Labirint

Marriage and GC problems

85 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi, guys! I have so many problems... don't even know where to start...

I arrived in U.S. over 3 years ago by tourist visa to visit my boyfriend. I planned to stay for a month then go back. I had my round trip plane tickets on hands. Our original plan was to spend some time together, then after I go back, file for fiancee visa. Few day before going back my bf asked me to stay. I stayed. Now I know it was a huge mistake but what's done is done. :(

This is what happened next:

He lost his job. I overstayed my visa. We did not get married since. Together we tried to get out from financial troubles but were not very successful at that.

We live in a very small town in Midwest. There is no jobs around here, no opportunities. Just sadness. However, we were hoping that together we could figure things out, but it never happened, unfortunately.

I tried to stay positive all these years, but now I'm getting desperate... I don't know what to do. I can't go anywhere, can't do anything. Can't find job and nobody would hire me because I am out of status. But I really want to help my bf to get back on feet. I want to find a job, support him, save some money and move to another city or state... far away from this God's forgotten place.

I thought we could at least get married but on our county website it says that we have to bring ID's and SSN's (which I don't have (SSN)). So on top of all we can't even get married. The only other option I thing would be for us is to go and get married in another state.

Moreover, we can not afford to pay fees for AOS (I-130 & I-485), can't get a bank loan because he has no official job and his credit score is very low. We survive on several hundreds of dollars a month - just enough to pay utility bills and buy some groceries. I am in hell, guys. Don't know what to do.

Please, guys help me with an advise.

- Is there any fee wavers (or something like that) for people who have very low or no income?

- Is there any other options for me to get permanent resident status?

Thank you an advance for your support and advises. (F)

Filed: Timeline
I thought we could at least get married but on our county website it says that we have to bring ID's and SSN's (which I don't have (SSN)). So on top of all we can't even get married.

I'd be surprised if this was true. The website has information for the 95% of cases; you're not in that 95%. Go down to the courthouse with your ID (passport) and other documentation; it's likely they'll be able to marry you.

Is there any fee wavers (or something like that) for people who have very low or no income?

Unfortunately, there is not. In fact, your spouse has to submit proof of being able to support you past a certain level. If your spouse cannot do that, you'll will need someone to be willing to take financial responsibility for you.

- Is there any other options for me to get permanent resident status?

Adjusting status or getting an immigrant visa are your only options. Both have similar requirements.

Good luck.

I'd be surprised if this was true. The website has information for the 95% of cases; you're not in that 95%. Go down to the courthouse with your ID (passport) and other documentation; it's likely they'll be able to marry you.

Unfortunately, there is not. In fact, your spouse has to submit proof of being able to support you past a certain level. If your spouse cannot do that, you'll will need someone to be willing to take financial responsibility for you.

Adjusting status or getting an immigrant visa are your only options. Both have similar requirements.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your quick response. (F)

I'm wondering if they reject out application for marriage license, is there some law about having right to get married without SSN? We want to go on Monday or Tuesday and take our chances in appling for marriage license. God help us! :unsure:

About AOS... We figured we could ask our relatives to help us out and become a sponsor. If not, we'll try to find other ways. I am still trying to stay positive. :blush:

Edited by Labirint

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Out of interest, where in the midwest are you? We might be able to find some services to help you (and not hurt your application for status).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We are in Missouri. What kind of services do you mean? Could you please tell me some more about them?

Thank you. (F)

Well that's just it, we can't know till we know were you are. As an illegal YOUR options are pretty limited unfortunately.

First thing to do is get married. I'm in Iowa and our county website said SSN was required as well, it wasn't.

After that, you need the money to file for your AOS. You said you have a family member who can sponsor you. That's VERY important. You might be able to get some assistance from some charity organisations to file for AOS. Most likely some sort of loan or they might be able to find people willing to help you but dont' assume that, instead you're probably going to need to borrow from family/friends. Another option is to cash in his 401K, if he has one.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

"I'd be surprised if this was true. The website has information for the 95% of cases; you're not in that 95%. Go down to the courthouse with your ID (passport) and other documentation; it's likely they'll be able to marry you.

Unfortunately, there is not. In fact, your spouse has to submit proof of being able to support you past a certain level. If your spouse cannot do that, you'll will need someone to be willing to take financial responsibility for you.Adjusting status or getting an immigrant visa are your only options. Both have similar requirements."

You are really shooting from the hip here. Bad advice all around.

You can't take a passport to any government office (Justice of the Peace) and get married. The same requirements are true for all - You must provide proof that you can legally marry - That requires government documents which she clearly cannot give because she is here illegally.

To the OP -- If you want to marry him, then he has to be the one to provide support for you. You are in love with someone who cannot support you in the eyes of the US government. He doesn't seem to have the ability, desire or determination to provide for you. He asked you to stay and you stayed, even knowing you would be breaking the law.

You are asking for a miracle when you are dealing with laws and procedures. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you need to consider going back to your country voluntarily and by doing so, if he truly is the man you think he is, you two can work out a plan where he gets a good job, earns enough money to come to your country and begin the process of a legal VISA process - It will be tricky, but don't think for a second that getting married while you are here illegally will allow you to stay. They will deport you on the next plane and you'll be banned. Don't take that risk -

event.png

were-getting-married-1.gif

Filed: Country: Serbia
Timeline

There is a federal law that says you don't have to furnish a SSN to get married if you don't have a SSN. I am positive you can get married.

Otherwise, no fee waivers or anything, and you need a qualified financial sponsor. Good luck.

Agree

Well that's just it, we can't know till we know were you are. As an illegal YOUR options are pretty limited unfortunately.

First thing to do is get married. I'm in Iowa and our county website said SSN was required as well, it wasn't.

After that, you need the money to file for your AOS. You said you have a family member who can sponsor you. That's VERY important. You might be able to get some assistance from some charity organisations to file for AOS. Most likely some sort of loan or they might be able to find people willing to help you but dont' assume that, instead you're probably going to need to borrow from family/friends. Another option is to cash in his 401K, if he has one.

Thank you for your advice. At first I figured I'd call and ask about necessity to bring SSN in order to get the marriage license. After all posts above we've decided to just go there and take our chances.

We hope our relatives would help up with sponsorship for AOS. But we don't know for sure yet. And yes, he has 401K. But they don't allow to cash it in this state. So, we pass on that option.

Anyways, thank you all for helping me with information. Thanks to you guys it seems that our situation is not that bad and we have some options to work with. :blush:

Filed: Country: Serbia
Timeline

You can't take a passport to any government office (Justice of the Peace) and get married. The same requirements are true for all - You must provide proof that you can legally marry - That requires government documents which she clearly cannot give because she is here illegally.

Partially true ! You can get in some of the county Courthouse`s depending from state to state with document that proves your identity and get married. Been talking with several people who had absolutely no problems by doing so and got married while they were out of status.

You are asking for a miracle when you are dealing with laws and procedures. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you need to consider going back to your country voluntarily and by doing so, if he truly is the man you think he is, you two can work out a plan where he gets a good job, earns enough money to come to your country and begin the process of a legal VISA process -

Good advice i`d consider it without any doubts if i`d be in your place.

It will be tricky, but don't think for a second that getting married while you are here illegally will allow you to stay. They will deport you on the next plane and you'll be banned. Don't take that risk -

Again partially true. They may deport you but they may not it all depends the way you fight it but chances to be deported are alot higher than not to be !

Anyhow i think you shouldn`t have any problems by getting married even if you are w/o ssn.

Wish you GL

Edited by Shuki

There is a federal law that says you don't have to furnish a SSN to get married if you don't have a SSN. I am positive you can get married.

Otherwise, no fee waivers or anything, and you need a qualified financial sponsor. Good luck.

Thank you. I'll google this law. You've helped me a lot. I feel more confident now. (F)

If you are talking about SSN, it's not required in all states. I suppose, it's not a federal law to have SSN in order to get married. If you meant some other docs like divorce certificates from previous marriages, we have them all.

He asked you to stay and you stayed, even knowing you would be breaking the law.

No. In fact I wasn't breaking the law. At least I wasn't going to. I had 6 months stay allowance from the custom (seal with a date in my passport). But I had plane tickets for the next month after I arrived. I didn't use them for the reason I mentioned above. We figured we could submit my paperwork during that period of time (6 mo.). But he lost job and our plans were ruined. Later I was thinking about going back (before my 6 months stay expired) but we couldn't afford new plane tickets. This is how we stuck, unfortunately.

It will be tricky, but don't think for a second that getting married while you are here illegally will allow you to stay.

I know that and I agree with you. Just get married is not enough. After that we are going to submit I-130, get NOA, then submit I-485 along with other papers (based on info from here - http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=9c8aa6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=9c8aa6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD ). Or submit all paperwork simultaneously, depending on our financial abilities or if we get some help from our family. :blush:

Edited by Labirint

Partially true ! You can get in some of the county Courthouse`s depending from state to state with document that proves your identity and get married. Been talking with several people who had absolutely no problems by doing so and got married while they were out of status.

If I am not mistaking, my passport is a form of photo ID (like any other foreign passport). It contains information about my name, birth place, date of birth, photo, etc. Hope it would be enough to proof my identity and apply for marriage license.

Thank you for support! :blush:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.