gm33021

Is it really worth it

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Although it seems so unreasonable, the way things are...my answer to "is it really worth it" is....Is she worth it???? If she is, then you don't give up!!!! You find a way, and exhaust every means possible to achieve your goals in life. Makes me wonder how you reached your goal owning a company, while we barely meet the poverty level, and yet most of us keep hope, and if we fail one way, we try another!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

Two very good posts..i agree 100% with both. I have gone thru a feeling of guilt and uncertainty about if it is the right thing to bring my finace to the USA. I'm worrying that i will only be bringing her into a life of future hardship. 17 trillion in debt and counting..is just the start of it. I cant even recognize my own country. I know, i dont need to be preaching to the choir on this. But this is for you loved one to be together and meet what struggles may come together is very powerful...your powerful. So I decided yes its worth it for her to come because im going to fight to save my country for my future families sake.

It's time to push back, we aren't the governments kick dog, they work for YOU. Time to support each other, contacting your congressman about this CSC bs is you civic duty INMHOP.. Letting them get away with it is just embolding them.

Well, OP. I see your fiancee is Canadian, so maybe that's an option. (Great healthcare, but those winter temps will be a shocker after Miami!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's only a hard process if you make it one. You have the ability to say hey it's going to take awhile I might as well enjoy my single life while the wait is going on. In most cases you can go live in the other country until the visa is done. But I definitely see your point. A few years from now when our government has collapsed and country is in ruins it probably won't be as lengthy a process, most people will be leaving and not coming.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process to General Immigration Discussion -- topic can apply to petitioners & beneficiaries of several visa types. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

It's all about hoops and waiting. Welcome to the club my friend.

Once your Canadian fiance 'aka' future wife', gets her Green Card,she doesn't 'become an American Citizen'.

She'll be a Canadian citizen, with 'conditional permanent residency' (2 years).

It's not mandatory for her to become an an american citizen. MORE hoops if she wants to sign up for that.

We all get frustrated with the process. Keep in mind & remember why you both decided to do this.

You're in this together & we've all been there, one way or another.

Best of luck.

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png
AOS: 2012-12-28
NOA's x 2: 2012-01-04
Bio App: 2012-02-05 (Honolulu, HAWAII)
Upcoming AOS Interview (March 21) RESCHEDULED between March 28 - June 6
EAD/AP combo card: 2013-03-15
AOS interview: APRIL 16th approved
Green Card: April 25th 2013 - 2015

ROC: 2015-Jan-20
NOA: 2015-Jan-27

BIO Appt: 2015-Feb-24

Approved: 2015-May-26

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Although it seems so unreasonable, the way things are...my answer to "is it really worth it" is....Is she worth it???? If she is, then you don't give up!!!! You find a way, and exhaust every means possible to achieve your goals in life. Makes me wonder how you reached your goal owning a company, while we barely meet the poverty level, and yet most of us keep hope, and if we fail one way, we try another!

Whining helped no doubt

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I think you misunderstand the OP. My husband is obviously worth it, which is why we live together in DK, but I do really wonder about our future in America. We are very much keeping the option open of moving somewhere else when the situation changes a little.

As to the poverty line thing, that is your problem and I'm not even sure how that is possible. Without even trying in America, I can be above the poverty line and have been in the past.

Two very good posts..i agree 100% with both. I have gone thru a feeling of guilt and uncertainty about if it is the right thing to bring my finace to the USA. I'm worrying that i will only be bringing her into a life of future hardship. 17 trillion in debt and counting..is just the start of it. I cant even recognize my own country. I know, i dont need to be preaching to the choir on this. But this is for you loved one to be together and meet what struggles may come together is very powerful...your powerful. So I decided yes its worth it for her to come because im going to fight to save my country for my future families sake.

It's time to push back, we aren't the governments kick dog, they work for YOU. Time to support each other, contacting your congressman about this CSC bs is you civic duty INMHOP.. Letting them get away with it is just embolding them.

We really fought back with the immigration process, but I'm not the type who is going to tolerate BS from my government.

I do worry that our life will be harder in America and I do worry about our future. I've been feeling nothing but guilt about making him move to a country in which life will be a lot harder for him. I do think that America has more potential than the current EU nightmare going on in Europe, but in many ways we are certainly not better. I highly suspect that at some point we'll end up moving back to Scandinavia. :unsure:

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Unfortunately getting stressed about it isn't going to make it happen any quicker. As another poster suggested above now is the time to make the most of your current life. I can of course understand that for most of us going via say Cali once the six months is up i.e the "expected" time for NOA2, impatience creeps in. I'm sure I'll be the same although I'll be expecting more like 7-8 months unless they pick up the slack pretty sharpish <sigh>.

As for if the US or indeed the Eurozone is a better or worse place to live in that it used to be - who's to say. You take your opportunities as they present themselves and you make decisions on what feels right at the time. Fortune favours the brave and I think for those of us making the move to the US and our partners taking on an ex-pat and new partner - well I reckon we're brave.

Richard

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think a couple of you are mis understanding what I mean. My fiancé is definitely worth it, I wouldn't be going through the process if she wasn't. I'm not whining at all, I'm just was expressing my thoughts. Regardless what your personal political views are, because both side have they're faults. But the lack of common sense this country lacks will be its downfall. Going back to if she's worth it, I won to successful companies, I would give those up for her.

The nightmare in Europe, will send its effects over the Atlantic in the next 6-18 months. The president is making it difficult to proper here. That piece of paper they call the Constitution is being destroyed and disregarded, and rights re being taken away. Like I was expressing before, I would rather move somewhere where I know the government is going to screw you, than think I'm a free citizen with only the freedoms our forefathers fought for are taken away.

Also I'm not going on a tangent because I'm fed up of waiting. I realized that part, when I filled. I now find it sad, all of the people on this forum have to wait the decision of somebody in a cubicle to decide the fate of a life together. But it gets upsetting when I see ILLEGALS, get a path to quick immigration, ILLEGALS get financial aid assistance for college, ILLEGALS get healthcare in hospitals, meanwhile Natural born citizens stand in line and get treated like #######, just because you make a certain amount you do not get the benefit others do, and coming soon... If you don't purchase healthcare your are subject to fine. :thumbs:

Timeline

As far as owning my company, I work night and day to make it successful as it is. I'm started both my companies. Because I wanted a small piece of that American dream, but its not right when those who have the ability to work do nottingham choose too because they are given by those who work.

Timeline

It's all about hoops and waiting. Welcome to the club my friend.

Once your Canadian fiance 'aka' future wife', gets her Green Card,she doesn't 'become an American Citizen'.

She'll be a Canadian citizen, with 'conditional permanent residency' (2 years).

It's not mandatory for her to become an an american citizen. MORE hoops if she wants to sign up for that.

We all get frustrated with the process. Keep in mind & remember why you both decided to do this.

You're in this together & we've all been there, one way or another.

Best of luck.

Exactly, more conditions... The first proccess was not enough. We didnt both decide to this, you have no choice but to do this if you want to be together. This entire thing revolves around money. If you have or you don't they want it from you.

Filed: Timeline

So while waiting now 6months and 5 days since applying for a k-1 visa and is still waiting for a NOA2 approval. Is it really worth all this hassle of applying for a visa to become an American citizen? Yes I understand there is a few rotten apples that have made the process the lengthy process that it is, but mostly in genera!l 2 people fall in love and want to get married and start a life together and possibly start a family. But you a have a government employee who could care less what happens to the people and lives they are reviewing. I am an naturally born American, I own a business, I employee 10-15 in house employees and 15-20 subcontractors, I pay a boat load in taxes, because I work hard. Isnt that the American dream to become successful, prosperous,have a good life...not in today's America.... All of the illegals in America get citizenship because of a Dream Act...blah ..blah... So because they are here illegal they have the ability to skip the..but what about the fact that they are here illegally. If my fiancé decides to board a flight, properly go through customs, enters the US...and we decide to get married... We could possibly be committing immigration fraud... Maybe if she entered illegally and then we got married it would be ok? Doesn't make any sense.

Then comes the interview, so after all of the hoops and have jumped, and you have given them pretty much your first born, you go for your interview. If the consulate representative wakes up on the wrong side of the bed that morning...he/she can just say ...Um Not Approved. What makes that person god. And decides that an American naturally born citizen cannot wed his fiancé because they just didn't feel like it. ( I understand they have to make sure they don't let anyone in) but if it is a clean cut case, no arrest records on either party, more than information and documents... Why does it take 9-12 months for what seems to be a total of 2 hours of administrative work.

So is it really worth it to be an American anymore:

;You work hard, employ people, make a good living,... Just to have the government say " you make to much, and we have to give your hard earned money to these people here, who obviously can work but dont choose to, because they don't have to"

; Oh you met a special person and want to get married to them but they are not an American... So you go through the proper process set forth by the government...and it drags on and on...just to have a decision made by someone who could less, but all these ILLEGALS, can get prefered treatment to get they're citizenship. What happened to the ILLEGAL part, haven't they committed a crime, but they government tends to persecute and hassle they group of people that go through the proper guidelines set forth so everyone is on an equal playing field. :bonk:

; Now you have your K-1 visa in hand, hurry up you have 90 days to get married, thanks for allowing us so much time get married :thumbs: . Now comes 2 years of having to prove it is a real marriage...etc. Once again your future is in the hands of someone who doesn't care, so you have prove to them all of your personal details... Great now this person is like a priest whom you tell all of your personally intimate details as if the 2 weeks of training they just can determine whether it is legit or not.

The American dream is not about the dream of a better and prosperous life, it is how to work the system, and learn how to lie, cheat and steal..and if you don't want do those the government will give to you from those who bust their a$$.. So you don't have to.

At least in other countries, you know your getting mis treated by the government, but in America, where the government works for you, they actually work against you. My American dream is turning into a nightmare and maybe it's time to wake up from the nightmare and find a country where at least I know I'm getting screwed instead of a false dream.

Your frustrations are misplaced...And a jerky bit of incoherent narrative.

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.