Ronn63

2nd Senator Contact

50 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok...2nd senator contacted.

Senator Portman,

I wish to write to you regarding an urgent, (to me,) subject. I spent time in the Philippines last year, and met a lovely young lady. I have applied for an I129F, (fiancé visa,) in order to bring her here to the US. I have every intention of marrying this beautiful woman. I have contacted your peer, Sharrod Brown, but he has not seen fit to respond to me.

My petition has been sitting in the California Service Center of the USCIS since October 4th, 2012. I am past their 'goal' they have set by almost 2 weeks, but it would appear that I am still several months down in the queue. This does not fly with me. The USCIS is a self funded entity, and should have little or no problem keeping up with these requests. In one of their newsletters, they spoke of sending some of their overload to the Texas Service Center, particularly the DACA cases. While I know it is important to move the DACA cases forward, at least these children are already in the US.

This mess is causing severe financial strain on me. The money I spend to support my 'future' family overseas is money I am not spending here. It is also placing unnecessary strain on our relationship. I have not seen her since early November, 2012. When was the last time you saw your wife?

I ask that you please use any resources you have to help me, and, in turn, help all of those that are waiting to be reunited with their loved ones. Please note that the purpose of the I129F was to shorten the time couples will be apart. We are quickly being passed by all of our married friends.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Ron Irving

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Senator Portman,

I wish to write to you regarding an urgent, (to me,) subject. I spent time in the Philippines last year, and met a lovely young lady. I have applied for an I129F, (fiancé visa,) in order to bring her here to the US. I have every intention of marrying this beautiful woman. I have contacted your peer, Sharrod Brown, but he has not seen fit to respond to me.

My petition has been sitting in the California Service Center of the USCIS since October 4th, 2012. I am past their 'goal' they have set by almost 2 weeks, but it would appear that I am still several months down in the queue. This does not fly with me. The USCIS is a self funded entity, and should have little or no problem keeping up with these requests. In one of their newsletters, they spoke of sending some of their overload to the Texas Service Center, particularly the DACA cases. While I know it is important to move the DACA cases forward, at least these children are already in the US.

This mess is causing severe financial strain on me. The money I spend to support my 'future' family overseas is money I am not spending here. It is also placing unnecessary strain on our relationship. I have not seen her since early November, 2012. When was the last time you saw your wife?

I ask that you please use any resources you have to help me, and, in turn, help all of those that are waiting to be reunited with their loved ones. Please note that the purpose of the I129F was to shorten the time couples will be apart. We are quickly being passed by all of our married friends.

Kind regards,

Ron Irving

My 2 pennies? I don't think I will ever let a senator or congressman know I am talking to another senator or congressman. I want each contact to be focused on my case. Based on what I have read on these forums and based on my understanding of my congressman, I hope to only be dealing with him. I don't plan on moving to senators unless my congressman's offices proves to be an utter failure.

But I hope you have good luck. I will be keeping on eye on you here to see how you fare. Good luck, fellow traveler :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm glad you wrote that letter. A lot of people disagree and doubt that our senators and congressmen will be of no help, but nothing tried nothing done. I myself will be writing a letter as I am approaching my seven month mark and the point of a fiance visa is to bring loved ones together in a short period of time. This long wait is ridiculous...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Dont allow anyone to discourage you. You're not on this website for negative criticism, rather support and guidance. Others have done what you've done and it helped so it may work for you as well... Good luck, stand strong, and I wish you all the best. Its a free country so feel free to voice what you need at all times and pay very little attention if any to negative criticism/feedback. If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything...

Timeline

Seriously? You sent that? :unsure:

May I remind you that a congressional inquiry is just that...an inquiry. Their liaisons can get the latest status of your case. They cannot force USCIS to make a decision.

IMHO, you should be more patient during this process. You're not the first person who has waited ~ 6 months for an approved petition.

Good luck! :thumbs:

thanks for your reply. I know that I am not the only person that has waited 6 months. I am me though. And I think I've waited too long as it is. If anyone else wants to contact their representative, then go ahead. If they feel fine waiting, then that's fine too. I did what I did, and I'm not sorry.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

May I remind you that a congressional inquiry is just that...an inquiry. Their liaisons can get the latest status of your case. They cannot force USCIS to make a decision.

IMHO, you should be more patient during this process. You're not the first person who has waited ~ 6 months for an approved petition.

Well, the letter was a bit informal, but the style is fine for email contact. That statement is a decent rhetorical device, obviously intended to relate to the reader and inspire empathy, if not outrage.

I think congressional inquiries are crucial and they are a bit more than how you describe them. When someone from an elected official is contacting an agency, the agency definitely gives attention to this contact. If this happens enough, and if the congress critter gets outraged, this could prove quite effective. I worked two years as the ombudsman for the agency that handles Title IV-A programs in my state (TANF, Medicaid, Food Stamps -- though the latter is not Title IV-A). We had a good working relationship with all of the elected officials, state reps, state senators, governor, congressmen, senators, but they were also given careful attention and caused us to do more work... we were expected to give them thorough and correct responses. Maybe USCIS gets away with too much right now. They need to be reeled in. They are failing in their mandate.

I do not believe that someone is considered impatient after having waited 6 months. Especially given the black hole that all of our cases have fallen into. I also plan to start rattling cages at 6 months. I applaud each and every person who is involved enough with their own cases to try and get something done. It is through action and not complacency that we will see change. Those who continue to advocate complacency are encouraging the continuance of the status quo.

Rock on Ron and good luck :)

Timeline

Well, the letter was a bit informal, but the style is fine for email contact. That statement is a decent rhetorical device, obviously intended to relate to the reader and inspire empathy, if not outrage.

I think congressional inquiries are crucial and they are a bit more than how you describe them. When someone from an elected official is contacting an agency, the agency definitely gives attention to this contact. If this happens enough, and if the congress critter gets outraged, this could prove quite effective. I worked two years as the ombudsman for the agency that handles Title IV-A programs in my state (TANF, Medicaid, Food Stamps -- though the latter is not Title IV-A). We had a good working relationship with all of the elected officials, state reps, state senators, governor, congressmen, senators, but they were also given careful attention and caused us to do more work... we were expected to give them thorough and correct responses. Maybe USCIS gets away with too much right now. They need to be reeled in. They are failing in their mandate.

I do not believe that someone is considered impatient after having waited 6 months. Especially given the black hole that all of our cases have fallen into. I also plan to start rattling cages at 6 months. I applaud each and every person who is involved enough with their own cases to try and get something done. It is through action and not complacency that we will see change. Those who continue to advocate complacency are encouraging the continuance of the status quo.

Rock on Ron and good luck :)

Informal is us.

We wrote the congressman after several months without clearer answer we wrote to Ombudsman. They have given us the same answer wait for 60 days etc.

Honestly, we did everything. We even got expedite request approved last February 12 as well.

I realized that even we did everything at our end, after the hard work and follow through. USCIS will still work according to their system. We were depressed from 8 months to almost 10 months of waiting. We got approved on our 297 days.

Its really up to you whether you will inquire like how we did, when there are lots of people here in VJ who waited and got their NOA2 without being hurt of useless answers from above mentioned offices.

Cheer up!!!! You'll be together soon. You will not even remember the pain when NOA2 is at your hand. :star: :star: :star:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Agree! :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

It is fine although I am assuming you had all the relevant info about your case in it also. I am sure their staff will read it and start "their normal process".

Finished!

Senator Portman,

Kind regards,

Ron Irving

I'd stick to just the facts and be very objective: goal of resolving a petition within 5-6 months (whichever is the published time frame), do not forget to explicitly write the name of your spouse and the case number!!, when you filed, when you got NOA1 and calls you might have had to the CSC or other offices. The rest is just an opinion, expect perhaps the financial strain (but if you do, specify $$ and note that you can document it per request).

Finally, a paragraph explicitly defining what you want happening; "help me" is too vague and broad. For example, your want could be to have USCIS provide an estimated/specific date when your petition will be adjudicated.

Also, most representatives want a signed form that they can ask on your behalf

Timeline

I'd stick to just the facts and be very objective: goal of resolving a petition within 5-6 months (whichever is the published time frame), do not forget to explicitly write the name of your spouse and the case number!!, when you filed, when you got NOA1 and calls you might have had to the CSC or other offices. The rest is just an opinion, expect perhaps the financial strain (but if you do, specify $$ and note that you can document it per request).

Finally, a paragraph explicitly defining what you want happening; "help me" is too vague and broad. For example, your want could be to have USCIS provide an estimated/specific date when your petition will be adjudicated.

Also, most representatives want a signed form that they can ask on your behalf

I'll wait a couple of weeks to see if I get a response, then it's on to plan B. If anyone from his office responds, I will provide more information as needed.

Timeline

Good letter Ron. I also like some of the other letters I've read on here being written to elected officials. In a few weeks my fiancee and I will be beyond the 5-month goal and I intend to write my elected officials, in the hope I may get a timely response. A few months ago, I wasn't sure that the DACA legislation is what was causing the CSC slowdown, but now the writing is on the wall and it's clear what's going on.

Sadly, I also feel that the general public has no awareness of our collective suffering. I think that needs to change. I have had thoughts about trying to get a story run in the local newspaper, maybe a story on the local TV station. I have been told that I have a gift for making strong written arguments. It may seem like a small thing, but in the age of the Internet where media segments are published, it is a decent start. Nobody in the general public - friends or coworkers that I've talked to - even knows what DACA is and the problems it is causing, until I talk to them. When you step back and think about our grievances - illegal aliens being processed immediately and natural born citizens paying a considerable fee and waiting for many months on end - it is a disappointing state of affairs. Not just for me and my fiancee but for all of us. I intend to fight for my love because I told her I would go through hell for her - and that's where I'm at right now. We need to get these issues out in the public and offer solutions and ask for an accountable, if not transparent, visa process. But I will remain diplomatic and respectful, don't want to make matters worse for any of us.

Edited by Zipline

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.