rafael777

VOTER REGISTRATION MISTAKE

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I entered the US with a Tourist Visa and overstayed until 2010 when i finnally received a Green Card through Marriage.

during my illegal time, i renewed my driver's license twice, and the last time in 2005, i accidentally registered to vote.

Now, im getting ready to apply to my citizenship, and i read a story on Change.org about a woman that did the same, and she is now in deportation status.

I registered to vote, however, i never voted. Im woundering if i should reconsider this and not apply to become a citizen and just stay here with a Green Card.

If anyone know anything to this topic, let me know.

thanks

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I entered the US with a Tourist Visa and overstayed until 2010 when i finnally received a Green Card through Marriage.

during my illegal time, i renewed my driver's license twice, and the last time in 2005, i accidentally registered to vote.

Now, im getting ready to apply to my citizenship, and i read a story on Change.org about a woman that did the same, and she is now in deportation status.

I registered to vote, however, i never voted. Im woundering if i should reconsider this and not apply to become a citizen and just stay here with a Green Card.

thanks

That you never voted does not make the offense any less severe. It is not the act of voting that creates the issue so much as the fact you misrepresented yourself when you registered to vote.

Before the law, you have not 'accidentally' registered. It was deliberate, regardless of how it happened, even if you mean you did not read what you signed. Still, you signed it.

There is no requirement or presumption by the law that LPRs become citizen, which means you can keep your residence in the US as a LPR for as long as you are compliant with the conditions. Citizenship is a privilege, not a right.

If you want to seek naturalization, IMHO consider speaking to an immigration lawyer so that you can be counseled on your particular situation.

I wish you success & good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Timeline

thanks

You are screwed. Keep the green card.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hmmm. Something's not right with the 2 replies you got above for your question. I'll ask my immigration lawyer about this and get back to you.

-Liz

I am the USC.

03.04.2013 (Day 0) - Sent off I-130,I-485, I-765, I-131

03.06.2013 (Day 2) - Package received by USCIS Chicago

03.12.2013 (Day 8) - Received all 4 NOAs via text and email

03.13.2013 (Day 9) - Checks cashed

03.18.2013 (Day 14) - NOA hard copies received

03.21.2013 (Day 17) - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765 received

03.25.2013 (Day 21) - Walk in Biometrics Done (around 3pm)

04.02.2013 (Day 29) - Case Status Appeared & Updated: Testing & Interview

04.05.2013 (Day 32) - Biometrics Appointment NYC Varick St.

05.03.2013 (Day 60) - I-765 Case status appeared: Card Production

05.11.2013 (Day 68) - Employment Authorization Card in hand :)

06.06.2013 (Day 94) - Interview Scheduled for July 11. Via USCIS case status

06.08.2013 (Day 96) - NOA Initial Interview Hard Copy arrived in the mail

Timeline

Thanks everyone for the replies. so during the application for Naturalization, do they ask you about it, or do they check the counties for past voter registration? just curious. I will most likely just stay under my green card status.

The sucky thing is, Im a honest resident, paid taxes even when illegal on this Land, Give to charities often, and now have an American Wife and two american sons. it sucks that i have to be under a green card because of something done mistekenly.

Theres gotta be a way to by pass this. I will consult with an Immigration Lawyer, not closing out this topic yet. looking for more imput from other members that may know.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks everyone for the replies. so during the application for Naturalization, do they ask you about it, or do they check the counties for past voter registration? just curious. I will most likely just stay under my green card status.

Part 10. A. of the N-400, the first three questions.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-400.pdf

Timeline

this is the pettiton on Changedot org

To:

The President of the United States

The U.S. Senate

The U.S. House of Representatives

The Governor of FL

The FL State Senate

The FL State House

John Morton, Director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Howard W. Marbury, Jr., Chief Counsel of the DHS Office of Chief Counsel

Please exercise favorable prosecutorial discretion, as outlined in Director Morton's Memorandum of June 17, 2011, and terminate the removal proceedings of Yamileth Hoffman (A098-444-750); a young wife and mother, with absolutely no criminal record. Yamileth does not fall into any of the priorities of the described enforcement goals of ICE for the removal of aliens as she does not pose a danger to the national security, is not a risk to public safety, is not a recent illegal entrant, and is not a fugitive of the law. The only negative factor for Yamileth is that she, without knowledge of the election laws of the United States, registered to vote. Although Yamileth misguidedly registered to vote, she is a law-abiding individual with good moral character and family ties to the United States, as such, she deserves the favorable exercise of prosecutorial discretion.

Sincerely,

[Your name]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Please ignore the uneducated comments people have provided above when they don't know anything.

You are asked this question on the citizenship application.

You need to consult with a lawyer on this issue, but you'll be able to apply to citizenship.

You have to answer the question true, but your lawyer will guide you to write an affidavit explaining why the voter question was answered that way.

I didn't read the whole story you posted about the girl, but maybe she lied on the answer and was caught?? I'm just speculating here.

Consult a good lawyer and I think you'll be fine to apply for citizenship.

Peace!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03/01/2012 - Mailed N-400

04/11/2012 - Bio Appt

04/26/2012 - Rcvd interview letter

05/31/2012 - Interview

05/31/2012 - oath yey! I'm a USC!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Voting is open only to citizens, by registering you falsely claimed citizenship which is the worse thing you can do. It is also the one thing that is almost impossible to overturn. It is usually advised to stay with the green card because the probable outcome of this will being denied citizenship and losing your greencard. Unless immigration reform changes this I would lie low.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

thanks

What you should do is call your county's voter registrar office and have them remove your name from the voters list telling them you had registered by mistake. Maybe they can send you a letter stating you are off the list now. Second consult an immigration lawyer. This is a BIG mistake that can definitely delay if not deny your application because the USCIS will see this as a false claim to citizenship. Here is the story you were talking about http://www.change.or...ung-mother-wife Please keep us posted on what happens. This can definitely help others who are in the same situation.

Edited by FlipgalRN

Our Naturalization Journey (Detailed timeline in About Me section)

01/14/2013 Mailed N-400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox
01/18/2013 N-400 fees check cashed
01/18/2013 NOA Received (Biometrics appointment)
02/04/2013 Early Biometrics (Original date 02/14/2013)
02/07/2013 Status changed to in line for interview
02/13/2013 Received 2nd NOA (Interview scheduled)
02/15/2013 Received yellow letter from USCIS to bring DL
03/18/2013 N-400 Interview

03/20/2013 Status changed to in que for Oath ceremony
03/29/2013 Status changed to Oath ceremony scheduled and letter sent

04/01/2013 Received Oath Letter
04/09/2013 Oath Ceremony (N-400 completed in 2 months 3 weeks and 5 days)

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Gather in Texas, do not have to show either a birth certificate or a green card to get a driver's license, in Wisconsin, won't even issue one with an EAD card. And the DMV doesn't have a thing to do with voter's registration.

Voter's registration is far more lax than that, they just take your word for it, but the politicians want to change all that now with proof of US citizenship. But you do have to go out of way to register at the courthouse..

Somehow I feel that Texas is to blame. People from other very lax DMV voter's registration states had the same problem, but never came back to let us know how they made out. Feel this is an issue for a good immigration attorney.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

thanks

How did they not find out about this when you applied for AOS in 2010? Do the experts on the board know if the background checks for AOS are less extensive than the background checks for N400? In theory, you are not even eligible for LPR if you register to vote. In fact you are immediately deportable. Can you explain how this "accident" happened? Did you not fill out the form by hand and attest that you are a citizen? Or did some DMV staffer electronically affix your signature without you filling out the form by hand?

This distinction may be the only thing that can save you. After a long battle...

You have big problems.

A false claim of US citizenship is close to being the worst non-violent thing an alien can do. It makes you immediately deportable and there is no waiver available for it.

The fact that you did this eight years ago in 2005 makes it extremely difficult to pass this off as a mistake. A mistake would be, noticing it happened when you did it or shortly afterwards and then having your name removed from the electoral roll immediately, not waiting eight years until you were about to apply for citizenship to do so.

Consult with a fantastic lawyer, but since there is no waiver available then I doubt there is much they can do for you, however it never hurts to ask.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.