42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Honestly, i'm afraid you just encountered a (not very smart person - don't wanna swear) that doesn't know how to do his/her job and especially how to deal with the military. Your LES's should be more than enough, my husband and I only submitted 2 - and he was an E3 when we applied for AOS! Nothing says that you have to file joint taxes (except that if she's not working you'll get more $$ that way :) just be patient and send in everything they ask for, hopefully it'll be fine. Also, you can call the military hotline, and ask them about your situation, sometimes they can be helpful (although, they don't really know much).

Also, in the future, if for some reason her interview is scheduled and you can't attend id because of training, she can come by herself (I just had to do it last week) - she doesn't even need the orders if you don't have them, a memorandum from rear detachment command will suffice (I know you weren't asking that, but when I was in this situation I had to search for a looong time and call a bunch of places to find the answers)

Good luck and I'd say go Navy, but my husband wouldn't appreciate :)))) (he's in the Army)

Timeline
Well "i cant write the US government and ask for a letter of employment. I am in the United States Navy and thats what an LES shows" is extremely arrogant sounding (like you stood up all tall and puffed out your chest and expect special treatment - could just be how I read into it), but really I was just impressing upon you how important it is that you reply successfully, how you're not the only one in the military and how others have been successful so there's got to be something that will work.

Heck yeah he should expect special treatment! When is the last time this person had to wake up at 4-30 am and go to work and not be back till 7, move wherever uncle Sam told him to at little to no notice, and say goodbye to his family in order to risk his life and not be paid nearly as much as he should be?? (sorry, unnecessary vent)

do not feel to bad. we got an rfe also claiming not all papges of some things was not received and I always make 2 extra copies and know for fact was sent now only thing i can think of and the lockbox sorters might have placed a paper in wrong pile i understand they are people and we all make mistakes

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ah, well again thank you all for the great advice and support. I love this site!

06JUN12 - Forms Received by the office

07JUN12 - NOA1 Received

08JUN12 - Peek

27JUN12 - Called office to check on acceptance I-797

05AUG12 - Called about information on expedited process

06AUG12 - Submitted form for expedited process

06AUG12 - Got a notification that they needed evidence

06AUG12 - Sent evidence to the fax number provided

07AUG12 - Got a notice that evidence has not been submitted yet

07AUG12 - Called office and was told to resubmit, did so to the same fax number

08AUG12 - Still no status on approval or denial of expedite process.

09AUG12 - Called office and they said wait 15 days before calling to find out about missing RFE in mail.

27AUG12 - NAO2 Received

30AUG12 - NVC Received Package

04SEP12 - NVC Gave us MNL and Case Number

10OCT12 - Singapore Clearance sent to Embassy

19OCT12 - Interview Date ( approved )

21OCT12 - Missing Singapore clearance

20NOV12 - Visa Complete and printed at 2GO

20NOV12 - Tickets purchased

21NOV12 - Arrival in San Diego, CA

04DEC12 - Marriage!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Heck yeah he should expect special treatment! When is the last time this person had to wake up at 4-30 am and go to work and not be back till 7, move wherever uncle Sam told him to at little to no notice, and say goodbye to his family in order to risk his life and not be paid nearly as much as he should be?? (sorry, unnecessary vent)

And you are exactly the kind of person that is the reason I posted that. And exactly the kind of person my husband, who IS former military and DID do the deployments (for months, almost years, at a time), detests.

He did his job. He is proud to have done what he did, but he doesn't expect special treatment for it because it belittles the reason he did it, for his country, not for kudos and slaps on the back. I'm sorry you feel you, or other military, deserve special treatment. You deserve respect and admiration for sure, not special treatment (unless a situation warrants it - such as attending the interview solo because the military member is deployed).

**Edit - My husband, even when he had no insurance, didn't avail himself of the "free" healthcare the VA provides. He receives disability ONLY because they found it in his exit medical, not because he asked for it, and he could receive more but doesn't want to. He isn't a member of any of the American Legion or other VA clubs because he doesn't want to draw attention to himself or his service because he doesn't want people fawning all over him. One person did it while I was with him and he was highly embarrassed. He isn't a "look at me look at me you owe me your life" kinda guy.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Lets keep this civil. I think the answers have been posted and this thread has done its course. No need to make this about anything other than how to file the AOS with the RFE that was obtained. Again I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart as it is a great asset and relief to have a support group to turn to that has done this or is currently going through this. My wife and I would not be able to have dealt with this as smoothly as we have without a place like this. So I very humbly thank each and every person who has taken the time to post.

07JUN12 - NOA1 Received

08JUN12 - Peek

09AUG12 - Called office and they said wait 15 days before calling to find out about missing RFE in mail.

27AUG12 - NAO2 Received

04DEC12 - Marriage!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Actually, I do a lot of worldwide travel on a minute notice with >30 hrs without sleeping some times.. Should I expect special treatment as well? Everyone selects his own career and everything that goes with it. Each profession has its own benefits. My father is was a navy officer on the submarine being deployed 6 months at a time. He never thought he deserved special treatment..

Edited by san diego

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Lets keep this civil. I think the answers have been posted and this thread has done its course. No need to make this about anything other than how to file the AOS with the RFE that was obtained. Again I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart as it is a great asset and relief to have a support group to turn to that has done this or is currently going through this. My wife and I would not be able to have dealt with this as smoothly as we have without a place like this. So I very humbly thank each and every person who has taken the time to post.

Hey! You are from San Diego! Me too. Write me if you need help with AOS. I went through this.

Timeline

Guys, lets not bash her, she was simply saying the same thing we all think. We are all gratefull for the service that soldiers, sailors, marines, and yes even the airforce *grumble* put forth for us. Some people express that gratitude by wishing that we got more things or that we received better treatment. We should not be upset at somebody who thinks that; rather we should be upset at the people who abuse those types of people. There are many who would take the actions of those who cherish our sacrifices and would turn that to further their own selfish desires ( a person who fakes injuries to gain 100% disability ). The point is we should not be attacking somebody who is passionate about her love and devotion to our service members. I think we can all agree that the issue is those who choose to exploit that love. As i said before this is not the main purpose of this topic so please try to not edge this on further.

San Diego, if you want to help you are more than welcome to do so but I am currently deployed/not at home base. My wife could meet you with some of her friends and look over the paperwork if you wished to help. I appreciate the offer.

07JUN12 - NOA1 Received

08JUN12 - Peek

27AUG12 - NAO2 Received

04DEC12 - Marriage!!!!

Timeline

Haha thanks. I understand what you guys are saying and agree, my husband would also never apply for a free health insurance and would never apply for food stamps. And if anything, we never expect respect and admiration - I hate when soldiers brag and aren't humble about what they do (my grandpa was a World War 2 hero - refused to wear his medals, even to the victory parades).

Unfortunately, in this case "special treatment" is looking at the military documents and recognizing them and not sending them off without even understanding what they mean. Special treatment is doing your job and really looking into the case (which clearly bona fide - you must be crazy to marry the military for fraud) And the person who travels >30 hours for work, kudos to you, thank you for your service and for facing the bullets for all of us!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I will post this in the Military thread as well, but your issue has come up qite a bit (myself included)..

The LES isn't always enough, many people on here have had to get an employment record while in the Military. Often called a Proof of service letter, or Statement of Service letter and I've seen people get theirs online, or their Finance Office or even their S1s (I got mine there) depending on branch of service.

I'm having a terrible time today trying to find the old threads, but there are several in the Military section. Do a search for Proof of service, statement of service or my old posts for more details..

From K1 submission to US Citizenship- 2 years, 1 month and 2 days!

K-1 Process
• 6 MAR 2012 - I-129F packet sent via FedEx overnight •

• 7 MAR 2012 - Packet received Dallas, Texas
• 12 MAR 2012 - NOA1 (Notice by Email: routed to the CSC)
• 15 MAR 2012 - NOA1 (received Official Receipt Notice (Form I-797))
• 12 JUN 2012 - NOA2 (Notice by text message and Email)
• 23 MAR 2012 - NVC received/forwarded approved I-129F
• 25 April 2012 - Interview and Visa Approved!
• 27 APR 2012 - Collected Visa at Embassy
• 29 MAY 2012 - Arrival in US after two weeks holiday together!
*It took 46 days from NOA1 to Visa pick-up and we received our NOA2 two weeks AFTER her arrival in States!

AOS Process
• 13 JUL 2012 - I-485 packet received at USCIS
• 23 JUL 2012 - NOA I-797C received for I-485 and I-765 (we didn't do an AP)
• 10 AUG 2012 - RFE for Proof of Employment and Fed. Poverty Level/Support Requirement!(Active Duty Military but deployed last year with little taxable income to report)
• RFE Discussion--> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/382590-any-other-military-members-have-this-happen/
• 16 AUG 2012 - USCIS received my RFE document response & Biometrics completed on same day
• 21 SEP 2012 - EAD Received after a total of 6 USCIS Status updates
• 8 MAR 2013 - USCIS received our AP I-131 Travel Doc that we didn't apply for initially (bad decision)
• 26 MAR 2013 - Email Notice that AP was approved
• 03 APR 2013 - Card in hand! (9+ months from application to receipt of card)

Removal of Conditions

• Skipped with Military expedite

Citizenship N400

• 20 JAN 2014 - Packet mailed

• 02 FEB 2014 - walk-in Bio appointment

• 24 MAR 2014 - Interview

• 08 APR 2014 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.