports, but in any event I don't think it is so unusual that they made copies of your documents, if that is your worry. Keep us posted on the outcome. Best of luck.

I'm not going to argue with you about what I stated. Reread my original post. I'm said they made copies

Timeline

I don't think there is a point to continue. If they have not given you the paper:

a) They may still be thinking. Prepare to provide additional documentation in this case. try to open an account now.

b) They decided to deny, so you would have to prepare to re-battle. In this case I would hire attorney.

Timeline

you should have brought a pile of evidence with you. I think it strange that the interviewer was using rules of adjudication from a ROC case, though (these are different than just the AOS rules, fwiw)

so .. .

[qoute]

we did bring a bunch of evidence, we just didnt have any joint assets. When I first filed I sent more than needed evidence. So why would they red flag us in the beginning

There is primary and secondary evidence. If you don't have primary evidence, such as comingling financial resources: lease, life insurance beneficiary, joint bank account, none of the primary evidence will be able to compensate for this. Anyone can have car insurance or pics together. Co-mingling of financial resources is the only true proof. Try to get those ASAP.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So the next interview is probably the dreaded 'Fraud' interview, meaning, in your first interview they suspect that it's not a real relationship or something. THIS time, you'd better get your act together and go prepared. I also don't mean to be rude, but you said you were too lazy to add them to your account, and had no interest in doing so. That's not really a great attitude is it to have with your new spouse?

But this next interview is going to probably be fairly long, lots of questions. I would be shocked if they didn't interview you BOTH, not just him, right?

Good luck!

Well we just received another notice saying he has a second interview and it will be videotaped. We have to bring evidence well the same evidence it seems like to me.

No - not the same evidence. You are likely to be denied with the same evidence.

You need to show that you are co-mingling finances. They need to see that you are a geniune couple who have started to build a life together in the US. Open up a joint bank account or add him to your bank account. Do you have life insurance? Is he the benficary?

Expect a Stokes interview for your second interview.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.