usurper

Hammer and sickle tattoo

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey. I have a hammer and sickle tattoo on my chest and arm, and am filing for CR-1. The hammer and sickle is a symbol of communism. As you are aware, Americans do not take kindly to communists. I believe the law even goes so far as to state that communists are incapable of becoming American citizens via naturalization. I understand that during the CR-1 process you will undergo a medical exam - I am wondering if during this they will make note of the tattoo. Does anyone have experience? And are there any other steps in the journey where they might notice said tattoos?

Thank you.

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum, move at your discretion, moderators.

Edited by usurper

Part of the forms they make you fill out are statements you have to check saying you've never engaged in various sorts of obviously criminal acts, oppression, or violence advocacy. The tattoo itself isn't the issue, it's extra questioning you may face at the interview because of it. It is not illegal to be a Communist in the US. The acts I mentioned are illegal acts. So long as you have had no involvement in them you are probably OK.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Are you really a communist or did you just get a tattoo? That is the difference.

To Samantha: Tattoos can be a part of a medical, because many tattoos can reveal the person's involvement in organized crime or gangs. Covering it up is not an option.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hey. I have a hammer and sickle tattoo on my chest and arm, and am filing for CR-1. The hammer and sickle is a symbol of communism. As you are aware, Americans do not take kindly to communists. I believe the law even goes so far as to state that communists are incapable of becoming American citizens via naturalization. I understand that during the CR-1 process you will undergo a medical exam - I am wondering if during this they will make note of the tattoo. Does anyone have experience? And are there any other steps in the journey where they might notice said tattoos?

Thank you.

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum, move at your discretion, moderators.

Depending on the country, being an actual member of the Communist Party, can be a problem for the visa. Read the questions on the DS230. If none apply to you, then no worries.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Tattoos can pose an issue.

In the medical- depending on the tattoo (style, how many you have, etc-) its profiling, but its happening- "Panel physicians are asking applicants about the meaning of their tattoos and the medical personnel conducting the exam will take notes describing the tattoo. This interrogation could lead to further questions about the applicant’s possible gang affiliation and criminal history. Applicants with tattoos are also being questioned by the panel physician regarding their substance abuse history. Apparently, panel physicians are making the assumption that applicants with tattoos are more likely to do or abuse drugs. If the beneficiary admits to any drug use, Consulates will use this information against the applicant in order to deny the visa by making a substance abuse finding against them."

So if the Dr sees your tattooed hes going to profile you as a potential drug user and question you more heavily about if you have a drug history. For the OP, if he sees the tattoo, he may make a note of it and the CO may question you about it.

You may be denied a visa if the CO feels your tattoo means you have communist ties or gang ties. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303933404577505192265987100.html

Later on the tattoo can be an issue in a joint interview with your spouse if youre asked about it and you and your spouse have varying answers about if you have any tattoos and what they mean.

I think the tattoo and drug user idea is going to be very country specific. There are many many MANY people who have tattoos that have never touched an illegal drug or abused legal ones. Gone are the days in the USA where tattoos associated with gangs, promiscuity, and drugs. Granted if someone has a known gang related tattoo that is different. But in general a tattoo is not an issue. I have 2, I have friends who have multiple tattoos and we are not druggies, alcoholics, gang members etc... The one friend has it on her wrist and works for the provincial government at the courthouse.

Because of the nature of the OP's tattoo it will probably have to be explained. Like its also been explained as long as you have not been a part of illegal activities, you should not have any problems.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thank you for your responses.

Yes, I am a communist, but I am not currently, nor have I ever been, in any way, shape or form, affiliated with any communist parties, or any parties which were formerly classified as "communist". Whatever political involvement I may or may not have partaken in would have been conducted in a highly private and anonymous manner and enviroment. I am also NOT a national of a country which has at some point in its history been under the rule of a so-called Communist Party. I am a national of a western european country, a non major and very low-risk country. I do not have a criminal record of any kind, nor have I had one which has been purged. I do not now, nor have I ever, used, taken, abused, whatever, anything that is classified as an illegal drug.

My U.S. citizen has no criminal history short of various minor traffic violations. She also does not now, nor has ever, used, taken, abused, etc., anything that is classified as an illegal drug. She has no tattoos, but is left-leaning and if USCIS decides to simply google her, they will likely come to the same conclusion, that she is left-leaning, ie. left not as in liberal but left as in actual left.

I am aware that being a communist is not necessarily a crime in the United States, however, from what I understand there is an actual law that more or less bars communists from becoming United States citizens through naturalization.

uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-9771.html - Quite an interesting read.

Edited by usurper

Yes, I am a communist, but I have not affiliated myself with any communist parties, or any parties which were formerly classified as "communist". Whatever political involvement I may or may not have partaken in has been conducted in a highly private and anonymous manner and enviroment. I am also NOT a national of a country which has at some point in its history been under the rule of a so-called Communist Party. I am a national of a western european country, a non major and very low-risk country. I do not have a criminal record of any kind, nor have I had one which has been purged. I do not now, nor have I ever, used, taken, abused, whatever, anything that is classified as an illegal drug.

My U.S. citizen has no criminal history short of various minor traffic violations. She also does not now, nor has ever, used, taken, abused, etc., anything that is classified as an illegal drug. She has no tattoos, but is left-leaning and if USCIS decides to simply google her, they will likely come to the same conclusion, that she is left-leaning, ie. left not as in liberal but left as in actual left.

I am aware that being a communist is not necessarily a crime in the United States, however, from what I understand there is an actual law that more or less bars communists from becoming United States citizens through naturalization.

uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-9771.html - Quite an interesting read.

Then as others have pointed out, it is only an issue if someone thinks you are part of a gang, in which case you can point to your criminal history that is pure enough for you to search for the Holy Grail. :)

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yes, I am a communist, but I am not currently, nor have I ever been, in any way, shape or form, affiliated with any communist parties, or any parties which were formerly classified as "communist". Whatever political involvement I may or may not have partaken in would have been conducted in a highly private and anonymous manner and enviroment. I am also NOT a national of a country which has at some point in its history been under the rule of a so-called Communist Party. I am a national of a western european country, a non major and very low-risk country. I do not have a criminal record of any kind, nor have I had one which has been purged. I do not now, nor have I ever, used, taken, abused, whatever, anything that is classified as an illegal drug.

You are applying for an immigrant visa, not naturalization. So, even if there is such a law, it does not apply to your visa process. You can live legally and happily ever after in the USA without ever becoming a citizen. Citizenship is optional.

From the rest of what you write above, I would consider your tattoo a non-issue for the visa process.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Someone mention covering your tat...if U R going to, make sure that a picture is taken of the original tat before U delete or try to delete

When its removed with no one but U to vouch what was there B4 it raises a red-flag, when medical is done the Dr does make notes if U have

a/some tats, and depending on what country U are from at times the CO can be picky about tats as in Honduras, and some other Spanish countries,

but at times I understand they dont question it, just be honest if asked explain yourself...best wishes

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Someone mention covering your tat...if U R going to, make sure that a picture is taken of the original tat before U delete or try to delete

When its removed with no one but U to vouch what was there B4 it raises a red-flag, when medical is done the Dr does make notes if U have

a/some tats, and depending on what country U are from at times the CO can be picky about tats as in Honduras, and some other Spanish countries,

but at times I understand they dont question it, just be honest if asked explain yourself...best wishes

good point as I was thinking alongthe same line. It does not seem it will be so big an issue from posts here butIF you decide to cover or erase it, have the tattoo photographed in case someone starts to wonder what was there previously and if you are trying to cover up something else.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** one personal attack and one post quoting same removed. Post constructive advice or do not post. ***

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

**** one personal attack and one post quoting same removed. Post constructive advice or do not post. ***

Thanks very much. :)

LATEST STEPS:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.