swiguy

Chance of wife traveling to the US after filing

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

We both live in Barcelona and filed I-130 last month (married in San Francisco in September 2011). I was hoping to get the fast track and move quickly (finish within 6 months) as we have several events to attend this summer including family weddings and births in the US. However, now I'm suspecting that this might take up the entire year to get this done, does anyone know a way we could get her a pass to travel to the US? Has anyone found a way that will allow a foreign spouse to travel during the filings?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

look up ESTA and VWP (assuming she's a Spaniard and not something else)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Lots of spouses travel to the US during the process. Spain is a VWP country so she may travel without a visa. She may be authorized to stay for the entire 90 days or possibly shorter, regardless she must leave on her departure date and not overstay

However, entrance and duration of stay is never a guarentee.

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Really? We were told by several attorneys that once the process started she could not travel to the US. We have traveled to the US on the VWP eight times together, and she always just enters with me and its never a problem....I was assuming that if you travel to the US it negates your visa process.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

No, she can travel the only difference this time will be that they will see that you've filed the I-130 and so they'll want to see more proof that she's planning on leaving. Meaning she needs to have a letter from her employment that she's coming back, apt lease, return air ticket, anything that will show that she has ties to her home country and will leave. You might try reading in the Canada forum, they'll have more ideas of what to bring to prove that she will return.

USC married to Palestinian lived in Doha, Qatar for seven years, in the USA since July 2013 with an eight year old and a two year old smile.png

USCIS - 37 days
12.13.12: Sent I-130 from abroad
12.16.12: Delivered to Chicago Lock Box
12.19.12: NOA1 - E-mail, MSC number
12.21.12: Case showed up online
01.25.13: NOA2
01.30.13: Email from USCIS - Post Decision Activity - Case sent to NVC
NVC - 28 Days
02.05.13: NVC Received
02.22.13: Case/IIN Received

AOS Track
02.26.13: AOS bill invoiced
02.27.13: Pay AOS bill
03.06.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.07.13: AOS package sent

IV Track
02.23.13: DS-3032 sent
03.03.13: DS-3032 re-sent for Supervisor Review
03.04.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.06.13: First DS-3032 accepted!
03.05.13: IV bill invoiced
03.06.13: Pay IV bill
03.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
03.07.13: IV package sent

03.11.13: AOS and IV Packages delivered to NVC
03.20.13: IV Package Accepted
03.22.13: Case complete
03.29.13: Interview scheduled - Email
04.02.13: Case left NVC
Consulate
04.04.13: Case received
04.08.13 - Medical
04.28.13 - Interview - Approved

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand
07.21.13 - POE (Washington D.C.)

Gearing up to apply for Naturalization in April 2016!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

More bad advice from attorneys. ;)

Surely she can travel.

If I were you, I'd almost be tempted to wait on her immigrating to September 2013 after your 2 years anniversary so you can get the IR1 rather than the CR1 and be done with USCIS for a long time.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

No, she can travel the only difference this time will be that they will see that you've filed the I-130 and so they'll want to see more proof that she's planning on leaving. Meaning she needs to have a letter from her employment that she's coming back, apt lease, return air ticket, anything that will show that she has ties to her home country and will leave. You might try reading in the Canada forum, they'll have more ideas of what to bring to prove that she will return.

Are you sure that CBP can see on their system that there is a pending CR1 petition when you enter through immigration ?

i was told when i entered 4 weeks ago that they cant at all.

Edited by fcat

Timeline

Are you sure that CBP can see on their system that there is a pending CR1 petition when you enter through immigration ?

i was told when i entered 4 weeks ago that they cant at all.

I've read posts on here that they can! When you say you were told, you mean told by a CBP or by a reputable source? Or from others who have also gone through the process?

USC married to Palestinian lived in Doha, Qatar for seven years, in the USA since July 2013 with an eight year old and a two year old smile.png

USCIS - 37 days
NVC - 28 Days

AOS Track

IV Track

Consulate
04.08.13 - Medical

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand

I've read posts on here that they can! When you say you were told, you mean told by a CBP or by a reputable source? Or from others who have also gone through the process?

I mean from the CBP guy when i entered, he asked why i was visiting, who i was staying with and we had a chat about my CR1 petition, i asked if he could see any details and he said no, all he can see is dates of visits, any overstays, passport details! said its nothing to do with them! which in a way it isnt.

Edited by fcat

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, for one, when you're crossing during immigration, you're supposed to bring your NOA1.

Sooooo, if you're trying to hide the fact you're in immigration, you're just being deceitful and that won't help you get approval to enter.

You may never get asked any questions at all, but the question ALWAYS came up when my husband and I traveled.

It goes like this

"Why are you coming into the US?"

"To visit with my wife"

"What are your long term plans for living situation"

BAM now you're on the topic of immigration.

oldlady.gif

Well, for one, when you're crossing during immigration, you're supposed to bring your NOA1.

Sooooo, if you're trying to hide the fact you're in immigration, you're just being deceitful and that won't help you get approval to enter.

You may never get asked any questions at all, but the question ALWAYS came up when my husband and I traveled.

It goes like this

"To visit with my wife"

Who are you actually replying to, me or the OP ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

What would be one's advice regarding this: my wife owns her apartment in the Republic of Georgia and does not need to work (and therefore does not). Her passport is Russian. Since there is no lease, and no letter from an employer possible, how difficult does this make establishing her case that she will return to Georgia if she were to visit here? I know any answer is speculative, but I'm wondering if anyone has had an experience with similar circumstances. So far I've just decided its not worth the risk of being turned away.

Edited by Brc

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

It goes like this

"To visit with my wife"

not everyone is aware that they must bring NOA1 with them when they enter the US, in fact most don't. Nowhere on the NOA1 does it say you must bring it with you. You automatically jump to conclusions with most of your answers in this forum, acting as though every single person is out to scam the government or has some ulterior motive. I am sure if this was the case with the OP they wouldn't have asked in the first place. You tone is always so condescending.

not everyone is aware that they must bring NOA1 with them when they enter the US, in fact most don't. Nowhere on the NOA1 does it say you must bring it with you. You automatically jump to conclusions with most of your answers in this forum, acting as though every single person is out to scam the government or has some ulterior motive. I am sure if this was the case with the OP they wouldn't have asked in the first place. You tone is always so condescending.

cool, i'm glad its not just me that's been reading their posts and thinking they were off!!

Timeline

I mean from the CBP guy when i entered, he asked why i was visiting, who i was staying with and we had a chat about my CR1 petition, i asked if he could see any details and he said no, all he can see is dates of visits, any overstays, passport details! said its nothing to do with them! which in a way it isnt.

Well that's news! Thanks for correcting me, and for sharing :)

I still think the potential immigrant should bring lots of ties to home country, esp if they're entering the country with their spouse.

USCIS - 37 days
NVC - 28 Days

AOS Track

IV Track

Consulate
04.08.13 - Medical

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.